Can neighbour’s water leak damage wood fence & how can I influence him to fix it .

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by justine77, 21st Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

There’s water gathering on the front side of my property and I’m unsure how long it’s been there possibly weeks

can it damage the wooden fence between properties or anything else ?

Water company said it’s from the neighbour who I have texted a few times in the last week with no response and I was with his wife when the water company came but she said to just text the husband and she had to race to an appointment .
    Can it do damage this long puddle of water on mine and her property crossing the wooden fence between us .

ive said aBd I think the water company left a note saying they need to call a plumber to fix a leak .

we have had leaks also from a big nature strip tree with massive roots damaging our brick fences nature strip driveway and water pipes which should be another thread .

2. justine77

Has anyone dealt with council re damage from big tree roots from council nature strip tree . ?
    It’s damaging brick walls driveways nature strip water pipes .
    They came a couple of years ago and drilled open the nature strip to prove the damage to my brick wall driveway water pipes were from the huge roots and we all saw for ourselves . Then they removed the wrong tree and did nothing and didn’t pay anything
    I think they want me to give them quotes to fix my brick wall driveway and the bill from previous pipe damage water leak and only when they have all that then they may ir may not pay up . My neighbours tall brick way is also leaning and damaged
    maybe I’ll take photos and write to them again and ask why they removed the wrong tree after drilling sidewalk to confirm the huge roots causing damage .any advice please
    I don’t know if neighbours current leak is also roots causing pipe damage like I had near there I. Our front gardens a couple of years ago .

3. turk

turk Well-Known Member

And here I am thinking you just moved into a small country town

Not making enemies in country town
    But I also don’t want to make enemies in a small town that I just moved to .
    Not making enemies in country town

housechopper2 and Lindsay_W like this.
  4. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

What type of water is it, sewage, storm, tap ? They'd be crazy not to fix it, if it's council tap water because it will cost them a fortune in the long run.

A little bit of water will not damage a fence but a lot for weeks on end in the other hand might, you can always dig a trench to divert the water away from the fence or under it and through it, it's a bit hard to comment without any photos as the possibilities are huge.

5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'd be digging a fish pond in the back yard and let the free water fill it up.

I'd also be questioning the wife about the urgent appointment. Sounds fishy to me.

Lindsay_W, Tom Rivera and Antoni0 like this.
  6. justine77

There’s concrete there so I can’t dig a trench
    I hope they call a pumbet and get it fixed now that I know it’s from their property not mine

7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Why don't you just speak to your neighbours? You don't have to influence them you just have to have a conversation, it's not hard.
    Why do these sorts of issues always happen to you @justine77.
    Is it the same neighbours you had this issue with? :D
    This is a real problem . Can’t sleep as neighbour moans passionately too loud

Last edited by a moderator: 4th May, 2020
    Tom Rivera, craigc, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  8. Lindsay_W

Rugrat likes this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

quote..
    They came a couple of years ago and drilled open the nature strip to prove the damage to my brick wall driveway water pipes were from the huge roots and we all saw for ourselves . Then they removed the wrong tree and did nothing and didn’t pay anything..

Sounds like a good local council ..Just be careful when you ring the local Plumber he may be part of the town that's wants the new sports complex..

Dan Wood, datto and Lindsay_W like this.
  10. justine77

i have written to the council and i ll see what happens from that
    linsay i have spoken to theneighbour all along over the last few weeks but no results.
    a mutual friend has also spoken to them.
    Thank you Antonio for a helpful message
    sorry to those who are unsure where i live. i sometimes post for various family properties.

Antoni0 likes this.
  11. Lindsay_W

So have they flat out refused to fix the issue?
    Which, if it's a leaking water pipe could be costing them $$ ?