Tresspassers parking and blocking my car apartment block carpark

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by justine77, 2nd Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

Tresspassers are parking and blocking my car in the apartment block carpark. what can we do ? Can we put a sign up tha t' unauthorised cars will be towed away.' And then where do we tow it and how much does that cost. Theres no body corporate. its an apartment block owned by one owner with people renting. Are there any other solutions as even with calling the property manager who told her a few times to move she didnt move her car till their third time. she doesnt live her but her friend or boyfriend does but there just isnt enough parking for extra cars. possible solutions please.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

3. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

th is is on public areas as owner owns the parking . no tow truck would fit in any apartment car parking area i dont think

4. The Y-man

"Public areas" are owned by government, not private owners.

The Y-man

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  5. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I really empatise with you and this is probably the biggest problem with apartment living. Abuse/Misuse of common property.
    Sounds like both yourself and the offender are both Tenants, and come under the same PM?
    Since you already told the PM, (They could have issued Breach Notice but did they? ) the next level up is to tell the Owner if you can ind their details.
    I doubt any tow-truck would follow your instruction and even if they do, you will have to work out a payment term assuming you wont want to be out-of-pocket.

6. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Buy an old engine block, jam it under the back of the car, and chain it to the diff.

And then set up a webcam, and the Youtube revenue should buy you a new car and a secure parking space...

marty998, Stoffo, Morgs and 3 others like this.
  7. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Option 1: Park on the street
    Option 2: Gladwrap entire car

I'd recommend option 1 and I definitely wouldn't do option 2.

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Some states dont allow vehicles to be towed. ie NSW. But a illegally parked vehicle may allow you to seek police assistance. (They can call the owners mobile)

Using a motion detection camera you can identify the culprit and the strata manager can enforce action on the owner (perhaps). A trolley jack and dolly wheels from supercheap auto would allow the car to be repositioned to a place more inconvenient and it may be impossible to remove (hard against a wall between pillars). Then the camera will provide endless enjoyment after they return and you can post to YouTube. They will be asking how that happened !!

You could also seek approval for a removable securapost to lock others out.

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

@justine77
    does your car have a large tow ball? Can trespassers knock her car window with a cricket ball?

10. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I would just park behind their car. I did this at my office. Guy kept parking in my car bay. Parked behind him and now he has to see me face to face to ask me to move my car. They generally wont do it again after this.

craigc, Kassy, Dan Wood and 1 other person like this.
  11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Buy some kids chalk (as it is in big pieces)
    Draw a line around the car like a parking bay and write "******* PARKING ONLY" in front :p

12. The Y-man

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I wouldnt jump to that conclusion that a bylaw allows clamping in NSW. A illegally parked car, visitor etc or a errant pizza delivery car could be impacted and arent a party to the strata scheme and would not have knowledge of any rule. Thats asking for police involvement.

We had a issue like this at work where rail commuters started to park in our spaces. We locked them into their space that day and when we left that evening. Then next day it was unlocked and a note left on their car to remind them of their illegal use of our property and remind them that HD cameras were recording their every act and vandalism would result in charges. The approx four offenders learned very fast in each instance. Police attended for two of them who thought this unfair. Police accepted the act and our release of the vehicle the next business day and instructed the fools not to park on private property as it was not within their powers unless we refused to allow the vehicle out in a reasonable manner or demanded payment etc

14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I dunno, but you have so many prob with these units, maybe get rid of them.....

I await the next issue :)

shorty and Michael Mitchell like this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Like this

Attached Files:

Dan Wood likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia