Newer v/s older houses

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by SydneyInvestor, 18th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I suspected you are describing Kallangur. A lot has changed since you bought, have a look at the satellite and street view images. Have you considered developing this property? If there is nothing similar currently on Real-estate, have a look at sold properties for comparables. Is now the best time to be selling?

SydneyInvestor likes this.
  2. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

Thanks @Angel , looked at both Sold and current stock but cant find something really similar. Mine is single garage on 672 sqm block. Agents play garage also as a big factor.
    This might or might not be the best time to sell although it is predicted as such specially for Brisbane. But having talked to a lot of agents in past one year, I understand that average capital growth in Moreton Bay is expected to be 2-3 %. I have 2 properties in Kallangur. Want to sell this one and buy in another area which could give better Capital Growth.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

As I often write - new houses / units can have as many problems as old ones. Our 100+ year old IPs have as many problems as our much newer units.

In one of the areas I have an IP, we see things like:
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-vic-epping-134660842
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-epping-134654562

Which do you think is the better deal? :)

The Y-man

4. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I had also grown up under the tradtional belief of older house and bigger block was the way to go.

The examples listed really do go to show why that is not neccesarily the case.
    The newer property is 30k cheaper, has depreciation benefits, or for an OO its not in need of any modernizing and is probably nicer to live it - which itself holds tenant appeal if it's to be let out.

In other words what do you get for an extra 30k if you buy the older place?
    A bigger yard that cant be used for anything anyway, and kitchen/bathroom that needs updating.

5. The Y-man

Some good points - also the unit will get a better rent.

That's what we thought too when we bought in the area and got a unit in 2013.

Damn wishing we bought a house now though :( We paid $280k for a unit. Today is worth about $460k. House back then would have been $320~ish. Now in that $580k range.....

The Y-man

6. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I guess timeframe plays a part too. What's new today is old eventually.

I guess from a financial point of view the unit in the example might be a better option today and the shorter term, but once the benefits of new are gone then the pendulum might swing back to the house in an old vs old comparison.

craigc, Firefly99 and The Y-man like this.
  7. The Y-man

Last edited: 24th Oct, 2020
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Not always the case though. I've added to that leaking shower thread about three brand new bathrooms put into our son's two houses. High end renovations, so basically rip out, brand new professionally done bathrooms. All three leaked.

We had our own professionally built bathroom leak.

New houses aren't immune from mistakes or short cuts made by builders any more than older houses.

I would expect some issues in any older house that really needs a new bathroom, but not when you've paid over $1m to a builder for a total renovation (basically a total new build), only to have two beautiful bathrooms needing to be fixed. There's a third bathroom in our son's house that is downstairs on a slab, but I'm sure that also will be leaking. Same builder/plumber... He will get that checked soon with some type of moisture meter on the walls to see what's going on there.

9. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

2nd one does not mention land size but older also looks decent.
    But going with 1st now makes sense to me only if I can do some renovation to it before selling as both are almost same price give or take $10k-$20k. So the saying that in older houses land will get more value will only be true if I hold for say 15-20 years in good area or do some renovation

What would you do :)

10. The Y-man

Harvest Home rd is 168.1 sqm
    20 Dressage is 630 sqm (irregular)

Note: you can get land sizes, overlays etc FREE from
    MapShareVic

The Y-man

11. The Y-man

Easily Dressage.

Bus on Findon, Derby and McD rds going to Station.

H-Home - LOTS of houses in the area - tons of vacancies.

Note post #25 above.

The Y-man

12. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

I think the main consideration comes down to who is the target market and how does your property present?. Sales in mbrc atm are largely fhb who want a property that presents well and that they can move into without hassle. A quick repaint, new carpet, flooring etc removing obvious defects will go a long way to getting a good result if the other fundamentals are there. These properties are selling at the first open for at or above listing due to low stock (in most areas). The marketing and staging is also key, if it looks good online you'll get people through the door irrespective of new or old and it will sell quickly...

Last edited: 7th Nov, 2020
  13. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

interesting comment, what do you mean by the other guy who bought the townhouse only making 20% ? / how do you come to this %?

14. The Y-man

You bought house for $500k.
    Now worth $750k
    Gain of $250k which is 50% of $500k

Other person bought new for $700k
    Now worth $840k
    Gain of $140k which is 20% of $700k

The Y-man

Elives likes this.