WA Leaking shower damages carpet

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by D3xx, 23rd Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. D3xx

D3xx Well-Known Member

I have a near new house where the shower has been leaking through the (clay brick) wall into an adjacent room. The builder has agreed that the leak is covered by their warranty. They will re-seal the shower and repair the wall. However the moisture has been seeping under the carpet in the adjacent room for some time. Black mold is growing on the underside of the carpet. The inspector says they will treat the mold and give the carpet a clean.

I am concerned about the black mold, and possible permanent damage to the carpet. Should i be pressing the builder to replace the carpet? Would i have the right to do that?

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Resealing isn't going to do a damn thing, it's a temporary measure at best. This just means they didn't apply a good waterproofing coat. There's no way you have such bad mold unless it's a more than just a minor leak.

I had the same issue and the only way to truly resolve it was to fully rip out the bathroom and start again.

Pingu1988, Perp and The Y-man like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Agree with this.

The Y-man

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Agree! It needs a new waterproof membrane, which goes under the tiles.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Agree with everyone else. This needs a proper "fix" not a bandaid that is being offered.

And no way would I accept carpet to just be cleaned after it's been soaked in black mould. New carpet is required.

Perp likes this.
  6. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Showers can only leak in 2 ways: from the water inlet which connects to your taps (copper breach) behind the tiles, or though your waste/tiles (waterproof membrane). If it's the latter then your can use this stuff which is painted onto your tiles and grout (handyman can do)

CPC 220ml Shower Plug Sealant

If your copper beach is leaking then you need to remove the tiles in front of your taps and braize it (plumber job), apply waterproof membrane then tile over it

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Would it be safe to assume if the carpet in an adjacent room is mouldy, then it's unlikely to be the waste/tiles or waterproof membrane? Shouldn't the shower enclosure itself have an L shaped bracket all the way around?

We've had a water leak in our own shower when hubby cut away a bit of silicone and obviously nicked what was left and water slowly filled up the base under the tiles and it dripped into our garage. Thankfully it was easy to see because the garage ceiling is unlined.

We let it dry out, re-siliconed the edges and all was good.

In an IP we had a leak in the pipes and the wall behind the plumbing (in a hallway) was clearly "wet", mouldy and the paint was peeling from the cinder block wall. So the floor beside that ran "beside" the wall, and no under it, which meant the floor wasn't water affected.

Our son's ensuite tiles were replaced, and the living room below repaired under his builder warranty because they used the L shape angle to stop the water, and then tiled over the top of it. So after a couple of years, the water made its way over the top of the bracket through the grout lines and gravity took it down through the ceiling into the downstairs.

He's had this happen in two bathrooms (same house) in a very high end, professional renovation and still they got it wrong. He also had it happen in his previous house, same issue... the L shape didn't go high enough and it cupped the boards outside, as well as leaked into the downstairs area.

It amazes me that professional tilers can get this stuff wrong.

8. D3xx

D3xx Well-Known Member

The builder will fix the shower. So thats not a problem. My question is about the carpet. Do i have recourse to demand that they replace the carpet?

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Have you spoken to your insurance company? My understanding is the damage caused to the rest of the house by the water would be insurance.

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would ask - you have nothing to lose.

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Make sure that the builder does a proper job of the fix and not just a band aid job.

12. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

If it only wets the carpet when the shower is blocked then Its highly likely the tilers did not install a puddle flange which is the reason why the water travels under the tiles.

Kinetic 80 x 50mm Puddle Flange