Worried i bought a dud property (First home)

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Did i buy a Dud, 23rd Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Did i buy a Dud

Did i buy a Dud New Member

Hello all,

I purchased a property in Raceview, QLD earlier this year.

It was brand new, there have been a few issues and i'm worried that fixing the defects will only be a temporary fix.

There has been a lot of movement, the deck/patio slab has moved about 1inch from the house as a result there is a hap there
    The door to the patio has about a 2cm gap in the seal.

The main bathroom door doesn't close and i can see the seal coming away in the shower and the wall next to it.

There are cracks on many of the door frames, they are usually vertical though some are diagonal.

On the side of the house there is a large diagonal crack through the brickwork which is around 5 feet long. This is a crack that zigzags with the brick work.

I understand you have the 12 month defect warranty and the 6.5 year QBCC warranty also.

I know houses take a few years to settle, but this much movement so early is alarming.
    I was a little naive when buying the house and could of done more due diligence, it is an expensive lesson to learn.

I can provide photos soon if required and will answer any questions you may have.

Any information or help would be appreciated.

I have engaged the builder and they will send a site inspector to the house, i am contemplating getting my own inspector to list the defects so i can present the builder with the list.

The house is a nice new house, but if its going to have ongoing issues i would rather wash my hands with it.

Thanks

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You absolutely need to get your own inspector and perhaps structural engineer to ascertain what is causing all this movement.

luckyone, robboat, MTR and 4 others like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I was going to say "buyer's remorse" when I saw the thread title, but sounds a bit more serious.
    Unfortunately with new properties, no amount of DD will prepare you for this. The warranty however should be the main fall back position.

FYI - that's why so many of the forum members prefer to build and sell new properties, but never buy them! :p

The Y-man

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgages, Finance & Property Strategy Aust Wide Business Member

Definitely get all your stuff ready for an insurance claim - it doesn't sound great unfortunately!

5. Paul@PAS

[email protected] Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The builder is sometimes your first point of contact not always QBCC

Building work has finished and there are defects
    Once building work is finished, the Queensland Home Warranty Scheme may help if:
    • the builder fails to rectify defects which have resulted in a QBCC Direction to Rectify
    • the builder becomes bankrupt or goes into liquidation
    • the builder is in another country or deceased
    • the building suffers from subsidence or settlement.
    But I would engage a independent adviser even if the cost isnt covered to ensure the work is property fixed. Get cracking (pardon the pun) as there are strict limits to time:

For structural defects you must lodge this complaint form within 3 months of noticing the defect

Stoffo likes this.
  6. radioactive

radioactive Well-Known Member

How did it go?

The Y-man likes this.
  7. Did i buy a Dud

ended up selling the house, was able to get out. Now just looking for a new property, but taking my time and doing alot of due diligence prior to buying.

8. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What age property are you looking for next?

My House QLD likes this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I home you got a good price for it.

Cousinit likes this.
  10. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

We bought a 7 year old apartment that was a disaster. We were lucky enough to sell it for what we bought it for a few years later and if we’d paid rent that whole time it would have been a lot more so it wasn’t a big deal. My advice is to get out ASAP.

11. Did i buy a Dud

Sold for 8k less than purchase, but we did have FHOG so came out just a bit down, but overall it taught me alot.

Looking at houses now that are atleast 5 years old. But anywhere within a 25min Radius of Bris CBD. Just looking at my options, high demand and low stock at the moment, so everything is getting snapped up. I am in no rush though and won't panic buy.

The Y-man likes this.
  12. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Yes it's a good lesson. Even 5 years may not be enough time to see if it has settled but it's better than brand new I guess. I get the appeal of new, but for the premium you pay, you could buy an oldie but goodie, renovate the hell out of it, and still end up like 50-100k ahead.

Did i buy a Dud likes this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Where would you like to live?

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.