Kitchen Reno - Replace Doors Vs Professional Spray Paint

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Shady, 9th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Has anyone done the exercise of costing up the difference between having the doors and panels replaced on a kitchen compared to having them professionally painted?
    I wonder if the sprayed doors will have the same longevity as the new doors.

I have no issue with painting the doors myself in a lower end property reno but for a mid priced property in a middle ring suburb I want a better finished end product.

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

3. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Cheers,
    I've been googling all day and also phoned several companies. Got one quote form Dudley and Sons of $3500 to removed and respray door/panels 2 pak poly. New Benchtop would probably be under $1500 including install (postformed laminate)...is $5000 too much to spend on a kitchen that I plan to rip out in a few years...me thinks so.
    The extra $20pw in rent doesn't justify it but the extra $20,000 in equity may.

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

How big is the kitchen? $5k can get you a new one ....

Travelbug likes this.
  5. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

This one,
    Blue Kitchens and Suspended Ceiling Grid light box / what were they thinking!!!

Had a quote over the phone of $5k to replace doors with melamine door.
    We settle on Monday and have a couple of dozen tradies lined up for Tuesday to quote on various things....Also got another resurfaceing company coming to quote.

6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

... those cabinet doors still look pretty good... can you get away with just changing the benchtop? Spending $5k on something that you would rip apart sounds like a waste, and would just resurfacing add a lot to the CG?

wylie likes this.
  7. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

As mentioned $5K will get you a new kitchen if you go to a wholesaler. We got quote of $20-30K for our PPOR (pretty big kitchen). We pulled the old one out ourselves and paid $8K installed for one.

8. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Yeah, kitchen is in good condition.
    Looking to do a little facelift and tidy up then get it revalued. Priority number one is the external house, landscape and entry here....
    Impressive Before and After Reno Example

Priorty number two is the kitchen. Long term plan is to reconfigure the kitchen area and install new kitchen. It's just not a good layout

Last edited: 9th Dec, 2016
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't spend anything on it if you will rip it out in a few years. I cannot imagine it would improve the valuation enough to warrant the time and money.

Joynz likes this.