Blue Kitchens and Suspended Ceiling Grid light box / what were they thinking!!!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Shady, 4th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Just bought a property in Brisbane which has a gawd aweful suspended ceiling light thingy'ma'jig.The house actually has some character about it which is what drew me to it. But I think the suspended ceiling grids should be reserved for offices.

Going to tidy the place up a little before putting tenants in. It's a 4/2/2 which should get $560-$580pw rent so not a cheap price point but nothing over the top.
    Thought about painting over kitchen door and doing something with the ceiling. Removing it and having normal ceiling is out of the question for the time being. I'll save that for later.

Thought about putting stained plywood boards in the grid with some low voltage lighting as per attached photo shopped pic. Flat roof so no access to roof void for electricity and brick walls (mostly) so no running electricity in the wall cavity.

Attached Files:

158 likes this.
  2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Shady and EN710 like this.
  3. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Haha looks like. Disco! Definitely needs to change.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why not drop the ceiling now and paint whatever is above that?

We bought a house with a suspended office ceiling, painted the whole place and about 5pm Frday night before the first open house to find a tenant, hubby told me he'd decided to rip out the suspended ceiling. :eek:

Be aware the owner may have installed that rather than deal with whatever is up there (but you could lift out a tile to see before committing yourself to removing it all).

In our case, the whole plaster ceiling of the combined dining and living room was peeling with hundreds of little bits peeling off. We had to scrape them back as best we could and paint the plaster plus the top section of the wall that night (through gritted teeth as I tried my hardest not to slap my husband).

But... it was done. And looked so much better.

Edit: Forgot to add that I love those ceilings that pinkboy has listed to but you are spending money changing something that really needs to be ripped out.

Shady likes this.
  5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Damn @pinkboy taking credit for my work! :p

Chrispy and EN710 like this.
  6. wylie

Sorry... wrong guy. Let me rephrase that...

Edit: Forgot to add that I love those ceilings that DaveM has listed... :)

EN710, Marg4000 and DaveM like this.
  7. Countrynoob

Countrynoob Member

Love the ceilings that were posted but I think Wylie is right you will need to check just in case there is something lurking, but having said that if it looks fine I love the wood slats, I don't think I have ever seen a suspended ceiling like that in a house before! Is the whole ceiling lights? Is there likely to be a reason for that? Ie it's a super dark kitchen? Just a thought?

8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Leave it. Is it going to get you more rent or equity?

Shady and wylie like this.
  9. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Wow. So the whole thing lights up light a giant inverted lightbox?

10. wylie

I also wouldn't bother doing anything if you don't have the time to fix whatever is underneath.

But if you are in there painting something else (which I think you said you were), then it is an easy thing to lift a panel and see how much prep work is needed. If it is clean and ready to patch and paint, and you are already there with painting gear, then I'd do it.

(And... I'm not sure I should admit this, but I don't mind it really.)

Shady likes this.
  11. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing! If it were in my house I would modernise the kitchen and make the ceiling a feature.

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I love those lights!!! for some reason 2001 A Space Odyssey comes to mind. Install HAL

The Y-man

Chrispy likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia