NSW Buying an IP in Campbeltown area (Southwest Sydney)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by SJ&L, 16th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Hi guys, hope everyone is well. I have been browsing the forum every now and then and first time posting a question, hope to get some ideas from someone with more knowledge and wisdom.

We are thinking to buy an IP in the Campbeltown area because we want to be close to where the infrastructure investments are (i.e., the new airport).
    • Our budget is around $700k-$800k
    • We want to get a sizable land that we can put a GF in, to increase cash flow.
    • We are not looking in the new areas like Leppington and Oran Park as most of the properties there are outside our budget and also blocks are too small for a GF.
    • We are looking in the older areas such as Campbeltown, Leumeah, Ruse, Bradbury, Ambarvale, Rosemeadow, St Helens Park, Narellan and etc
    Does anyone familiar with the area knows what are the good suburbs/areas to buy for capital growth and what are the suburbs/areas to avoid? In general is the area easy to get tenant?

2. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Replying to my own post... wondering if anyone has some ideas on my question.

3. Goodlucktt22

Goodlucktt22 Well-Known Member

Not an expert for the area. But buying in your listed suburbs is not a bad idea. Tenants are not hard to get in campbeltown as long as your property isn't running down.

In terms of cg. I think this area would generally grow slowly and steadily. One problem of buying here is generally you have a bit more choices compared to Western Sydney (Eh St marys) All these suburbs are a bit too similar to each other and campbeltown is a bit far from city that is all

4. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Thank you Goodlucktt22! I was thinking if any of these suburbs would have public housing etc that we may need to avoid. Good to know they are kind of the same.

5. Goodlucktt22

Goodlucktt22 Well-Known Member

Public housing are mostly in Airds and Claymore. Actually you can search this on Microburbs.

Dee-Sydney and SJ&L like this.
  6. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Better opportunities in St Marys/Colyton imho. Plus I just prefer these areas rather than Campbelltown. I feel more at home in the greater west!! :)

I used to own in Ambarvale and Campbelltown. Sold out of them to buy some other investments. They were OK no real problems really.

SJ&L likes this.
  7. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

8. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Interesting read, thanks for that! I will need to read it again to digest, especially the threads on postcode from 2560 to 2570. :)

9. Piston_Broke

I would suggest going out for a drive.
    The are some good areas are the back of Rosemeadow.
    Bradbury high side is ok, near the pub or the townhouses not so much.
    Ruse on the other side of Airds is also worth a look, just a bit out.
    Ambarvale is hit'n miss, mostly miss. The back side near Glen Alpin is not bad.
    St Helens park is ok, also a bit far out. Blair Athol and the north side of Woodbine are also ok.

Mt Annan and Currens Hill are a bit out, but many owner occupiers.

Depends on what you're looking foor. Ther are plenty older homes near the cbd areas ripe for development if that's your thing as well.

10. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

I don’t think your budget is realistic for an existing house with granny flat potential .. sorry but market has moved .. I have seen some with existing granny flats for over $1.2m.

11. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Thank you! Surely you are a local knows the area very well! ;)

12. Piston_Broke