When do you need to engage a building certifier? Wollongong, NSW

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mavis, 5th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

We're about to commence a renovation on a property with a builder and his team - full re-do of bathroom and kitchen, knocking down of a wall with works to reinforce the support beams.. electrical works, etc

Do we need to engage a building certifier to tick off on waterproofing, the support beam etc?
    I'm feeling a little overwhelmed!

Any advice?

If I do need to engage one, does anyone have a recommendation for a building certifier in the wollongong region?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The builder should co-ordinate that and may have one they use and prefer. Their license. The final certification will need to ensure all works are compliant / signed off as compliant or inspected as required.

Ask the builder how it works. Its not an owner build.

3. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul - i shall. I looked into it as it was within the contract that it was my responsibility not the builder's.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

This is where all too many people think that the certifier is the builder's responsibility but they are independent, working on your behalf not the builder's. The building owner engages the certifier or uses Council's inspector (as was the case in the good old days).

All well and good that the builder may recommend XYZ certifiers but is this akin to the vendor's real estate agent recommending a solicitor/conveyancer? The Builder may have good reason to recommend a certifier eg. they are very knowledgeable in the specific type of work not that they are inclined to turn a blind eye to bad practices.

Mavis likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Mavis likes this.
  6. Mavis

Mavis Well-Known Member

I agree with both..

I've looked at the NSW Building Professionals Board and it's scary.
    I've rung the structural engineer company and I'll see what they recommend - i really just want to know that the builder will/has done what is required to provide the appropriate support and because it's not one that the council gets involved, I cannot engage their certifiers anyway..

Interesting process.. learning lots everyday.