Townhouse / apartment development

Discussion in 'Development' started by Taringa, 6th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Taringa

Taringa New Member

Hi Forum members, I’m considering developing a site (LMR2, 600sqm,15m frontage, non flood or character overlays), and want to understand if I could genuinely accommodate 4 x Townhouses (3BR 2B 1C) on the block. I understand the build footprint is 45% which will allow 135sqm per townhouse if across 2 levels - is this possible? Also, what is their a ball park dollar figure to budget for the build - would be aiming for solid build - suspended concrete, cavity brick etc.
    appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

2. Zenith666

Zenith666 Member

Hi Taringa,
    The lack of responses is indicative of the answer which is pretty much 'how long is a piece of string.'

Could you get 4 townhouses on a 600sqm block, possibly, dependant on the size, and orientation of the block, architect, and town planner.
    Id say your more likely to get 3 good size townhouses on there with ease.

With regards to a build, id budget for a bespoke build price (seems to be what your thinking) of around $2000-$3000 per square meter.

3. Taringa

Taringa New Member

thanks very kindly for the reply. Appreciate what you are saying around the architect design and relationship with the town planner etc. 3 beds might be to ambitious, I might have success with 2 beds x 4 townhouses - would you think? also, can you tell me if I’m calculating the build price correctly if I simply apply 45% build footprint to the land size (600sqm) as the approx sqm of the build then times x $2/3000 i.e 270sqm x $3000 = $810k?
    The bespoke build price your suggesting, is that the average price for a solid build like this?
    Clearly, this is all hypothetical, but it is very helpful to know what sort of price I can expect before I start the process…
    Thanks for coming back to me.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I also thought I'd leave this question for someone who knows the answer.

We had a two large blocks, knew we could develop one or both. We took it to a town planner once we bought the second block, then did nothing for several years.

Eventually got serious and asked a town planner "what is the best use for this block"?

That the only way I think you will get an answer.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Here is a thread that I answered this afternoon. Hopefully it might help you.

I still have no idea how many square metres our townhouses are, or the price per square metre. Those figures just don't stick in my brain.

Townhouse development

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  6. Fabs

Fabs Active Member

Being an architect with experience in townhouse developments, my gut feeling is that 15m width is probably not enough for 4 townhouses.

It's almost certain that they won't fit side by side (even with nil side setback each house would be only 3.5m wide internally and would only work if you have rear lane access for carparking).

A proposal for a villa-type development with basement carparking may be more feasible but it will depend on solar orientation of the land and size requirements for private open space, side setbacks, etc.

7. Taringa

Taringa New Member

Thanks Fabs. the development would be going from the front to the back of the block. The length of the block goes back 41 meters...