Time from obtaining DA to slab party

Discussion in 'Development' started by iDex, 3rd May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. iDex

iDex Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Would like to get some opinions on the average/common length of time in takes for a builder to get on site once DA has been granted?

I have been provided an approximate timeline for a 6 unit development (attached below) and it shows that it will take roughly 12 weeks from DA to get everything ready before slab party can begin. It seems rather long to me or am I mistaken?

TIA,
    Dex

Attached Files:

2. 6993

6993 Active Member

After the DA is approved, it can take anything from 10 weeks to actually hit the ground with site fencing going up. It will also depend on the location of your project. Is it in NSW?

3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

12 weeks is pretty tight, I assume it's a design and construct deal based on the wording in your post so you'd definitely save time on that end but you still need to get the working drawings done, get all necessary signoff and certifications (heaps more for apartments), then finalise and nominate their subbies which BN they needed the working drawings for), THEN and only then start earthworks and then slab.

I'd budget 24 weeks if you haven't done it before or there isn't an appointed and really on the ball PM acting solely in your best interest

4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

12 weeks seems fast to me.

5. sanj

Just had a look, in your graph they only received DA in week 12 and then another 12 weeks, but there had been 12 weeks worth of work since da submission and prior to receipt, so the 24 odd weeks can be cut down but I definitely wouldn't recommend they way they have done it.

You don't know if you'll get planning approval let alone any potential changes or conditions required, you're signing a contract prior to receiving anywhere near an accurate costing, there is hardly any time allocated to actually working on ensuring the final.workong drawings are not just compliant but actually great plans vs the bare minimum and so, what if prices come back way higher than budgeted leaving you with no profit? You've now got a whole lot of consultants owed money, potentially builder too, and you'll prob be charged again If you have to make substantial alterations to bring price down, rendering their previous work redundant etc etc

Basically the timeline in that graph is impractical and a bit of a con

Perthguy likes this.
  6. iDex

iDex Well-Known Member

@sanj so if I am reading this correct, it would be wiser for me to only sign a building contract with a builder only after DA has been granted so I would know the true cost in case some thing need changing?

Archaon likes this.
  7. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I have listed timelines on our most recent 4unit development here
    I must point out however, that a lot of the prior work had been completed prior to getting DA. I think we submitted for DA back in September some time.

So 12 weeks for DA sounds pretty tight.

Blacky

MTR likes this.
  8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

6 units - are these apartments or villas/townhouses?
    I think 12 weeks is actually a bit long, way to long if it's villas/townhouses.

I'd assign 2-3 mths to getting the DA
    Then I would do fire, BERS stars, structurals, engineerings, private certifier
    That will then give you fixed price and HIA contract.
    Lodge for Building Permit for 10 days then go to site (earthworks etc) about 1-2 weeks after building permit granted.
    Depending on weather retaining is needed earthworks and slab prep should only take 2 weeks.
    I'd want to be at slab party 8-12 weeks after DA.

9. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Oops - I miss read it. I thought the OP was saying how long to get DA.

So yeah, 12weeks after DA would be reasonable to be on site - depending on what other works the builder had completed prior to getting DA.
    We were at site about 4weeks after DA - but I dont think that is very 'normal'. We had done a lot of pre-works.
    The demolision process can take 6 weeks alone.

Blacky

10. iDex

iDex Well-Known Member

@Blacky I had a look at your 4 unit development post and interpreted that you go DA in March and slab party was 4 weeks later so that made me question if 12 weeks was too long. Did I misinterpret it wrongly?

@Westminster its a 6 unit apartment development! Hopefully works can begin earlier than 12 weeks. I hope to start a development thread once I receive DA :)

Last edited: 3rd May, 2017
  11. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

That is correct. However, we already had engineering 90% complete. Most builders I know wont do that, as approval may require structual change. This risk was bourne by the builder.

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The larger the dev the more its subject to your builder. A client once said he thought three weeks per unit. His was 6 weeks x 6. He had a great price but a builer not ready to start. Discuss with your builder.

And when a engineering issue is found add extra down time

iDex likes this.
  13. iDex

iDex Well-Known Member

I may have to do a bit of buttering up so I can get that kind of service! :p

14. sanj

Applying the same rules for apartments vs townhouses is playing with fire IMO, and there is zero chance of getting to site and having slab poured within 8 weeks of receiving DA for apertments, unless highly risky and quite likely silly actions are taken

15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

True, looking back at my thoughts last night I might have been a bit over hopeful. But basically I think all that work should be done after DA not during (as per their timeline) as changes at DA will affect it and will need to be redone and if the DA is not approved then it's money spent for nothing.

sanj likes this.