VIC The Market has certainly changed direction - Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by NWHT, 19th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which way do you think the market is headed in Melbourne?

Poll closed 23rd Jan, 2020.
  1. Strong Upwards

0.9%
  2. Upwards

9.3%
  3. Flatning

23.0%
  4. Flat

22.1%
  5. Downward

30.8%
  6. Strong Downward

14.0%
  1. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

Pro athletes go through so much hardship and training, one bad injury (or ball tampering incident) and your career is over.

Plus, many struggle with life, work and finance after they retire from sports.

2. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Please explain to me how it’s not gospel when their is a direct correlation between these school catchment zones and house prices?
    You said yourself McKinnon has approximately a 10% increase in house prices.
    The increase is directly related to the school and the reason being is the perceived benefit to the child’s education. I don’t think these schools hide the fact they are top 10 rated in their marketing handouts.

No matter your strategy to put your children their it’s done because of a better perceived outcome. If anyone argues this they are absolutely kidding themselves. And the reality is most people would just be taken the path of purchasing inflated house property.

Let me ask you, if McKinnon were say ranked 50. Do you believe property in its catchment would be as valuable?

I’ll leave the other points alone because I have very strong views on private schooling that I know not everyone will agree with and people tend to get very upset when this is challenged.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

BTW.... who are the 3 that voted...... strong upward..... slap on the wrist with a feather duster:eek::p

4. turk

turk Well-Known Member

There is a direct correlation between zones and prices, but I was referring to the metrics you listed people using as gospel to pay this premium(Asian communities with almost non-existent sports, music or drama programs but with high ATARs) and confirmed in your post below

'Mate it was an off the cuff comment more just having a crack at these metrics which many people use as gospel thinking paying ridiculously over inflated house prices is worth it because hey the school has a high score and that will result in a better outcome for their child’s education.
    It’s laughable at best'.

You stated metric of the success of a school is

'If you want a true metric of a schools success, we should be measuring incomes of students over periods of time.'

Our metrics were for a culturally diverse school with strong teacher and peer support along with strong academics and a well rounded program including outdoor education, music and sport.

I prefer my metrics.

5. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Agents :p

VB09 and Silverson like this.
  6. kmrr

kmrr Well-Known Member

on the topic of schools and whether a high enter means the will earn more money, anecdotally I have heard from my peers working for the Big 4 and other professional services that there is definitely a bias to kids coming from better known private schools.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

It could also be related to the whole networking thing of "who you know counts more than what
    you know".

The Y-man

Someguy likes this.
  8. JamesP

JamesP Well-Known Member

Check this out. Ignoring the recent boom one is a 350k property the other 600k. There are leagues between those two estates and Jarryd crescent in particular is a very undesirable street.

4 Hasken Court, Berwick, Vic 3806
    28 Jarryd Crescent, Berwick, Vic 3806

For those who know the area it's extremely unbalanced and bizarre to see areas in Old Berwick, Edrington. Avebury and Beaconsfield selling for the same price as Mansfield, Bemersyde, Chase/Kingsmere estates.

I think it's a distortion of migrants having no idea what they're buying. Properties of any form are instantly becoming 600k. This will all straighten itself out at one point.

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2019
    JohnPropChat likes this.
  9. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

10. The Y-man

11. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2019
  12. The Y-man

...and yet, at a million bucks, I still feel it's overpriced. I can think of places personally more attractive for me at that price than this one (as an investment or home) - but that could be a personal taste thing.

The Y-man

p.s. I should be talking the place up! I have shares in the REIT that owns Oakleigh shopping centre and Chaddy!! :eek::p

Triton likes this.
  13. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

I can't think of much better locations than Oakleigh for 1 mill.

14. The Y-man

For our IP's I would been looking closer in @ ascot vale, brunswick, etc ~ but that's just me....

I think past purchases also clouds my vision - having bought several in the Clayton / C-South areas in the past, I inevitably compare current prices with the past (even if it was years ago) thinking "crap, the area is sooooo expy now!!"

The Y-man

15. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

For private schooling or against?

16. stockboy

stockboy Active Member

Would appreciate your thoughts on my situation here:

Leaving Australia, should I sell?

17. 2jzzzz

2jzzzz Active Member

What do you think about the $600 - $900 bracket? 4 2 2, 15km from CBD, family type home with backyard and park across the road?

18. The Y-man

Which side of town?

The Y-man

19. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

This one in Werribee sold for $525k in July 2017 at the peak. I was there at the auction and these 2 cocky Chinese dudes in a new S350 Merc took it for that price. The house is on sale again for the same price range >> https://www.realestate.com.au/property/31-tower-rd-werribee-vic-3030. I'd be keen to see how much it goes for this time around.

20. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

The only change/improvement is that they replaced the carpet by laminate flooring. Nothing else. I think they can get $550k-$570k for it. Location is pretty good, decent house on a corner block (but not big land size). An ok choice for FHB. I would say August 2017 was not market peak but close. Based on my observation, the market of that part of Werribee only peaked around early 2018 between Feb to April. Now it has come of the boil for around 5%.

rjw180 likes this.