Leaving Australia, should I sell?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by stockboy, 12th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. stockboy

stockboy Active Member

Hi friends :) First-time caller long time listener etc.

Got a dilemma, and not sure if this is the right forum. But thought I'd ask.

I bought a property in Sep 2016 in Pakenham, Vic. 4br house. Bought for $390k. 375m2 lot. 10 year old house. We added some improvements (some landscaping - artificial grass, no maintenance! And a very nice deck). I think it's probably worth about $440k-$450k based on comparable sales.

My family and I will be moving to the United States in the next couple of years. My dilemma: do I keep the house and rent it out, or sell?

The financial output of renting it out won't be too much. I'll have to pay some land tax but it'll be less than $700 a year. There will obviously be maintenance, etc, but it works out okay.

My question: will any potential capital appreciation be worth it? I've had advice from Americans telling me to sell it because who knows what will happen in the property market, it could crash, I could go into financial ruin, etc.

The other con: if I sell in the states, I'll have to pay 32.5% tax on the sale. If I sell now, I won't have to pay anything.

So let's say I sell right now at $450k. I walk away with net $110k.

Let's say I wait five years and sell it for $500k or whatever. I might have $200k in equity, but because I'll pay 32.5% tax on the sale, I walk away with $135k net.

So...the extra benefit isn't worth that much. Should I sell right before we leave, or keep it?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Will your ever come back?

Marg4000 likes this.
  3. stockboy

stockboy Active Member

Unknown. Likely not for many years. Over a decade.

4. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Go into financial ruin with a 290k debt and 110k in equity and a job earning usd.

Id say your friends should be the last people to be giving financial advice.

MWI, Dave Radelaide, Bunbury and 2 others like this.
  5. stockboy

stockboy Active Member

Haha I was just doing round numbers, it's $340k debt but about $100k in equity now.

The quote I've been given is "If everything goes right for you, in 10 years you could end up with low double digits profit but only of if most things (that are out of control) go your way".

Worst case scenario is financial ruin, according to them. Complete market crash.

6. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Agreed need to analyse the figures. But a complete market crash would mean the entire world economy has gone downhill (which i cant see happening) and then you have massive social unrest and financial ruin will be the least of ones concern.

Would be yellow vests on steroids.

Shazi likes this.
  7. stockboy

stockboy Active Member

They raise a good point though. Could Pakenham prices drop so far the sale later becomes worth less than a sale now?

MTR likes this.
  8. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Yes that is possible.

9. stockboy

stockboy Active Member

Also being pointed out to me that selling the property and investing in equities would be a better use of the money.

I'm not sure. I would rather keep the house in Aus given we *may* end up coming back, but just not sure.

10. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

What if equities dropped 40% as some are suggesting (not saying it will happen).

spludgey likes this.
  11. stockboy

stockboy Active Member

Right, but I guess the question is whether I'm going to get a better return by selling and investing in equities versus keeping the property.

12. wylie

I cannot help but think of a friend who sold before moving overseas, came back and couldn't afford to buy in again.

If it pays for itself, and you don't really need the funds now, then wouldn't it take both a massive drop in rent plus a massive drop in house value for you to lose?

Also, I've no idea what the suburb is like. I'm talking generally.

qak likes this.
  13. stockboy

stockboy Active Member

I mean, the assumption here is that Australian property will increase over time. That's not necessarily a given.

MTR likes this.
  14. wylie

It's pretty much the way things go though. Ask anyone who bought 20 or 30 years ago if they thought their properties would be worth so much today.

But of course, in the 40 years I've held properties, they've got up, down, sideways. I'm not saying they don't drop. But they generally head up over the long term.

And if a property pays for itself, the rents will continue to rise (and sometimes fall, but not often in my experience) so slowly they put money into your pocket.

If rents fall, and house prices fall drastically and don't rise again, who knows what sort of world we will be in then. If that happens, many people will be in big trouble. But history shows this not to be the case, but anything is possible I guess. It has happened in other countries, but you sometimes have to make a decision and stick it out.

If it is a normal suburb, not a mining town that's experienced massive quick rises, and massive quick falls, then generally houses are going to be worth more in ten years or 20 years than they are now IMHO.

And in all my years of renting, the biggest drop in rent was dropping just over $100 a week in Balmoral when a tenant broke the lease. We didn't charge break fees (they had a family illness and had enough problems to deal with). At that time Balmoral had hundreds of brand new apartments to choose from and we suffered that loss. It hurt our cashflow.

Three years later we are back to the old rent. So, short term things can cause short term problems. As long as you go in with eyes open you are semi-prepared. If things really turn south for our economy, then everyone is in trouble.

Last edited: 12th Jan, 2019
    Sackie, spoon, TMNT and 7 others like this.
  15. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

To me, it depends on if you consider Australia your “home” country, i.e., where you have the strongest family and/or cultural connections. If it is Australia, and if there is a possibility you will return some day, even if not until retirement, then I would hold the property.

If you consider another country your “home”, and the chances of returning to Australia remote, then probably sell.
    Marg

16. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Really? When has that ever not been the case?
    You don’t seem to know squat about equities.
    Your American friends don’t know squat about Australian real estate. Theirs crashed and burned, ours didn’t.

17. stockboy

stockboy Active Member

The S&P500 has gained on average about 9-10% over the long term. Australian property hasn't produced returns of that magnitude across the board.

If that was the case, my little 4br property in Pakenham will be worth $800,000 in 10 years. That's simply not going to happen.

Dean Collins likes this.
  18. wylie

The Coorparoo house we bought 18 years ago for $156k was valued six months ago at $980K.

I recall when it dropped in value (about ten years ago) from $650k to $600k (according to an agent, and identical house next door sold at that time). We wondered if we should sell and do something else. Surely with such growth within ten years, it couldn't keep growing in value. (Actually, I wasn't concerned that it would not continue to grow, but we always seemed to be short of cash and it was tempting to take the profit and run).

I'm so glad we didn't.

It can happen.

(But it sounds like you are looking for an answer that tallies with your thoughts? What do YOU want to do?)

Morgs likes this.
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I wouldn’t say it’s impossible Pakenham would be $800k in 10 years time. My parents first home in Sydney they sold for $192k in late 1995. Last sale in mid 2015 it resold for 1.32mill. No major changes made to the house in that time. That’s a tad over 10% annual growth over the 20 year period.

Also, we bought a home in the Sydney suburbs, mid-late 2008 for $695k. I was doing some basic maths to work out if it grew at x percent annually, when would it be worth a million. Turns out my maths was correct and it didn’t take long for it to get to $1 mill. But at the time when we bought it for under $700k, I thought $1 mill was a mind blowingly huge number.

Now, it’s not. In Sydney I think $2 mill is the new $1 mill.

And @wylie had that comment about people getting priced out, that’s real. Lots of people who had property in Sydney and sold up to move elsewhere, when they wanted to move back they found that they couldn’t afford to buy back in.

Last edited: 12th Jan, 2019
    EN710 and Archaon like this.
  20. stockboy

stockboy Active Member

No idea! That's why I'm asking. I just don't think advice like "property always goes up by more than equities" is particularly good or realistic.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.