Sharesight users - Feature Requests

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by wombat777, 1st May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Sorry I am spamming the thread!
    I have also noticed LICs distributions are automatically being picked up as trust income.
    Not sure if this is on purpose or if they have been grouped together with ETFs?

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

3. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

Some LIC's can have the same treatment. i.e. they can distribute Capital Gains.

4. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    This is indeed the issue I have raised earlier with cap gains dividend distributions not being picked up as such :)
    On my other post, I was however referring to how LICs should not be treated as trust income.

5. David@Sharesight

David@Sharesight Member

@Ouga On digging into this issue further, we think it would be best to simply record the LIC Capital Gain component in the comments section of a payout. Using the capital gains options currently available on the payout form may lead to an incorrect franking amount, or incorrect net dividend amount. We are currently looking at options for better handling LIC Capital Gains components moving forward. More detail can be found in this thread in the Sharesight community forum.

Redwing and Ouga like this.
  6. OscarBravo

OscarBravo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this would be hard work! I've always used Sharesight as a portfolio tracker primarily - I think there are other tools you can use for fundamental analysis etc.

Having said that, I'd love to be able to measure my performance against a 60/40 or 70/30 portfolio! Any chance?

7. David@Sharesight

David@Sharesight Member

You can benchmark your portfolio against any ETF Sharesight tracks on our paid plans which is a reasonable proxy for this. Have a look at this blog post where we talk about using this feature to benchmark against "diversified" or "high growth" ETFs.

OscarBravo likes this.
  8. wombat777

David@Sharesight likes this.
  9. David@Sharesight

David@Sharesight Member

Ok, circling back on this now. Is there anything else to add to this consolidated list @wombat777 ?

10. wombat777

Thanks! Really looking forward to this and happy to help directly in terms of input at the detailed level.

#5 is the biggie feature for me.

Updates to the list from above with the additional suggestions:
    1. Comparison Indices: Better list of comparison indices, including accumulation indices. Better features for comparing multiple stocks.
    2. Franking Credits: Better display of holding and portfolio performance charts with respect to franking credits
    3. Back Testing
      1. Easier way to use it for entering back-dated trades ( e.g. for back testing ):
      2. Multiple tickers, a back-dated date and an amount ( e.g. $10k in each )
      3. DRP on or off
      4. Performance with and without capital injections - see this post by @Redwing Sharesight users - Feature Requests
      5. Compare two investment strategies - selections of two separate groups of tickers and a time range - Sharesight users - Feature Requests
    4. Options/Warrants: Better functionality for ASX Options - tracking of exercise expiry date, e-mail alerts for expiry, calculation of cost of exercising (and showing this on summary screen).
    5. Price targets / Portolio Forecasting: Ability to enter multiple date-based price targets for speculative holdings and to display portfolio forecasts including charts/graphs ( some sophistication could be added into this, e.g. sensitivity/monte-carlo analysis, parameters for configuring sensitivity/monte-carlo analysis ). Options for other parameters could be year-based entry of date-based MCAP estimates and assumptions for dilution or # of shares on issue.
    6. Broker Import: Better linkage with ING superannuation ( among other brokers ). I think you need to engage directly with the relevant organisations where possible. Also tracking balances of cash accounts ( often regular bank accounts ).
    7. Superannuation: under openbanking initiative
      1. Tracking of cash balance
      2. Tracking of traditional superannuation investment holdings
      3. Tracking of direct investment portfolios
      4. Tracking of portfolio fees
    8. Stock Transfer: Ability to transfer stock between portfolios
    9. Performance graphs: Ability to specify a custom time range for the main performance graphs, rather than just the pre-defined ranges in the drop down. See also this suggestion for a better performance chart - Sharesight users - Feature Requests
    10. Timeliness of superannuation unit prices: request for more frequent updates
    11. Performance screens/displays - the performance screens/displays are still very confusing as they are currently presented. Should display P.A. return figures as the default and perhaps an option for other calculation methods ( with a meaningful suffix added and perhaps a helper link ).
      1. From @mimosa - "Totally agree with the suggestions to a) make it clear whether performance is total or p.a - the p.a suffix should always be used when performance is p.a and b) to have the option of displaying performance with/without injection of new capital."
      2. From @mimosa - "Also, if I ask Sharesight to show me perfomance over a certain period in the overview tab and I have not held a particular share for all of that period, I would like that to be shown somehow (perhaps an asterix or letters like B,S) to flag that transactions for this share took place during the requested period. The performance figures are misleading if the user is not aware that transactions took place during the period."
    12. Calculation of free-carry targets - see this post - Sharesight users - Feature Requests
    13. Compare performance of two portfolios - see this post by @BKRinvesting - Sharesight users - Feature Requests

Last edited: 13th Jul, 2018
    BKRinvesting and Redwing like this.
  11. David@Sharesight

David@Sharesight Member

Looks good, i'll pass this on for discussion and find out more.

12. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

Would be good if there was a BSP or DSSP option for LIC’s like WHF and AFI...rather than having to manually add it in.

@FruitCake@ and asw1 like this.
  13. Cityman

Cityman Well-Known Member

Any chance the historical share checker can be extended beyond the 10 years?

A decade is about to pass post GFC and the major markets have been in a bull market since - so 10 years may not provide a telling story etc.

BTW - nice to see a link there made between sharesight and pocketsmith. Would be good if it could go a step further and info from each could be seen live on each dashboard etc. Not sure if that would be possible but they seem very complimentary products.

A local version of a personalcapital would be fantastic.

enoxaparin and Redwing like this.
  14. David@Sharesight

David@Sharesight Member

Thanks everyone for your feature suggestions. Firstly, I just want to say that our priority with developing Sharesight in the short to medium term is focusing on improving performance and usability - so even suggested features we like may take a significant time to be developed (or may fall off our roadmap in the future entirely) as other projects take precedence.

That said, I’ll touch on each suggested feature below:

1) Comparison Indices: The licencing costs involved in providing indices are prohibitive, though we do offer benchmarking against index tracking ETFs which is a close substitute, if there is an ETF we track in Sharesight that is not available as a benchmark, let us know and we should be able to add it (more info here: Benchmarking your portfolio against ETFs | Sharesight )
    2) Displaying Franking Credits in charts: This could be something we can look into further but we’d need to know more detail about how it would be used, in particular:

• What people see as the benefit of having that insight available
    • How having that insight available would change your investing decisions

3) Back Testing: A dedicated back-testing feature is maybe outside the scope of Sharesight for now, but you can do some basic testing by creating a seperate testing portfolio with different assumptions when creating the portfolio.

4) Options/Warrants: There is a level of interest in this in our community forum here: Options if you add your +1s to the IDEA thread there it will help us prioritise it against other feature ideas in our forum

5) Price targets / Forecasting: Would be quite a bit of work and is not on our radar for now

6) ING superannuation integration: If anyone has contacts at ING - we’re happy to talk to them about integrating with Sharesight’s API: Why you should partner with Sharesight | Sharesight

7) Superannuation under Open Banking regime: We’re following the changes coming with Open Banking (unfortunately brokers are not part of it at this stage) with Superannuation coming in one of the latter ‘phases’ of the regime in a few years time.

8) Transfer stock between portfolios: We tossed this one around, and can see it being useful in scenarios like transferring stocks between family members portfolios for example, is there any other scenarios people think this would be useful?

9) Custom time ranges/date picker on performance graphs: Improvements here may come as part of our efforts to improve usability / site performance - but we can’t commit to anything at this stage

10) More frequent unit price updates: We’re at the mercy of our data providers on some of these, most of the Australian managed funds we track are updated daily, some less frequently, depends on the fund.

11) PA figures on performance graphs? Improvements are coming here as part of our usability project

12) Free-carry targets: not on our radar for now (but suggest it as an idea in our community forum and if there's sufficient interest we can look into it)

13) Compare performance of two portfolios: This is an interesting idea, we’re not entirely sure the best way to make it work, we’re thinking perhaps adding the portfolios as a benchmark you can select, but there would be some work in making this happen. Is this what you’d like to see for this?

Last edited by a moderator: 18th Jul, 2019
    Redwing likes this.
  15. wombat777

Thanks @David@Sharesight - the feature of looking at franking credits also makes sense when setting up a test portfolio so I think 2) in relevent for 3).

For my superannuation I have a number of holdings where franking is quite relevant and I think useful to be able to see the information. It might cause me to adjust my investment mix.

16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

This is what I think I need.

I've just set up Sharesight for tracking my SMSF portfolio, which has a mixture of shares and managed funds.

I was disappointed that the performance figure published for the portfolio seems to be based on current holdings and does not take into consideration capital injection or past holdings. ie if you have a buy and hold portfolio, you'll see a reasonable performance figure - but if you have previously moved to cash and then more recently entered back into the market, your performance seems to be based on your recent purchases rather than anything you've done in the past.

I'm more interested in seeing how the whole portfolio has performed, both from the perspective of overall growth rate (including capital injections) and underlying performance (excluding capital injections).

I did come to the conclusion that I'm most likely going to be looking for some kind of IRR or perhaps Return on Capital type of measure.

Actually, the entire subject of how to measure portfolio returns (given capital injection, expenses, moving in and out of positions) is probably a good subject for another thread.

17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I guess with the level of your ability you could build your own XIRR. I understand the formulae is:

The value of the XIRR is calculated as the value of rate that satisfies the following equation:

[​IMG]

where Pj is the j'th payment, dj is the j'th payment date and d1 is the 0'th payment date.

Then it'd be possible to crosscheck Excel to make sure it's right to the 10th decimal.

18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

19. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Yeh, nah :D

upload_2020-2-28_10-11-31.png

20. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Gees, you're a hard taskmaster. So 1 + 1 does equal 3?