Sharesight users - Feature Requests

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by wombat777, 1st May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

If you use sharesight, would be great to compile a list of feature requests and then get a campaign going to get them implemented.

For me:
    1. Comparison Indices: Better list of comparison indices, including accumulation indices. Better features for comparing multiple stocks.
    2. Franking Credits: Better display of holding and portfolio performance charts with respect to franking credits
    3. Back Testing
      • Easier way to use it for entering back-dated trades ( e.g. for back testing ):
      • Multiple tickers, a back-dated date and an amount ( e.g. $10k in each )
      • DRP on or off
    4. Options/Warrants: Better functionality for ASX Options - tracking of exercise expiry date, e-mail alerts for expiry, calculation of cost of exercising
    5. Price targets / Portolio Forecasting: Ability to enter multiple date-based price targets for speculative holdings and to display portfolio forecasts including charts/graphs ( some sophistication could be added into this, e.g. sensitivity/monte-carlo analysis, parameters for configuring sensitivity/monte-carlo analysis )
    6. Broker Import: Better linkage with ING
    7. Superannuation: under openbanking initiative
      • Tracking of cash balance
      • Tracking of traditional superannuation investment holdings
      • Tracking of direct investment portfolios
      • Tracking of portfolio fees
    Please, please, please contribute your suggestions. We'll have better success getting improvements implemented as a group.

2. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

Like suggestions 1, 2 and 3. Especially suggestion 2.

With my SMSF, Sharesight already does most of these things (with the exception of tracking fees) so I was reasonably happy with that. But happy to hear views other people might have,

3. wombat777

@orangestreet are there specific comparison indices you are interested in. Some can be achieved by finding an equivalent ETF

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 9.23.51 pm.png

Dragging @Nodrog into this. What are the accumulation indices we should be asking for? You regularly post this chart below, but are there any other accumulation indices that are worthwhile for the ASX ( that can't be achieved with an ticker for an index ETF).

Are there good/preferred international accumulation indices for industrials?

4D1855F8-5E0B-4067-AAC1-DC9DD03D7C1C.jpeg

4. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it, I think Sharesight, in the past have been pretty clear that they only want to include (for comparison) those indices that you can invest in. So I don't think they plan on including accumulation indices such as the ones you have mentioned above.

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think you'll find that the accumulation indices are "owned" by S&P and they charge ridiculous amounts of money to gain access to their data.

I came across this about 10 years ago when I was trying to build a platform for comparing investment performance across different types of assets - you simply could not get the accumulation index data unless you were a large institution with $$$ to spend.

So it's more likely that Sharesight can't include that data (or can't afford to).

6. wombat777

Could be partly solved if ETF providers had ETF products
    But if enough people ask for it ... does give greater scope for determining an investment strategy. This is essentially the list, except it’s the accumulation versions most of us are interested in.

Sector Indices

7. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    When I tried it, it incorrectly reported income from VAS not marking it as trust income.
    I also found there were discrepencies in the dividend amounts for some reason I was unable to figure out.
    But I would have thought sharesight would be able to accurately report trust income when distributions are from an ETF like VAS. Having to do this kind of correction manually was a bit of a pain.
    Maybe it has changed since?

8. wombat777

This is probably something you’re better raising as a bug report with them. Alternatively ask the question in their community forum:

Sharesight Community Forum

9. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    I actually did that a while back with unfortunately no answer from the community forum or them.
    That made me reconsider using the service and I have not used it since as it is supposed to be pretty much hands off.

10. Summer of George

Summer of George Active Member

In addition to what you mentioned, I would like to see

• ability to transfer stock between portfolio's
    I was just curious as to how that would change the income?
    I have noticed that it seems the Trust/Non Trust is not very well done on Sharesight
    I still use the annual tax form for the shares that provide them

wombat777 likes this.
  11. mimosa

mimosa Well-Known Member

Big 'yes' to number 1, especially stock comparison.
    Can you elaborate on number 2?

I would also like to see:
    - ability to specify a custom time range for the main performance graphs, rather than just the pre-defined ranges in the drop down. Maybe this is already possible somehow but I can't see it.
    - for one of my Super funds sharesight only updates the unit prices monthly. I wish it was updated daily but I guess I need to let it go since Super is a long term investment anyway and fiddling is probably not a good idea. :D. No doubt this comes down to how sharesight sources the data, either paying for a feed or scraping websites and there is a limit to what makes sense for them to do. Maybe your point 7 would help with this? I'm not familiar with open banking initiative .

Interesting discussion, thanks for starting it Wombat.

12. wombat777

Thanks for the suggestion on time ranges.

This is a mockup of what I would like in an improved performance chart.

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 7.19.00 pm.png

Summer of George likes this.
  13. mimosa

mimosa Well-Known Member

Thanks for the visual. Probably not high on my personal wish list, but horses for courses.

14. wombat777

Part of the intent is to get better stats displayed as well. Useful when comparing alternative holdings. I have a play portfolio that I enter dummy trades into for backtesting/comparisons.

15. David@Sharesight

David@Sharesight Member

Thanks for starting this thread wombat777 - David from Sharesight here - If there are particular ideas/features that are in demand here, I'll pass them on to our team for consideration.

Regarding this, we've made a number of improvements on how we handle ETF distributions in the last year and as part of that work now record all ETFs as trust income. We plan to have a blog post/explainer that covers all the improvements we've made re: ETFs out before the EOFY that will go into more detail on this.

Observer, orangestreet and wombat777 like this.
  16. wombat777

Thanks @David@Sharesight, would appreciate it if you can do what you can to get these features on your roadmap.

Portfolio forecasting / price-targets is a biggie for me as at would help with monitoring and decision making with respect to my long-term speculative portfolio. There are a few people I'm aware of that also investing long-term in speculative shares and use sharesight. They may also find this type of functionality useful.

Consolidating the list from above with the additional suggestions:
    1. Comparison Indices: Better list of comparison indices, including accumulation indices. Better features for comparing multiple stocks.
    2. Franking Credits: Better display of holding and portfolio performance charts with respect to franking credits
    3. Back Testing
      • Easier way to use it for entering back-dated trades ( e.g. for back testing ):
      • Multiple tickers, a back-dated date and an amount ( e.g. $10k in each )
      • DRP on or off
    4. Options/Warrants: Better functionality for ASX Options - tracking of exercise expiry date, e-mail alerts for expiry, calculation of cost of exercising
    5. Price targets / Portolio Forecasting: Ability to enter multiple date-based price targets for speculative holdings and to display portfolio forecasts including charts/graphs ( some sophistication could be added into this, e.g. sensitivity/monte-carlo analysis, parameters for configuring sensitivity/monte-carlo analysis )
    6. Broker Import: Better linkage with ING
    7. Superannuation: under openbanking initiative
      • Tracking of cash balance
      • Tracking of traditional superannuation investment holdings
      • Tracking of direct investment portfolios
      • Tracking of portfolio fees
    8. Stock Transfer: Ability to transfer stock between portfolios
    9. Performance graphs: Ability to specify a custom time range for the main performance graphs, rather than just the pre-defined ranges in the drop down
    10. Timeliness of superannuation unit prices: request for more frequent updates

Redwing likes this.
  17. wombat777

@David@Sharesight - the post below has a simple example of how i’ve used sharesight for backtesting:

Questions for Thornhill (Advanced)

Would be great to have a way to quickly run scenarios like this. It’s fiddly to manually enter the trades. Probably some brainstorming required on how to best provide this type of functionality:

18. David@Sharesight

David@Sharesight Member

Thanks for wrapping up the ideas so far, there's probably more out there still, so I plan to follow this thread for a couple of weeks, then consolidate the ideas to pass to our product team for discussion.

Observer and Redwing like this.
  19. David@Sharesight

David@Sharesight Member

Thanks for clarifying how you use Sharesight for backtesting, very interesting.

20. wombat777

Adding to this list, better clarity on return figures. I’m always confused as to whether figures are per annum or not. A little helper link would clear it up.

If any figures in any screen are p.a. then this suffix should be shown.

Alternatively a preference setting.