Food & Dining Recommendations? Autoimmune cookbook

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 1st May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Update time ... Doc's today and she was very open about the "nightshade" intolerance, stating there had been some serious research done in the last three years and the cause was entirely plausible, given the family history ... so she's happy to let that sit for another 2-4 weeks and run blood tests again re the iron ... depending on how the heart tests come back.

On the heart note ... appears the electrical pulse is not moving across the heart properly. This can be caused by either "dead" tissue (ie, a small but unnoticed heart attack) or something like a hole in the heart that is finally showing symptoms as the rest of the body ages around it.

I've never had a cardio anything before - including ECG - so this "lack of electrical movement" may be something I was born with, or might be a recent occurrence ... off to the cardiologist on Monday for an echo.

May show to be, whatever the issue is, the cause of the excess floating iron (or not) - and may show to be cause of my "painless" migraines (or not) ... see what Monday brings.

2. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Not a doctor either but have you been checked for hemochromatosis? Hubbys ferritin levels are a bit high and I got him started on donating blood are Red Cross.

3. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Was looking through the threads and came across this one, @Lizzie, I hope all is well for you.

The thread reminded me about last week's Ask The Doctor - Series 1 Ep 9 Gut : ABC iview on gut health and I wondered if this might be something to consider?? Then of course, there's also Faecal Microbiota Transplants

The wonderful World of Google also revealed to me about functional or integrative doctors, similar to Our Practitioners - Sydney Integrative Medicine. Some are GPs, others are nutritionists/other health professions. With the interest in holistic health, I certainly realise that many are possibly adding this to their resume, so background reading and go in with eyes open!

Thought I would throw this in - food for thought (or possibly not, depending on what aspect you look at.... :rolleyes:)

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sorry about late reply - yes - that was the first thing the doc checked me for (years ago) and came back negative. That's when they started head scratching.

Gut health is good - although, after racing thru Dry July, might give sugar-free September a go

5. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Hi Lizzie

Hope all is going well for the health and eating plans. I have been reading the Mystery Gut and the Wahls Protocol. I have taken quite an interest in functional health and have felt benefits from taking some small steps. Dr Phelps and Dr Lee practice in Surry Hills.

The one thing I find with the functional health realm is that there are 100 books and 200 approaches, many contridicting each other! I'm slowly sorting through it and will see a dr or two for comment.

6. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Both fascinating books. All a bit tricky though as people are all a bit different and often require an approach that takes into account their medical history. Targeted therapy is where having a good Dr helps.

Chris Au likes this.