Ray Dalio's All Weather Portfolio

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by oddshapes, 17th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. oddshapes

oddshapes Well-Known Member

Big Debt Crises

For those interested, above is a link to get a free copy of 'Big Debt Crisis' by Ray Dalio in PDF format. Released in September '18 its currently selling on Amazon for $50 for paperback or $20 kindle, so a nice little saver.

I haven't read it yet, that'll have to wait till my xmas holidays but in the book he apparently outlines his 'All Weather Portfolio'.

2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

A good reminder:

Stock investment resources

3. oddshapes

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

No not your fault, a reminder is good as others don’t always look at that section / thread. With the new format here I struggle to find what’s where myself.

Sticky and oddshapes like this.
  5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

The All Seasons portfolio was popularized by Tony Robbins in his book MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom. It is a simplified version of Ray Dalio’s All Weather portfolio that can be easily implemented by everyday investors. Robbins talks more about it here.

From Portfolio Charts and looking like something from @dunno is the below

Lack of International stands out (though its an Oz version)

ALL SEASONS PORTFOLIO (AUS)

Asset Allocation
    The Permanent Portfolio is another 'all weather portfolio"

The Permanent Portfolio was proposed by Harry Browne in the book Fail Safe Investing. An excellent modern guide is The Permanent Portfolio: Harry Browne’s Long-Term Investment Strategy by Craig Rowland and J. M. Lawson.

Asset Allocation

6. oddshapes

Thanks @Redwing
    I actually have that book from Tony Robbins but haven't read it, I struggle with him, I always feel as though he's trying to sell me something.

Last edited by a moderator: 22nd Dec, 2018
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I’m not impressed at all with the Dalio / Robins’s Portfolio. There’s way too much sacrificed in opportunity cost trying to protect against unlikely events. Like all insurance one needs to weight it’s cost against the probability of the event occuring.

This table from Bill Bernstein for protecting against risk is one of the best researched around:

B31D4B52-3FB3-47E9-BE9E-23E133805646.jpeg

Fantastic booklet on this, and cheap as chips on Kindle ($3.77) is the following:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...-intl-ship&field-keywords=Deep+risk+bernstein

8. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

?????

No gold or bonds for me. Too risky!!! (in terms of my goals)

My objective is maximising long term purchasing power not minimising short term volatility.

mdk, Snowball, sharon and 1 other person like this.
  9. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Howdy @dunno.

Regardless of shorter term (shallow risk) or longer term (deep risk) risk I think we both agree on the solution being a Global Equity Portfolio:)?

Some say Bonds are for covering your ar*e but for me only in the flesh, not in investing:

83EFD3CC-EC7B-42A3-9892-E72513B49041.jpeg

10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

@dunno I meant the charts not the portfolio ;)

dunno likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.