Stock investment resources

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by The Falcon, 22nd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

An excellent article but gee I never cease to be amazed at the extents investors will go to in order to smooth “capital volatility”. I admit to being a simpleton but living off the natural yield (income) of the portfolio frees me from having to worry about all this complexity.

Although it does require a sizable portfolio I’m inclined to agree with Jack Bogle in that investors need to stop looking at price (with it’s scary volatility) and get back to the portfolio’s cashflow. That is shares for their dividends and bonds for their interest.

Personal view only off course.

Ynot likes this.
  2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

3. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Yes I found that interesting also.
    There has been very little discussion of factors on this forum, other than the mention of VVLU. Mixed views on boggleheads, but still mostly they mention small and value and even then it seems less and less.

I do wonder if at a time when CAPE ratio's are so high, if it would be safer to tilt a little towards value, since the last time PE ratio went insane (in the US) was in 2000 and the more you tiled towards value then, the less of a pulp you got beaten to by that market.

Redwing likes this.
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

FXD and Anne11 like this.
  5. APINDEX

APINDEX Well-Known Member

6. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Terrific @Anne11

I hadn't seen this one before. He's a very easy bloke to listen to. He also looks good for someone in his low 70's.

I enjoyed his book "The Most Important Thing" and came across this (2015) memo to his clients online today that refers to second level thinking...............

https://www.oaktreecapital.com/docs/default-source/memos/2015-09-09-its-not-easy.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Pleep and Anne11 like this.
  7. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

I reread the book ‘How much is enough’ and the book mentions the 4 elements of investing:

Quality
    Value
    Diversification
    Time

pippen likes this.
  8. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Anne11 likes this.
  9. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Great presentation on Index Investing including the theme of simplicity and the long complex journey some investors take before discovering it. Unfortunately there are many who never get it.

Virtual Boglehead Meeting #8: Education of an Index Investor by Rick Ferri

Q & A Session:

(Laughed at the comment by a women who sat with the wives of their investor husbands attending a three day Boglehead conference. They couldn’t understand why it took three days for their husbands to understand something so simple:D.)

Last edited: 5th Oct, 2018
  10. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing @Nodrog

If I'm honest, I'm probably not much beyond stage 3... that damn step 4 is harder than it looks ;):oops:

monk likes this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

He he ain’t that the truth. The road to simplicity is a complex one.

Struth, it must be time for some home brew to allow me to get greater insight into this:confused:. Uuuummmm Beer Meditation.....

E455960C-E2F1-440E-AF2D-3656F461DFE3.jpeg

sharon, Snowball and Ouga like this.
  12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

How would you tilt towards value @Anthony Brew

13. Redwing

upload_2018-10-5_19-33-11.png

Leonard Mlodinow vividly demonstrates how our lives are profoundly informed by chance and randomness and how everything from wine ratings and corporate success to school grades and political polls are less reliable than we believe.

By showing us the true nature of chance and revealing the psychological illusions that cause us to misjudge the world around us, Mlodinow gives us the tools we need to make more informed decisions. From the classroom to the courtroom and from financial markets to supermarkets, Mlodinow's intriguing and illuminating look at how randomness, chance, and probability affect our daily lives will intrigue, awe, and inspire.

Nodrog likes this.
  14. Anthony Brew

It's just a wondering thought, but as CAPE ratios are high, I wonder whether a higher tilt towards value would help in a similar way to the way I believe it did in 2000 when P/E went nutso before it crashed back to earth, yet I believe value stocks barely registered a blip. So my thoughts wonder to whether tilting with some proportion in VVLU like 30% of the portfolio in an attempt to reduce some possibility of high P/E stocks plummeting might help.
    There are definitely some big holes in this though, for instance the assumption of what CAPE *should* currently be going forward is pretty much a guess until it's hindsight. And secondly that value stocks didn't crash because they also missed the crazy run-up.
    So all in all I have no idea. I was wondering if people smarter than me had any idea, but it looks a whole lot like there is no consensus, most likely because it's just unknowable. I guess I answered my own question - find an AA I can stick to, stay the course, and go have a nap instead.

sharon and Nodrog like this.
  15. Redwing

16. Anthony Brew

@Redwing, yeah I remember reading that post of yours.
    But I always come back to the same conclusion with timing the market - that I accept the fact that I have absolutely no ability whatsoever to do it, and it is far more likely that whatever I do will actually screw it up more likely than help me.

Much like that video where the guy compared novice tennis players to professional tennis players. A professional tennis player wins by actually aiming for a very specific shot because they have the skills to make it a high percentage of the time. If a novice player did that, they would lose 90% of the time by missing and hitting it out. A novice wins by instead going for easy shots just to avoid hitting it out because avoiding screwing up will result in a higher chance of winning for the novice.

I could swing the racquet aiming at market timing of value shares, but there's too high a chance I will whack the ball over the fence.

sharon, Snowball, bobbyj and 2 others like this.
  17. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

oracle likes this.
  18. Redwing

Charles Ellis' paper "The Loser's Game" uses that tennis analogy for investing Professional tennis is a "winner's game" in that the victor wins by skillfully scoring more points. But amateur tennis is a "loser's game" in that the victor simply wins by not losing. The winner doesn't win by superior skill but simply by making fewer mistakes.

19. APINDEX

APINDEX Well-Known Member

Pleep and Anne11 like this.
  20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

The Worst Kind of Bear Market

25062939-75E8-4E82-9D5B-1F9315A94701.jpeg

Redwing, Snowball, asw1 and 1 other person like this.