NSW Pros and cons buying against a reserve/park

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Justx, 17th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Justx

Justx Active Member

Hi all,

what are the pros and cons against buying a house with its backyard against a reserve/park?

I.e. the backyard fence is the park border.

Does it have different rules regarding building GF in the back and the perimeter required from the border? Or is that totally dependent on the council?

TIA!

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Thoughts about living/buying next to a park

I remember there being a few other threads also

Possible noise from kids on bikes, or graffiti, have a nice high fence so it's not easily jumped.

Setbacks shouldn't be affected, but every council has different self important rules....

Council doesn't care or pay for 50% of the fence, any trees on their side or the roots entering your property that cause damage (there was one occasion here long ago where someone was compensated for tree roots damaging their pool, but only because they had meticulous records detailing having issue's with the type of tree's being planted many years prior and had raised the possibly then)...

3. Justx

Justx Active Member

Thanks for that! i put in park in the search but it kept coming up with parking money and accounts hahah

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

It depends on the area. Having a park behind your backyard can be nice and quiet compared to having noisy neighbours. I have known people to have gates at their backyard and enjoy having somewhere to go for a walk or give the dog a run. That being said on the negative side some areas with parks can pose break and enter risks, but it all depends on the area. Some places are really safe and the sometimes the less shared fences you have with a neighbour the freer you can feel.

Justx likes this.
  5. david_fintech

david_fintech Well-Known Member

Used to stay in one such property with park behind your backyard and didn't see much downside to that. You basically have an free extended backyard which you don't need to maintain. Noise from weekend sports is exciting.

Justx likes this.
  6. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

You might find there are more rodents in that environment.

Justx and aving1001 like this.