Thoughts about living/buying next to a park

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by TonyQLD, 16th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Is buying next to a park generally considered a

1. PRO

2. CON

3. NEITHER

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TonyQLD

TonyQLD Member

Hi everyone,

This is my 1st post (of many to come?) in this forum.

About to buy my 1st investment property, I am looking at buying a house located next to a park in Boondall (QLD). Would the fact that the house is located next to a park generally be viewed as a pro by most people or rather as a con?

I know at least one person that thinks that's definitely a con. I, however, thought that having only neighbours on one side rather than on both sides could be viewed as a positive things by most ?

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think of it as a pro. Question, does organised sport happen there? You’ll get heaps more local traffic and loads of whistles being blown (depending on the sports)

3. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Generally a pro. Depends on the park I guess.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

A relative of ours lives opposite a park which gives a lovely green outlook, except on sport Saturdays, when the street is a crawling mass of cars and loud hockey players.

Another friend backs onto a park and there is more "activity" by burglers in these parks, so that's a con too.

When our kids were small, I'd have loved to live beside a park to let them run around without having to drive to the park.

Piston_Broke and Stoffo like this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Depends on the park and neighborhood ......
    Open council parkland
    Council land with playground
    Tennis courts or sporting fields

Generally a pro in a nice suburb
    Sure weekend traffic, even traing during the week, but it is easy to put up with for a few hours a time/a couple of times a week, peace and quiet (no neighbor) the rest of the time ;)

datto and wylie like this.
  6. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I've got a property in Surfers Paradise overlooking a park next door. It's definitely a pro to have a nice green view with no buildings next door to block the sunlight as it faces north. The only con is during schoolies when the kids gather in the park to drink before heading into Cavill Ave. Sometimes they jump the fence and swim in the pool naked or just sunbathe topless next to the pool. There's nothing worse than having a bunch of 17-18yo girls sunbathing topless next to the pool if I want to go have a swim

TonyQLD, craigc, datto and 1 other person like this.
  7. MiffyFanBubbles

MiffyFanBubbles Active Member

I was told small parks are okay, but to avoid big parks at all costs. Someone's view of the park became an eyesore because there would just be litter everywhere. I imagine this would more likely be the case for those with playgrounds and BBQs.

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

For noise, I imagine Albert Park (lake) would be noisy for a week a year, and living too close to Sydney motorsport park may not be your cuppa tea (unless you were racing)

9. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

10. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

I have recently sold a property that backed onto a park

If you had nice neighbours that you got along with I rather have them looking into my yard/property than randoms in the park.

Also at night there can be drug deals happening in park, litter problems and people drinking etc.

Also watch out for council trees on the boundary as often they won't do anything about it until if falls on your house

Ben20 and Piston_Broke like this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Oh, I know this is true, my parents house backs onto a park with massive trees behind and the council just left them to grow until there was a massive storm to cause damage…. Luckily these trees are well away from the house, but some branches fell and it caused a lot of fence damage. Luckily no one was under it.

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

A park with a creek running through it can be ideal for growing some plants. A half moon will provide sufficient light to tend to the them without arousing unwanted attention.

The Y-man, craigc, Sandstorm and 4 others like this.
  13. Beginner1

Beginner1 Well-Known Member

For me it would depend on the park but I think if it was a small park (with no antisocial behaviour) it could be good for families with kids/family events. Also having a green outlook to the side of the house could be a pro.

14. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

A pro in a good suburb, and a con in a bad suburb.

In a good suburb, it is visually pleasing, green and open. The opposite attracts loiterers, drugs etc.

Firefly99 likes this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The fresh smell of xylene from graffiti tags takes you into the nature. The aroma of burning grass or the plastic recycling bin smoke balances it.

Tip Always make sure your fence is timber. It make less noise than colourbond at 2am when they kick it or push their mate into it.
    Colourbond also screams 'tag me I am a mural"

Community facilities are for all.

Attached Files:

Stoffo likes this.
  16. bythebay

bythebay Well-Known Member

If you have a dog, a park close by is pretty handy!