Newbie , where do I start?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Maro, 13th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Maro

Maro Member

Hi All,

I am young and new to shares investing. Have a bit of financial background and have been investing in property successfully.
    Where do I start or what to read about shares investing??

I am looking to buy fully franked dividend Shares. Any help is appreciated

Regards,

Brumbie likes this.
  2. Brumbie

Brumbie Well-Known Member

Hey Maro,
    Do you want to be active or passive?

Maro and Anne11 like this.
  3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

If you want to be a dividend investor then motivated money is a good starting read. The view is skewed like all pieces promoting something, not necessarily a bad thing.

LICs mostly pay fully franked dividends and you don't need to be a stock picker. Franking isn't a free lunch.

mdk, Zenith Chaos and Anne11 like this.
  4. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Investing in this forum means buying for the long term, not trading.

Diversification is important to mitigate against many types of risks. Only ASX shares pay fully (or partially) franked dividends. When the wise @Hodor says "no free lunch" he (Bran Stark warging him) is implying that there is a higher risk buying only shares with franked dividends - there is no global diversification (ASX only) and selecting shares for franked dividends compromises decision making (you're choosing shares for the wrong reason).

I suggest you read the posts in this forum and learn as much as you can from the wise men.

Investing, like anything, is not black and white. There is no guarantee that what you buy will perform as you expect. In theory, the longer you wait the more likely your returns will converge to your expectations. All you can do is choose the path where your objectives are most likely to be met. Knowing and accepting this is part of investor psychology, which is the last and possibly most important piece of the puzzle.

Maro, Anne11 and mdk like this.
  5. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Try and get to one of Peter Thornhill’s events.

Will give you the right mindset. Great brain fodder.

Peter Thornhill 2019

Chris Au, mdk and Zenith Chaos like this.
  6. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

You have received some great advice already.

I can add:

1 - Super Smart Money - Michael Holmes (just a few $$ on Kindle (great to read alongside Motivated Money).
    2 - The original LIC thread (started I think in 2016).
    3 - The original ETF thread.

Once you have begun the journey, come back and ask more specific questions. Know that you can read all you want but in the end you will have to actually invest your hard earned to truly understand. And that means, making a mistake or two. That is OK.

Understand yourself and your own biases and weaknesses. And don't forget your strengths too. Remember to keep telling yourself that the journey you are about to embark on is hardly new or path breaking. Almost every question you can think of would have been asked and answered by somebody either on this forum or elsewhere. Like they say, no stupid questions when it comes to your own money - ask away.

Stand on the shoulders of those who have walked the path before. Good luck and welcome:)

Last edited: 13th Jun, 2019
    Chris Au, Maro, Snowball and 7 others like this.
  7. MarkW

MarkW Well-Known Member

8. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Listen to Peter Thornhill but remember that he is a spruiker who gets paid to push people towards shares. Nothing wrong with his share advice at all, but you have to sort through a lot of biased rubbish as well.

Willy

Brumbie likes this.
  9. sfdoddsy

sfdoddsy Well-Known Member

If you are young and don't need the income from fully franked shares, or earn enough that you can't take full advantage, you might also want to research the various threads covering the difference between total returns and dividend growth returns.

Income is vital for me because I am ancient. But were I youthful again I'd probably concentrate on total return.

Redwing and Brumbie like this.
  10. Maro

Maro Member

Passive

11. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

As others have already posted, I’d be inclined to keep it fairly simple with an eye on your future objectives. ( Eg, starting a family, having someone at home to look after the kids etc).

Vas, Vgs are excellent etf’s covering both local and international share markets.

I’d keep contributing to super over the long term which will grow into another nest egg to utilise later in life.

Regards Jason

Anne11 and Maro like this.
  12. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

a200/vgs

13. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Maybe give some context if you are suggesting something that doesn't align with Maro's objectives of fully franked dividends...

Mws and Froxy like this.
  14. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

afi, mlt, bki, aui, dui, arg, whf are the only lics worth investing in for fully franked