New carpet in IP

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by lisawithane, 11th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. lisawithane

lisawithane Well-Known Member

hi! Wanted to hear from anyone who has replaced the carpet in their investment property, any suggestions on type of carpet to use and cost per m2 ? Any tips or things to be wary of?
    My PM has given me a quote but doesn't have a lot of detail so would like to see if I'm getting the right type of carpet for an IP and the right colour.

Thanks

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I usually just go to bunnings - nice, cheap and durable.

Cheers

Jamie

3. lisawithane

lisawithane Well-Known Member

Thanks Jamie.
    Any particular type of carpet from Bunnings?

4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

5. shimmy

shimmy Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa, I've been looking into this as I might be replacing carpets in the next year or so and I found this carpet at Harvey Norman that says:...

"SmartStrand Forever Clean is the only carpet that offers a full pet warranty, lifetime stain and soil protection warranty and extends this to rental property investors."

I don't know how much it costs but it sounds pretty good to me.

House likes this.
  6. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

Dunno about brands and styles, but some carpet places (eg: Steve's discount carpet in Geelong) do a lot of offcuts. We had 3 BRs we needed to do, 2 were in 1 shade of blue, and the other was a slightly different shade but not noticeable unless you put the 2 colors together - about half the price of buying from someone like Carpet Court.

7. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

I don't shy away from putting in new carpets, instant rent appeal. For an IP I always choose a very hard wearing type bordering on commercial suitable for high traffic (durability is the key as Jamie Moore suggests above), choose a darkish colour that means the inevitable marks from tenants are less noticeable, but not so dark it makes rooms look darker and smaller. I've had some good buys from the end of rolls etc. 2 bed units laid with underlay between $1000 & $1500 depending on size and getting rid of the old carpet.
    Google discount carpet in your area.

Northy85 and bob shovel like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

9. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

I like to put in a nice dark colour such as charcoal... so that even if red wine is spilled on the floor and not cleaned up, you can't tell anyway.

For your normal run of the mill rental, you'll go a durable polypropylene. No need for you to be a carpet expert - just ring your local carpet store and ask what the recommended lines are for rental properties and why. A lot of those polypropylenes are great in that to damage them you'd pretty much either have to iron it (aka tenant damage aka bond or insurance claim) or rip it to shreds with a fork (aka tenant damage aka bond or insurance claim).

Either way, I'd suggest going with an upgraded underlay to provide extra squishyness underfoot. It will give the impression that the carpet is more luxurious than it actually is, and it'll be warm and squishy underfoot.

Last edited: 21st Jul, 2016
  10. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Dark charcoal carpets for me. One styles fits all my IP's and I always have a box spare for those "accidents"

DaveM likes this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah the dark stuff, maybe a dark blue.
    You can find it pretty cheap if you shop around. There's a place in Brisbane that does it for $300 per room.

12. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

This. Hard wearing, durable, and a nice dark colour that hides tenants sins.

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Continental Carpets
    This company is on the southside of brisbane and they have a lot of new seconds,cheap per sqm's..

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2016
  14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I like how Bernadette "works closely with management team contributing to the development and implementation of administrative strategies, policies and practices. She ensures organisational effectiveness by providing leadership for the company's financial functions."
    Sounds like a government department.

House likes this.
  15. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Well if they just said "Accountant" then there'll be a whole lot of unfilled space....

16. House

House Well-Known Member

Does anyone use carpet tiles instead? Much easier to make stains, rips etc disappear.

17. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The good item with carpet tiles is you can change the tiles around,and if you buy something like Hugar and they are seconds from quotes ,then per sqm's and the time factor very low cost,they work well..

Plus i have 2 rooms left to do on a rental clean--up ,took about one hour to rip all the old tiles out yesterday,both rooms plus the hallway,not sure on the total sqm's but ,i intend to buy new seconds today,so if i can work out how to post a few pictures,i will post the costs and time and how it can change a room within hours,plus put all the old tiles on the footpath yesterday and they were gone within half an hour..

Last edited: 27th Jul, 2016
    irawin and House like this.
  18. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Saw a real estate agent website the other day where the receptionist's title was Director of First Impressions

marty998 likes this.
  19. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Carpet tiles these days can be good quality. There is a bloke in Marrickville, Sydney, that has good ones. Perfect for bedrooms.

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Does the polypropylene carpet feel awful in just a few years like it did many years ago when I vowed never to use it ever?