LIC & LIT Listed Investment Companies (LICs) 2023

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by monk, 1st Jan, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monk

monk Well-Known Member

{Note from mods - this thread split from here: Listed Investment Companies (LICs) 2022 [LIC & LIT]}

If you were to have these reflections with resulting anxiety & given this is a property forum, then some might say it's a wise decision that you now have 2 houses ;):D.

number 5, Nodrog and AzzA_ like this.
  2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

3. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this one. Yes - I have a few more holdings than I'd like, and intend to reduce/simplify eventually - but dealing with a large number of different shares in a portfolio is still much, much easier than dealing with property and tenants.

DJC, mistercoffee, number 5 and 5 others like this.
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

True, which is how I felt earlier on after all IPs were sold. But as time goes on and the albeit traumatic memory 701CCCDD-2F46-44F1-98AA-58855F22165E.jpeg of IPs fades even the dramatically less admin associated with multiple shares seemed too much:(. In a nutshell I’m just plain lazy and with age I want more fun associated with lifestyle whilst I can enjoy it and less admin and such annoying stuff:cool::).

AzzA_, DJC, mistercoffee and 5 others like this.
  5. RogTheBear

RogTheBear Well-Known Member

Apart from tax time, when the ATO pretty much gets it all correct - you do have to watch out for LIC capital gains as dividends, true - I don't find the admin all that much of a burden. And there's none at all in the super account.

And at this stage, as I have to withdraw from my super account now in pension mode, regular cash flow reduces the risk - I can eke it out as it comes through and either spend or reinvest outside of super.

If all I had were a couple of holdings in super and I was waiting, waiting, waiting, for their second dividend to appear so it could be withdrawn, then there's a very real risk that things could go awry and I might have to sell something down to meet the withdrawal requirements. Can't have that! Not at this stage, anyway. It'll happen eventually, no doubt.

Hence the VAS and WHF and QVE holdings which pay quarterly or on a different 6 monthly cycle to the norm.

AzzA_, pippen, DJC and 5 others like this.
  6. SatayKing

I'm grateful I no longer have to deal with seven portfolios. My current structure is a breeze in comparison.

The last time I actually had to do something was in October last year when Vanguard made distributions. I will now have to gird my loins for the arduous tasks awaiting me on the 12th and 18th of January. Not sure if my nerves will stand it so I may have to leave it until later in the month. Or, after the reporting season, do the lot in one hit.

marty998, AzzA_, DJC and 2 others like this.
  7. mistercoffee

mistercoffee Well-Known Member

On the first day of 2023, I had a crispy chicken burger for lunch and a chicken biryani for dinner. Not to mention a couple of good coffees during the day. It's surely an auspicious start to the year.
    And only 2 weeks before MIR reports and tells us about the dividend.

Andrew Allen, Observer, AzzA_ and 4 others like this.
  8. SatayKing

I raise you a ham and cheese toastie and leftovers.

9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

10. SatayKing

On a grey, overcast day, soon to head out for........

English Breakfast.jpg

and the obligatory... (2nd cup of the day too)

Large Coffee.jpg

AzzA_, Nodrog, DJC and 2 others like this.
  11. mistercoffee

It's grey and overcast here too. I've had a big gym session, and now I'm settling down to a home-brewed coffee (better than any barista coffee) and a freshly baked blueberry muffin from the local bakery. And I'm about to read a good book. Retirement is pretty good.

lixas4, Observer, AzzA_ and 4 others like this.
  12. SatayKing

*Burp.

Sorry. My apologies.

AzzA_ likes this.
  13. SatayKing

14. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

My oh my, the time at which you posted can only mean one thing, you were up all night in anticipation of this announcement!!

number 5 likes this.
  15. SatayKing

Your assumption is incorrect I'm afraid. Sound asleep by 10pm or thereabouts. By the way, look at the date on the announcement and today's date. If I were eagerly anticipating the announcement, I would have been scanning the ASX all day yesterday. I wasn't. Had other things to do.

Now some guesswork. Both AUI & DUI will also announce key dates and probably early next week.

Silverson likes this.
  16. mistercoffee

It's nice to have a deluge of dividends to look forward to. The AFIC LICs pay in February, and then ARG & AUI cough up in March.

By the way, Vittoria Mountain grown coffee is on special at Coles at the moment.

AzzA_, number 5 and Islay like this.
  17. SatayKing

18. RogTheBear

RogTheBear Well-Known Member

We're a Lavazza Oro family (I'm informed :() and waiting for that to be at 50% can take quite some time. Had to pull the trigger on only 40% off the other day to keep stocks up to the house RCL (Reasonable Coffee Level) - was mortified. Let's hope for good news on the dividends to make up the difference...:eek:

mistercoffee and pippen like this.
  19. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

I like to get your opinion if you don't mind. Again if I asked this in past then apologies.

I am thinking to start regular investment in ETF so monthly fixed amount through commsec pocket. i believe you have been investing on regular interval for long-time.

so my question is how do you pick time ? and do more frequent with small amount is better (weekly interval) or less frequent with big amount (monthly interval) as i believe there will be tax complication if we do weekly compare to monthly as more paper work to save and remember if we decide to sell in say few years time.

also, do you look at what market doing of it's fixed date or duration when you just invest doesn't matter what market is doing on that given day?

thanks,
    (my health not doing well, so i wanted to stay away from all type of trading except using etf which i believe my partner can easily withdraw or manage if required) yes in past tried and talked lot about trading options & stocks but time changes quickly sometime unfortunately.

20. mistercoffee

AUI is a good LIC with a great track record. I wonder why it's not more heavily traded, and why it consistently trades at significant discounts to nta. It's my third largest holding.

If I could go back in time and meet my 22 year old self, I would have a lot of advice for that little guy. One thing I would tell him is: invest any spare money into AFI, ARG and AUI (and maybe a little MIR), and stay away from investment properties. Don't worry about timing; nobody ever gets that consistently right in the long term.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.