Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars... 2021

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by dunno, 9th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 17th Jan, 2021
  2. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Never heard of it. But the seller sure spends a lot of time explaining what it is and how it will be worth so much more in the future.
    Normally anything that’s a super rare collector wouldn’t have 73,000km on it.

Player, keenas and dunno like this.
  3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Player, Car tart and dunno like this.
  4. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Rarity implies limited supply, but solid demand is still required to justify such a high price.

Lotus try to play the "rarity -> price" card way too often, every car is a (e.g.) 1/10 limited edition but there are dozens of limited editions. The demand is extremely low so the cars depreciate like normal.

Someguy, Empire, dunno and 1 other person like this.
  5. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Well the used car market in the affordable range ( under 10k) has gone nuts. Good cars are selling within hours and people are buying 15 year old used cars sight unseen including ones that have suspect reliability reputations.
    What they are doing is going on car sales and gumtree and saving email alerts. When the right car comes up they are depositing money online to hold the car and then picking up next day.
    Whatever happened to inspecting cars or going for a test drive.
    The volume of listings of used cars in two weeks on carsales has dropped by 8000 ( 130k to around 122). Some popular models you can’t even find and those that remain on the website are either cars with over 200k’s on the odometer or have visible blemishes like dents and mechanical defects.

6. Serveman

Interestingly the only cars that are not selling well include:

1. Some of the French cars, Citroen, Peugeot and Renault but this is changing as stocks of popular makes dry up,
    2. Hyundai Tiburon sports coupes are not being snapped up compared to say a 1994 Toyota Celica which is selling fast,
    3. Saab’s
    4. AU falcon forte
    5. Nissan Tiida
    6. Cars online from well known dodgy used car franchises
    7. Over priced classic cars. Asking 25k for a 1992 Nissan 300zx with 250k on the clock is not happening and nor should it.

7. Serveman

I wonder what is to happen to used Holden’s such as Commodores. Some models are going up in price including those many thought were ordinary cars such as a 1990 VN Commodore with high Kay’s and sagging roof linings.
    However with Holden now out of the Australian market and officials have said that they are only stocking parts for up to 8 years ( I assume for 8 year old cars rather than for 8 years), surely this must affect serviceability unless the after market crowd do their bit.
    The shift in the cars that are being made is dramatically changing. Ford with the exception of Mustang will only be making SUV’s.
    There are some brands that will not survive and new ones may rise. The other day I drove past an ex Holden car yard and in its place are MG and LDV Chinese imports.

8. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Mazda Rx7 00-02 model...future high value car

9. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

I had a passion for early to mid 70's RX3 and RX4 coupes when young. They consumed most(all) of my early income. Wish I had stored some instead of selling when I "grew up" Live and learn.

10. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I think the used car market is cooling, we've just listed two cars at the bottom price point compared to similar cars for their year/spec/kilometres and are barely getting any bites.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  11. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Could be the case that there is already a gap between market price and current listings. When I listed my Velar for sale last year, I priced it at $85k (as recommended by Redbook) which made it the cheapest for that model, regardless of mileage/options. No bites at all; a few months later I flogged it off to sellmycar/sellyourcar? for $70k just to be done with it.

Saw it for sale by a dealer in Victoria a few months later for $73k list price... I think I actually got fair market value for it at $70k!

datto and Tom Rivera like this.
  12. Serveman

I wish I bought a few Datsun 240z’s when they were going for 4K.

datto and Bradley Peet like this.
  13. Serveman

I think In that price point you will get quite a bit of dollar value price fluctuation either way.

14. Serveman

I read that the Andrews State Government is planning a “Cash for Clunkers”, program for old cars particularly for pensioners and young people living in the regions. No details yet, but interesting to see how much they are prepared to pay and whether there would be a take up. Apparently a scheme involving cheap loans will be part of the deal to update.

15. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Not sure now is the time to do this, currently high demand for used cars. To take cars out of the market would just push used prices higher, in turn pushing up new prices. The biggest winner will be MG for market share and other manufacturers profit margins

Serveman likes this.
  16. Drifty

Drifty Well-Known Member

Felt the need to share this with a group who will appreciate it. A recent acquisition of a friend of mine in Europe. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing..!

Aston Martin Zagato Shooting brake - only 99 made :eek:

Attached Files:

spoon, Dan Donoghue, craigc and 6 others like this.
  17. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Love the Shooting brake !

Drifty likes this.
  18. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Does this mean the Yaris GR has arrived??

19. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Stunningly beautiful car!!
    [​IMG]

Codie, Empire and Drifty like this.
  20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Is this car thread yet to make it to 2021? :D

The Y-man

chylld likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.