Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars... 2019

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Morgs, 1st Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

{Note from mods - this thread continues from here: Let's talk cars... 2018 [Cars & Motorbikes]}

Wow... that is more than my car was!

Reckon I've got a fair idea on what it is now :)

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Jul, 2020
  2. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

To
    Any clues on the mystery car. I would love to see a $153k discount on a car.

Lindsay_W and Tom Rivera like this.
  3. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Nice thoughts Tom, I tested a 230 manual Octavia RS and found interior was nice, badly needed a front LSD as you just spun up the front wheels as soon as you put the foot down our of roundabouts etc. (solved on the 245) but now manuals no longer available new from 2019 as per all VW product (GTI, R) with only the very ordinary DSG left.
    Couldn’t go there so went with the Focus RS Ltd Editiion, faster and more space but a lot more basic inside. Gets surprising amount of attention from punters. Great sound too.
    Good luck with the Megane!

4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Funny you mention the power down- I'd never driven a FWD with an LSD before the RS245, and didn't even realise it had an LSD at the time. It only occurred to me later that the 'slingshot' effect out of corners I wasn't used to was the magic of a slippy diff.

I definitely notice when a bright blue Focus RS goes past! Seems a bit of a level up from the Octavia though? Did you consider other options like the Golf R, WRX STI, Meg RS, 308GTI270, Civic Type R, i30N, etc?

5. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

I did fair bit of research and wasn’t too keen on just FWD, but tested the Octavia as it was easy to get access to. Checked out Golf R manual but was a bit too small for boot space which i needed for cricket bags and occasional pram. STI was a bit tired & wasn’t too keen on the Frenchies.
    Checked out the Civic R based on motor reviews but couldn’t bring myself to live with the looks.
    I30N seems to have very good reports but was a slight level down based on $ available for company car.
    Also tested the Kia Stinger GT twin turbo and very impressed but not as much grin & fun factor.
    Test drove the Focus RS Ltd edtn and came back grinning like a loon and with the fun factor thought I have to have one of these.
    As I said more basic interior than golf R but more crazy fun and quicker with a bit more space which i needed. A manual Golf R wagon if they were available would have gone very close.

Enjoy your wheels!

Tom Rivera likes this.
  6. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

hot hatch now focus rs is def the pick.. unless u can live with the civic looks..for that money another thing i would consider is a commie.. a v8 not the opel crap.. not the same size but same "money".

craigc and Tom Rivera like this.
  7. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

I've got my R booked in for a Sachs organic clutch and APR Stage 1 upgrade in two weeks time. Should unleash the beast a bit more!

Tom Rivera and chylld like this.
  8. Spets

Spets Well-Known Member

Is it ever financially sensible to lease a car, or is it better to buy a cheaper car with cash?

9. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Of course - but you'd need to do the numbers in both scenarios. In most instances buying the cheapest car possible with cash would work out to be the cheapest option but it depends on a heap of variables. Financing can work if you have use for the capital elsewhere.

There, Spets and The Y-man like this.
  10. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I've been wondering about this. Several smart & wealthy people I know choose to finance/lease cars they could easily have bought with cash. (Accordingly, a car you can't afford to pay cash for is frankly out of your budget, finance or not)

It seems to basically boil down to whether you have an impending investment opportunity that requires x capital and y serviceability. The biggest advantage of car finance to myself in particular is having a few extra $100k ready to take advantage of what looks to be a year of opportunities in equity markets.

Ross Forrester and Spets like this.
  11. Spets

Spets Well-Known Member

I've been brought up on the idea if you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it, but leasing something affordable and keeping cash for potential bargains this year does make a lot of sense. Time to fire up the calculator and play with numbers.

The Prestige, chylld and Tom Rivera like this.
  12. KinG3o0o

with depreciating assets.. i only see it one way.
    always pay cash.

not sure how many people can actually beat the interest you pay on a car, (unless ur on toyota style 0% int) then why pay cash ?

tax deductable via work or not .

chylld likes this.
  13. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Which I just did... this morning :D

Ended up passing on the dream car opportunity and getting a fettled Lotus instead. Here it is stock, Simply Sports Cars are working on it now adding a larger supercharger, intercooler and rear wing.
    fr1r8ds4ywetshs67v4i5v5y9.jpg
    Shakedown booked in at SMSP 23rd January :p

The Y-man, Simon L, tommo c and 7 others like this.
  14. KinG3o0o

very nice.. im 6ft and 105kg... u think i'll fit.. ? i tried elise.. no way

exige have the same chasis just different engine and setup?

15. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I think you'll fit, they're quite roomy once you're in, but the trick is getting in in the first place. Fitting with a helmet might be tricky though. I'm 5'9" and have 4" headroom maybe more. My car has a custom carbon fibre hardtop which might be helping though.

ss (2019-01-10 at 01.02.35).jpg

The tub is the same I think, but the subframes, engine and suspension would all be different.

ss (2019-01-10 at 03.55.35).jpg

16. KinG3o0o

damn.. those open gear shift..

naise.

17. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

I pay cash for cars. Be wary of these 0% loans.

datto likes this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

They make up for it in the higher price you pay for the car. A few years back I was going to buy a new car with a low interest rate.

Sales manager would not budge on price. I was in his office trying to negotiate and when he realised I wasn't interested he started swearing like a trooper at me lol.

I then left his office, jumped in my VN and smoked the tyres next to his office window lol.

The only way I could knock the price down was with cash or an ordinary interest rate loan.

Eric Wu, Phantom, Lindsay_W and 3 others like this.
  19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There's no way that people from the Druitt have money to pay for a car with cash. At least, not legally.

The Y-man, datto and Tom Rivera like this.
  20. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Yep - I’m just over 6 foot and fit in the Europa S, slightly larger entry (by mm) than Elise & earlier model Exige.
    I saw young salesman well over 6 foot slide into an Elise with roof in place in a suit! I was very surprised so it’s all about getting the hang of it.
    Nice colour Chylld - you’ll find it drives very different to the Evora. Enjoy!

chylld likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia