Cars & Motorbikes Let's talk cars... 2018

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by larrylarry, 3rd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

{Note from mods - this thread continues from here: Let's talk cars... [Cars & Motorbikes]}

Hi, I am looking for a 4WD or AWD for a family of 4 that likes to go camping once in a while and taking road trips, snow fields etc. Would you buy brand new or second hand? If second hand, do you have someone to inspect the vehicle for you? If so, any recommendation? Happy to pay.

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Jul, 2020
  2. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

What sort of price range?

3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Pajero sport is good value. I just got a exceed 2017 model with 9000ks for $44k. 4wd diesels hold their value so well that a 2year old model will often cost the same as a 5 year old model. Or unreasonably close to it.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  4. larrylarry

I don’t have a budget in mind but don’t want to spend too much, say less than $40k?

5. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

At a $40k budget I'd go for a trusty Forester or Outback. Practically designed specifically for your description

I would probably go for a near new (no demo), from a dealer, preferably with a 3 year service pack included if you don't mind going slightly second hand

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@larrylarry
    Forester XT Premium can be had for around $46k brand new. (I picked mine up for $46,500 with Rubber floor mats and weathershields - all genuine).
    Powered by a detuned FA20 Turbo... same one as the WRX and Levorg.

Boot space isn't great though.

Last edited: 3rd Jan, 2018
    Phantom and Simon L like this.
  7. Simon L

Get some roof racks and a roof box. Makes all the difference especially carrying skis/snowboards or dirty camping gear :)

8. larrylarry

Subby fans! I have an exiga 6 seater so I’m a fan of Subaru but thought of getting something else to replace my Toyota sedan. Forrester and outback are more rugged.

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Don't forget the Tribeca if you want more boot space, high ride and bigger tyres etc

larrylarry likes this.
  10. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

AMG GLE 43 (coupe version)
    [​IMG]

11. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I agree with Ken and Simon. I just recently sold my Subaru Liberty after about 8 years. Was probably the best car I ever had. Solid Japanese quality as reasonable cost & reliability.

The Forrester 2.0XT would be my pick for around your budget. Very well kitted. See below for the specs.

Subaru Forester 2.0XT 2017 Price & Specs | Carsguide

12. larrylarry

Thanks George, Ken and Simon.
    We will go shopping tomorrow I guess.
    Yes we concluded that it's either Toyota or Subby and we like our Subby (Exiga wagon) very much. So much boot space for cricket kit bags. Our subby is 8 years old and sitill runs very well. Our Toyota Corolla Ascent is 15 years old (bought brand new) and hardly any major problems but it's close to 250K mileage.
    Forrester looks good.

Phantom likes this.
  13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Having owned a MY13 Forester (non turbo) and a MY17 Forester XT (turbo), the XT wins hands down.

The Non Turbo Forester (2.5iS - Highest Spec) is around $42k
    The turbo forester (XT Premium - highest spec) is around $46k (after negotiating).

Petrol consumption though, isn't great on the XT for ultra short trips, I drive to and from my place and my in laws (5km / 8-10 mins) a few days a week. My drives are around the 18L/100km mark. In the non turbo, it was around 11.5L/100km.

However when i've driven on the motorway (very short distance - around 5k spent on the motorway), the XT consumption drops to around 11L/100km. The Non turbo was around 9.5L/100km.

https://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/details/Subaru-Forester-2017/OAG-AD-15459353/?Cr=6

I went around and got a few prices, then gave it to the car broker to beat it for me :)
    PM me if you want the details.

14. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

From memory you required a toyota to pull you out?

DaveM likes this.
  15. Simon L

How much did a car broker cost? I was referred to one ages ago who couldn't beat the deal I negotiated....not sure if they are worth it if you can deal with the pain of car salesmen yourself

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Subby??? :confused:

The Y-man

17. larrylarry

when i bought my exiga, i got there at 5.15pm and only signed the papers at 7.00ishpm when only the manager and the sales guy were left. They were anxious to get home. a bit like a test match.

my friend had a broker who got him 5-6k cheaper.

18. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Im not the one who left their shovel behind mate :p

19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

$0. They get paid from the car dealer i think.
    If i simply used the car broker without going out and doing research myself, the price would have been much higher.

However because I had done some negotiation and obtained some prices prior, I gave him a price of $47,000 to beat to see if he could beat it.

He beat it by $500 (so $46,500). But realistically, if i tried, I probably could have got $46,000, but that would have cost me my entire weekend - around 2-3 hours playing a long game of poker with the car salesperson.

With 2 kids in tow, no way that would have been achievable. Leaving them at home with my wife would have resulted in me getting my beaten up by my wife.... :p

Simon L and Westminster like this.
  20. larrylarry

but a saving of $1000 if you have a long drawn out negotiation. :) I went to subaru and test drove outback (forrester boot height not in favour with wife) and i think it drives like any other subaru... levorg is pretty powerful but it's a wagon with a posrty look, a bit weird. i might try Skoda octavia...

Phantom likes this.