Kitchen build - Dan Kitchens Australia

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by chylld, 13th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

123k wow do not try this at homes kids. Thanks for coming chylld you are a best customer ever

2. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

As said above, we opted for tactility and practicality over visual cleanliness.

Joynz likes this.
  3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

For DKA, nowhere close actually. They've done kitchens were the stone for the island alone costs as much as my whole kitchen :eek:

4. lightbulbmoment

5. lightbulbmoment

Main thing is your happy

Stoffo and chylld like this.
  6. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

No doubt; you and your mates could probably build a kitchen 85% as good for 15% of the cost and in a fraction of the time. From signing on the dotted line it took 8 months until they were ready to start, and then another 3 months until the last major item (splashbacks) went in.

7. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Thanks for providing prices as it's good to see how much pain you need to go through in order to get to the goal!

8. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

I'd like to hear justification for the 74.4k worth of joinery/installation..

Sorry to say mate, but they definitely ""seen you coming""

9. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I'd like to hear justification too!

As I said, I paid an indefensible amount :oops: I went way past the point of diminishing returns and wouldn't recommend anyone else do the same.

Still trying to pinpoint what my mentality was in the months leading up to the decision to spend over half of the year's investment profits on just the kitchen :confused:

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It’s not uncommon to keep adding ‘just one more thing’ - coupled with ‘we’re building for the long term so we’ll push the boat out a bit more’ when it comes to your own home!

Especially with a new family.

Just live in it and enjoy it.

chylld likes this.
  11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@chylld why neff? I'm going to be starting my kitchen reno in 2 weeks or so, and I've always stuck to cheap stuff like Westinghouse. But since this is going to be my ppr, I'd like to put some "quality" items in there.

I know neff is expensive, but how does it compare to ilve, Miele, Bosch, etc?

12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

We have countertops that look identical and a word of warning: They stain! Quite easily too, whether it's a pot with a bit of rust on it or a strongly coloured fruit or vegetable left on it. Be very careful!

Surely you forgot the decimal point!
    And you even did some of the work yourself.

Each to their own and I'm glad you're happy with it, but I can't believe it cost that much. Also $75k for MDF cabinets?

13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'll stick my 2 cents in. If the Neff price tag scares you then check out Siemens. It's made by the same people (along with Bosch) but not as pricey. It goes Bosch then Siemens then Neff in terms of price/quality

The plus side of not going Miele is that they don't have a fixed pricing structure like Asko/Miele do here. Discounts and negotiations are at your disposal.

Kryys likes this.
  14. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

For the oven:
    • slide & hide door - having the door (with its hot inner panel) totally out of the way while moving food in/out just protrudes far less into the walk space, especially with multiple people working in the kitchen. also feels really satisfying as it's one fluid motion
    • full steam - we no longer use the stove or our little multicooker to steam dumplings or vegetables... we can simply load up a whole tray which is more than enough for our 2+1 family
    • built-in programs - simple ones like drumsticks (pictured) but also combination steam/bake programs for e.g. fish
      ss (2018-07-17 at 10.01.39).jpg
    • as Westminster mentioned above, bosch/siemens/neff come from the same factory so I wasn't worried about reliability
    For the cooktop:
    • flex zone - basically you just put a pan/pot anywhere, even a huge one overlapping part of the centre of the cooktop
    • bit of a gimmick, but you can use a function to change the heat level by simply moving the pan closer (hotter) or further (colder) on either side
    • easy to clean but still get some tactile control with the wheel (which uses a magnet to stay in place)
    My last oven/cooktop were both Ariston, and it was okay but not great. Neff is expensive sourced locally but would highly recommend importappliances.

Thanks for the warning, I'm thinking of getting some protection film for the drinks area as I get a few tea/coffee splatters. Managed to keep it clean for now :)

See above for my comments on price. I do remember now that when we began the project the delivery of our bub was imminent and we didn't want any hassle/complications or worse, unplanned kitchen downtime. Project was run like clockwork and completely without drama. Value for money? Of course not. But when projects are funded from investment profits rather than salary, the boat does get pushed out a bit further than it should :p

15. spludgey

I agree, I didn't mean to sour your grapes either. If you're happy with it, then it's a success, irrespective of costs. :)

16. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

It's a huge success but you said nothing wrong; I soured my own grapes (so to speak) and it's been humbling to admit that the exuberance was 100% my own doing.

My man maths has never been stronger.

Sackie and Westminster like this.
  17. spludgey

If the Reventon(?) is actually yours, it might not be exuberant to you! ;)

18. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Lotus Evora 400... quite a bit cheaper than a Reventon :D
    ss (2018-07-17 at 11.33.57).jpg

19. spludgey

Back to car school for me!

Still, a kitchen that's cheaper than your car makes it sound much more palatable.
    Glad that that's not the case for me, actually. I'd hate to have a $2,000 kitchen. :D

Jess Peletier and chylld like this.
  20. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Surprisingly we didn't completely hate the $36 kitchen we had to use for a month, even while wrestling with an 8 month old. Just had to remember to keep the mixer flicked over to cold, otherwise water would splash out onto the floor...

ss (2018-07-17 at 11.44.14).jpg
    ss (2018-07-17 at 11.43.51).jpg

Starbright and spludgey like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.