Kitchen build - Dan Kitchens Australia

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by chylld, 13th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Day 39

Visited the decoglaze showroom to order our custom splashback samples, meanwhile DKA dropped off 2 bags of standard colour samples just in case. The metallics are beeeeeautiful

IMG_20180426_073117b.jpg

We are going to miss our raw plasterboard/patch wall... but in a week or so we should have our custom-made samples and then another 2 weeks for the final splashbacks to be made.

Also decided to take an adventure behind the fridge to check out the water pump installation:
    IMG_20180425_111158b.jpg

Turn right, can't see anything except for a light switch covered in cobwebs, and a light bulb that doesn't work... a lot of potential storage space back here, too much humidity to use as a cellar though.
    IMG_20180425_111515b.jpg

Turn left, et voila! The water pump for the main sink:
    IMG_20180425_111450b.jpg

The drain water from the main sink goes through the wall and into the pump, which pumps it back up and into the vent pipe at the far wall which runs up from the bathroom plumbing behind.

Received almost all the bills now, a few shocks here and there (sparky charged $110 for $6.33 power points, although that does include wiring and installation) but this is basically how the costs look when broken down:
    30784867_10156232427194330_1901844928_n.png

DoubleD and Kassy like this.
  2. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

I really enjoy seeing threads like this one. Great photos, and progress!

chylld likes this.
  3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

It's finished!!!

Well actually it was finished a while ago; we had a fully functional kitchen mid April, however the custom splashback only arrived early June, and the finishing touch (changing the task lights from cool white to warm white) last week.

IMG_20180709_162305.jpg

IMG_20180709_162353.jpg

IMG_20180709_162329.jpg

We absolutely love the space; not only does it look good, but it's super functional as well. We've hosted 2 big parties with it (had to feed 34 mouths at the last one) and the layout makes it easy for multiple people to help with any task, without getting in anyone else's way.

Surprisingly few oversights, however there were a few:
    • utensils drawer could be deeper, we forgot to account for the cooktop eating into the space
    • cupboards above the sink are a bit low, sometimes it feels slightly cramped when washing up
    • could have picked a stronger rangehood, or lowered part of the bulkhead to allow for larger diameter ducting
    Overall though we are well chuffed with the kitchen and it was nice to work with a company who was happy and able to incorporate design elements we found on pinterest/houzz. The overwhelming favourite feature is definitely the clear island - it enhances the usability of every single other part of the kitchen and makes cooking prep feel like a fun group activity rather than a chore.

Coming a close second would be the Neff B48 oven. At just over $3k (imported) it was a bit pricey, but the functionality is amazing and we are rediscovering dishes that benefit from having strong and accurate heating, as well as a very effective full steam mode.

IMG_20180709_162420.jpg

IMG_20180709_162454.jpg

IMG_20180709_162517.jpg

The Y-man, wylie, Sackie and 2 others like this.
  4. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Congratulations on settling into the new kitchen! Looks great :D

chylld likes this.
  5. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Well done looks good..

I can't help but feel if you had of went handless cupboards/drawers it would look less busy

chylld likes this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I love the horizontal lines of the handles.

And ‘handleless’ generally means crumb-catching recesses (shudder!)

chylld and GoalBF like this.
  7. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

We definitely prefer the look of handleless drawers, but we went with handles in the end for ease of use. We did keep the handles to the lower half of the kitchen though, all upper cabinets are either push to open (drinks bar side of the island, and above the oven) or simple pull open (above the sink).

The bin drawer (in the sink corner) has a handle but is also motorised... a gentle pull or push (e.g. with your knee) and it slides out automatically.

8. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

I looked at getting the push to open cupboards but couldn't bring myself to get them, i just felt with kids they would constantly get opened!

Didn't even think to get them on the top cupboards, are you happy with them?

I also have the blanco sink you have and absolutely love it!

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

That mat under the babyseat. Where did you get it? What is it called?
    I need one of those!!! :eek:

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@chylld looks fantastic mate. Love the inbuilt corner shelf in the island.

chylld likes this.
  11. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Push to open I'm not thrilled or annoyed about... they work well but require 2 motions to open (push to ajar, pull to open). Above the sink we had soft-close hinges and bevelled bottom door edges, and this is much much nicer to use on a high frequency basis.

IMG_20180711_211200.jpg

The sink (Blanco NAYA8SK5) is awesome, the main tub is big enough to swallow our oven trays etc so soaking/scrubbing/rinsing large items is a piece of cake. The matching Blanco mixer tap is a good visual pairing and feels solid, but I prefer my KWC mixer tap and its higher water velocity and more responsive flow control.

It's the "Messy Mat", $6 from Kmart :)
    https://www.kmart.com.au/product/messy-mat/1024818

Thanks, it's a design feature we found on Houzz and one of the first focal points at the entry of the kitchen. However as @Jess Peletier warned me, nothing there is safe from the curious hands of a toddler...

Jess Peletier likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Gulp...

qak likes this.
  13. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We've got a few push to open, particularly for our pantry, I don't like it. The top cupboards are fine as you can pull or push them open. We don't have handles in our kitchen so it was a good aesthetic but it just leaves fingerprints an it gets accidentally leaned on all the time, which makes it open. A kitchen full of push to open on hte bottom would drive me nuts.

14. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Our current rental has a small kitchen with all push to open, they are crap and now its 5yrs old some don't work well and they are a pain. Handles work better with our kids as well.

In our new kitchen (Being Built Now) we only have handles except on the cupboards under the large island, they are opened by pulling on the bottom edge of the door, figured your crouched down and kept a clean line.

15. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Importing some key appliances definitely helped keep the cost down.

Neff B48 combi-steam oven
    Winning Appliances: $5,999
    Import Appliances: $3,327.64 (inc. GST duty etc) = 45% saving

Neff T66 induction cooktop
    Winning Appliances: $2,899
    Import Appliances: $1,976.03 = 32% saving

All other appliances were sourced locally in the months leading up to the build, using eBay discount codes as they became available. Total for appliances was $12.5k.

The largest cost was for the cabinets/joinery and installation, at a whopping $74.4k.

Demolition & removal of the old kitchen, construction of the new bulkheads and 2 nib walls, rangehood motor/ducting installation, floorboard patching, skirting etc cost $13.9k.

Caesarstone "white shimmer" countertops and island return, $7.5k
    DecoGlaze custom colour splashback, $6.1k
    Plumbing double expected due to the need for a water pump; $3.8k
    Electrical work including some other stuff we needed done around the house: $3.3k
    Floor refinishing due to the exposed floorboards under the old kitchen needing work: $1.4k
    Miscellaneous items from Bunnings inc painting supplies (I painted the bulkheads & nib walls myself): $106

Total: $123k :p

I estimate it adds $50k, maybe $80k at most to the value of the house in a seller's market; the old kitchen was by far the weak point of the house and we have fixed that, and then some :)

The lifestyle improvement however is immeasurable, it has streamlined all of our cooking activities and allowed my wife to have fun preparing all of bub's meals from scratch - something that was a cramped chore in the old kitchen (coincidentally he turns 1 today.)

Joynz, jins13 and Sackie like this.
  16. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Now for some before & after photos:

180311b.jpg IMG_20180709_162305b.jpg

image10b.jpg IMG_20180709_162353b.jpg

IMG_20170424b.jpg IMG_20180709_162329b.jpg

neK, Sackie and The Y-man like this.
  17. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

And finally it wouldn't be appropriate to make a kitchen thread without some food pics! In my photos above you can see the sous vide action happening next to the sink. Beef brisket smoked for 3 hours over mesquite wood chunks and mangrove lump charcoal, followed by 48 hours sous vide @ 60C, and half of it subjected to the blowtorch for that finishing touch :)

IMG_20180711_190508b.jpg IMG_20180711_191233b.jpg
    IMG_20180711_190955b.jpg

18. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

$123k, holy bleeping bleep. If it adds value to your life that is all that matters, enjoy.

19. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

It's an indefensible amount, even considering the fact that we were unhappy with the quality found at all price points down to Nobby's and Bunnings/IKEA DIY.

I was definitely going through an exuberant phase, partly due to the balance sheet looking all rosy with all my loans set to IO. P&I reality kicked in after we had committed to the kitchen (my own choice to bring it forward) and while there's no regret, I'm consciously aware that the splurge is 99% a lifestyle decision :D

Pier1 likes this.
  20. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Why didnt you do shark nose handles. Thoses handles are too bulky and busy.