QLD Kallangur 2019

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by JAW, 3rd Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Jan, 2019
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Some terrible advice on ...here....Kallangur is well and truly had its run for the moment....unless there is significant growth..in Brisbane...there are other areas which will do better.

Why would anyone buy for 420k in Kallangur when they can buy in a much better area with much potential like Redcliffe. Also stay away from Petrie...too late....too many IP investors all getting in due to the university...very similar to the conga line of people still buying in Logan when it does not make sense.

3. Ronald86

Ronald86 Well-Known Member

With your second point on Petrie, do you think there would be enough demand for rentals from students in say 2020+ to meet the supply of properties available to rent? I know it's a very crystal ball question really...

4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Thought pretty hard question to answer. Their initial plan is like 1500 students for 2021. They may achieve this. So atleast half of them may come from their house. Around 500-700 students require accommodation. Considering amount of new accommodation this number may or may not be substantial. By 2030 they aim for 10000 students. By that time demand would be so high. Kallangur near Petrie uni would be a long term play.

Ronald86 likes this.
  5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Ha ha... They listed greater Brisbane suburb?? How come coorparoo? Thought just 2 kms- inner ring?

Agreed, higher volume ms are sign of potential demand due to various reasons. Before gain takes place the volume goes up.

Paula Ospina likes this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

No.
    Have you noticed how many townhouse complexes there are within a ten minute drive of the uni site.

Ronald86 likes this.
  7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

There is plenty of options around the uni....places like Strathpine, Kippa RIng, Mango Hill etc have huge amounts of medium density housing..

Ronald86 likes this.
  8. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

I would argue that the appeal for investing in Petrie/South Kallangur/West Lawnton not simply for Uni student rentals per se, but rather, the all inclusive lifestyle that comes with the Mill Site development, see: https://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/u...-mill-pda/the-mill-pda-development-scheme.pdf

This area is being strategically designed to become the beating heart of Moreton Bay over the next 10 years. An opportunity to have Northlakes CBD, multiple train stations, a full university campus with mixed retail/commerce, ocean access at Griffin, and motorway access, all within a 5-10 minute radius is a very unique opportunity.

Su Sandy likes this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Ocean access at Griffin. How far away is the ocean - have you been reading the sales brochures again?

TAJ likes this.
  10. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Sales brochures?

If you need further clarification, I'm referring to this:
    Dohles Rocks | Griffin | Visit Moreton Bay Region

My friends and family use it to launch our boats on weekends.

Su Sandy likes this.
  11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

So do we.
    I'm being pedantic, the ocean is on the other side of Moreton Island and the water you are referring to is Moreton Bay.

Can I remind you that I have lived here for 40 years and seriously considered buying a block of land on the waterfront at Dohles Rocks instead of the one we currently live at. Sandflies vs venomous snakes, we chose Eatons Hill.

broc119 and JAW like this.
  12. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

For those that need to tow small to mid sized boats, going straight down Dohles (with no turns on the trip), and using the ramps at Griffin to head out to Moreton Bay, is an absolute gem. I never take it for granted.

Angel likes this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Hi @JAW, are you the guy who has recently moved up here from Sydney?
    Please tell all those pesky Cockroaches that we DO have real beaches here. Have you read their comments after they visited Redcliffe a few years back? There's hundreds of older "Kallangur" and "Moreton Bay" posts on PC where they try to make out that our beaches are awful.

Paula Ospina likes this.
  14. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Sorry Angel, not me. I've been in QLD all my life. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Australia. North Brisbane and Moreton Bay tick all my boxes for lifestyle and investing.

Paula Ospina and Angel like this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Between the both of you @JAW and @Angel you have just let the secret out about Moreton Bay ...this is exactly what I saw from a lifestyle perspective. The water based lifestyle and one of the few swimming beaches in Brisbane ...

JAW likes this.
  17. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

isn't this article pretty pointless as its just listing suburbs with large populations?

If buying in mbrc Arana Hills and Ferny hills offer the best opportunity in my opinion.

nuzullandchicky and Craig H like this.
  18. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

It comes down to a host of different factors. Your budget, supply and demand in the area and the market time/state, established and proposed major infrastructure, current CG yield, whether you're an OO,looking for an immediate rental, or want to renovate and flip in 6-12 months time etc.

If it comes down to buying 1 investment property for $750 in Brisbane or Moreton Bay, or 2 in key parts of Moreton Bay for $375k each, I'd always go with the latter.

But, that's just me. Horses for courses, of course.

19. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

I agree with those two areas. Right on the border of the Brisbane City council with direct rail access and development at FH station over next 12 months. Not bad considering MBRC allow granny flats whilst suburbs 2km away dont!

JAW likes this.
  20. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Can you rent out that granny flat separately?