Just starting out...

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Herluf, 29th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Herluf

Herluf Active Member

Hey everyone,

Newbie to this site and property investing. Can anyone suggest any great books to read to get me going? Thinking I need to know....do I need a trust? Is negative gear good for me? etc...

The Y-man likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

3. The Y-man

I think there's just too much "mystique" around resi property investing.

The basics are simple.
    1. buy house
    2. rent it out

You make money from either or both of:
    1. the rental income (less holding costs such as interest, maintenance, rates, tax)
    2. the value of the property going up

Sometimes (ok a lot of times) the costs of holding are higher than than the rent.
    In those cases we use the BH&P strategy ("buy hold and pray") that the value of the property goes up more than the losses from holding it.
    eg if it costs you $20,000 per year to hold the property, you would want the property to grow at least by that much in a year to "break even".

Once you figure that out, you can start thinking about tax implications, benefits, etc.
    Trusts sound sexy but you may find they are a waste of money (they cost) unless you are self employed, or need to protect your assets from bad people in your life.

The Y-man

Nattl3s and kierank like this.
  4. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Im not much of a book person - so my recommendation would be to start off understanding how much you can borrow or what you need to do do borrow a certain amount. This will dictate your budget and obviously what areas you can purchase. This seems simple but will lead to clarifying a lot of things. E.g you may be a specific type of professional which will allow you to borrow 90% no LMI and thus only need to use a smaller amount of deposit. You may have restrictions which will require you to wait a certain period of time.

Then speak to an Accountant about different entities you can purchase and the tax implications and also with your banker or broker about the Accountant's recommendations and the impact of those recommendations for finance purposes.

Spend some time on the forums and try and filter through the facts (rather than opinions).

My other recommendation would be to get to know other investors - learn from their mistakes and their wins.

I think books are good but personally I find that this approach will get you to understand the playing field much quicker.

Finally ask questions. There are heaps of people on the forum providing valuable nuggets of information.

kierank likes this.
  5. Herluf

Herluf Active Member

Thanks The Y-Man....yip total novice, all help is greatly appreciated!

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Unless you have a high chance of getting sued, I'd suggest think twice before using a trust. It makes lending way more complex, it cost you every year to hold, and kills servicing capacity.

Much simpler for most people to just buy in own names.

7. Herluf

Herluf Active Member

So having each property in a separate trust to avoid land tax is not something I need to think about? Did not want to buy under my name then get told, you got the first step wrong. Also my income is fairly high and pay way too much tax, so was thinking negative gearing to offset it would be important from the start.

8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

You can't negative gear inside a family trust, so if that's a priority best to not. Land tax can become an issue, but buying in different states can help as can buying in trusts down the track if necessary.

You can neg gear with a unit trust but it's a pain when it comes to lenders - many (most) don't like the structure any more so personally I'd avoid this as you can trip yourself up when limited by lender selection.

9. Herluf

Herluf Active Member

Thanks Jess, seems I have a lot to learn.....but looking forward to it.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  10. The Y-man

Resi prop *can* be very tax effective if aimed primarily at capital growth (value up) rather than making money from the rent (and leading to what many pundits call "negative gearing").

However, there is a big debate going on at the moment as to what might change as a result of the coming elections etc.

The Y-man

Herluf likes this.
  11. The Y-man

Yes - as in it could be higher that holding it in your personal name(s)!

Land tax and trusts | State Revenue Office

The Y-man

Herluf likes this.
  12. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

It really comes down to personal circumstance.
    The best is to talk to your 'team'. Lawyer, accountant, mortgage broker, etc.
    Helps to have an idea of where you are heading career wise.

A lot of educational courses will spout the benefits of a trust, however the advice is a little biased. It is targeted at the masses / covering their own butts, and that's how they make an income / take a cut of the 'sale'.

Reality is, for the typical person, a trust is completely unnecessary at the start, and is likely a hindrance to building a portfolio.

Eg.
    At the start the tax deductions, savings in land-tax (all my property is in NSW), gave me the ability to buy multiple properties in quick succession.

I may not have been able to do that if I had to fork out all the extra cash back when $1k was a lot of money.

Now fast forward 7 years where $1k is relatively negligible, I have maxed out my land-tax threshold, and I have a business which could lead to a civil law-suit. All my future purchases will be under trusts.

"Damn, I wish I had purchased all my old properties under trusts".
    Sure, but I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't been able to purchase those extra couple of properties at the start by taking advantage of the tax breaks.

It's not a straight forward answer without knowing all the facts.

Keep it simple.
    Surround yourself with a strong team.

Last edited: 29th Apr, 2019
    Herluf and kierank like this.