My List of Property Books - Great For Those Starting Out!

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by C-mac, 6th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

As they say on RuPaul's Drag Race, 'Reading is Fundamental'! :D

I was doing a cleanup and have just listed a bunch of my property investment books I've bought over the years on Gumtree.

Doing this also prompted me: I should share a list of these books I've read as each of them have helped me tremendously; especially when starting out.

So, here in no particular order are some titles I'd highly recommend reading up on when it comes to property investment education (especially if you are just starting out!).

Rich Dad, Poor Dad (by Robert T. Kiyosaki)
    Smarter Property Investment, 3rd Edition (by Peter Cerexhe)
    The New Way to Make Money In Property, Fast (by Stuart Zadel)
    More Wealth From Residential Property (by Jan Somers)
    The Complete Guide to Property Investing in Australia (by Lucas Rogers)
    The Effortless Empire (by Chris Grey)
    My Four Year Old the Property Investor (by Cam McLellan)
    Investing in Residential Property, 6th Edition (by Peter Waxman)
    Top Australian Suburbs (by Peter Koulizos)
    No Nonsense Guide to Buying & Selling Property (by Andrew Winters)
    Value Investing In Property (by Gavin McPherson)
    Masterclass For Entrepreneurs (by Prof. Tom McKaskill)

These certainly helped me along the way on my own journey! :)

2. Sticks

Sticks Member

Thanks, couple on there I had not heard of before.

3. SShres

SShres Member

Thanks... this will be a great starting point for newbies like me :)

4. Curoch

Curoch Active Member

Thanks, I'm currently looking for my next book and ideally I'd like a more modern one that takes the recent property legislation changes in Australia into account. Have any of these been refreshed for the current landscape?

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Which legislation changes are you referring to?

The fundamentals still apply - then you come to PropertyChat to get updated information or to check whether strategies still work.

6. Curoch

Curoch Active Member

I use the term loosely - for example, the 2017 changes around depreciation:

How Changes to Depreciation Legislation Impacts Investors | BMT Insider

A lot of the books I've read don't take that into account and so their positive cash flow calculations are overly generous, and not comparable to today (or you can buy something new, but you'll be forking out a lot more capital for it!)

Redwing likes this.
  7. Pleep

Pleep Well-Known Member

Nice profile pic @C-mac

Redwing likes this.
  8. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Right back at you

Pleep likes this.
  9. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

I would add 2 more books to this list:
    * From 0 to 130 properties in 3.5 years (Steve McKnight)
    * 20 must ask questions for every property investor (Margaret Lomas)

BunnyXiao and Cousinit like this.
  10. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Ah - and whilst this thread is getting some eyeballs again, I have one other gem for everyone to share.

And, I've even attached a PDF of this book to this very reply. The PDF is a legal file and I am not breaking copyright law to post it. Why? In fact... this most excellent book is almost 100 years old, and is now able to be shared freely thanks to it being in the public domain now.

The book, The Richest Man in Babylon, is very short, more of a fable really; written a hundred years ago but set thousands of years ago in ancient Babylonia.

It is a must read and is foundational philosphy behind wealth creation. I wish I read this first to understand the principles of investment and assets. Many of those in 2020 into the FIRE movement (Financial Independence, Retire Early) consider this book gospel, to understanding early on, how to achieve an early retirement.

Enjoy

{Note from mods - attachment deleted}

Last edited by a moderator: 25th Jun, 2020
    SignMo and charttv like this.
  11. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Thanks C-man!
    I will check this out. Sounds like a classic old style book.

C-mac likes this.
  12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

After doing some quick research, I am pretty sure The Richest Man in Babylon is still under copyright in Australia.

Australian copyright law states that a work is protected for the life of the author plus 70 years. George Clason died in 1957, which makes the book still subject to copyright here in Australia until 2027.

Either way, the copy you uploaded is full of advertising for some website and I'm not prepared to host it on PropertyChat, sorry.

I highly recommend the book though and urge people to just go and buy it - I know Kobo books have it in ebook format for as little as $0.99 and it's only a few dollars in Kindle format.

ZacM, Terry_w and Jess Peletier like this.
  13. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Hi Simon - oh shoot thanks for that and thanks for removing the file attachment.

As Simon says, if you can get a hold of a copy of the book it is a fantastic read!

14. Joeisagun

Joeisagun Well-Known Member

Michael Yardney million dollar portfolios book is very good ignoring the sales pitches

15. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Also, I'm going to throw in to this Robert Kiyosaki. Whilst the books are not property-specific by any means (though Robert and Kim have amassed much of their wealth via real estate as one of their preferred asset classes), they are mindset books for investment and are very very good.

His most famous (and quickest read) is Rich Dad, Poor Dad. This one is so powerful in the concepts and parables it lays out, and is over 25 years old and the concepts STILL stand the test of time.

Where his books get really interesting though, are (and you need to read Rich Dad, Poor Dad before you tackle any of these...):

-The Cashflow Quadrant
    -Why the Rich Are Getting Richer (my second favorite)
    -Who Took My Money?
    -FAKE (Newest and my new favourite)
    -Second Chance (very good! Proves it is never too late to start a journey to financial freedom)
    -Unfair Advantage

16. Shanny

Shanny Member

Never thought I would see a reference to Rupaul's Drag Race on here!!! Great post

C-mac and BunnyXiao like this.
  17. Ganador

Ganador New Member

Good evening C-mac, thank you for this very helpful post.

Masterclass For Entrepreneurs has a few volumes:

- Masterclass for Entrepreneurs on Angel Investing: Insights on how to develop successful angel investing outcomes
    - Masterclass for Entrepreneurs on Angel Finance: Insights on how to successfully fund early stage ventures
    - Masterclass for Entrepreneurs on Strategic Exits: Insights on how to leverage strategic value to achieve a very high price when selling a business
    - Masterclass for Entrepreneurs on Business Growth: Insights on how to achieve higher growth in your business
    - Masterclass For Entrepreneurs: Creative Solutions For Resilience, Growth And Profitability

Were you referring to one book specifically or do you believe that all of them are worth a read?

Thanks again for the post and have a great day.

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

One of the top 3 best books I ever read, studied and adopted his life philosophy. This guy hands down had a major impact on my investing.
    sol.PNG

19. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Hi Ganador,

I've only read the last two on that list actually:

- Masterclass for Entrepreneurs on Business Growth: Insights on how to achieve higher growth in your business
    - Masterclass For Entrepreneurs: Creative Solutions For Resilience, Growth And Profitability

The growth one was really good for me. I think many of the strategies and ideas for growth are relevant to building your investment portfolio (not just a business that sells products or services).

20. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

Rich Dad Poor Dad is a a load of garbage. Robert Kiyoski is a great example of some-one who cant do, so teaches , even though managing to make a fortune from selling books he went bankrupt . The likes of Chris Grey and Micheal Yardney are useful for deveioping a different way of looking at things and mindset but their strategy is flawed and twisted from reality for the purpose of selling books. MY seems to be very busy selling for some-one who claimed to be retired decades ago. Wasnt impressed with the garbage Stuart Zadel flooded my inbox with In Hind sight Margaret Lomas's simple common sense approach has trumped those advocating losing money, work your butt off, and hope for some unusable capital gain while not being able to diversify or leverage income. Had an argument with Chris Grey about investing in the likes of Ouyen and Lake Boga about 2 Decades ago when houses in Ouyen where 30k but panicked sellers were accepting 17k , Chris said dont invest there he couldnt be more wrong, houses are now 10x that and give 100% yeild on purchase price.

R R, craigc, Cousinit and 2 others like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.