Is there another property forum?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sam700, 4th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

True, but most didn't come here to ask about their PPOR.

And most people looking for information about buying or managing a PPOR aren't interested in discussions about investment (indeed they would probably curse investors for making their next property more expensive - regardless of whether that is accurate or not :rolleyes: )

Icarus and thatbum like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally I think there's a lot of value to be had being amongst all kinds of buyers. It gives you more perspective. If you're only amongst ppor buyers you could for example, be led to buy in new estates with lots of land around and little value just because many other ppor buyers are looking there. If you are amongst investors who are also talking about long term value and fundamentals, it may help you choose a ppor in an area which has both OO appeal as well as good investment value.

Last edited: 4th Oct, 2021
    Tyla, wylie, Scott No Mates and 2 others like this.
  3. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

I would suggest that it’s best to look at this resource forum as the best value information for free you can find. So you simply need to know enough to ask the right question on the forum.

A PPOR buyer may buy 5 houses in 40 years so rarely needs this style of forum but some started off as flippers when it wasn’t cool and have gone through more than 100 properties including residential, subdivision, commercial, non urban, industrial plus aspects of council regulations, strata management, legal requirements and complex negotiations that are of niche interest to very few PPOR buyers.

As an example at the age of 40-45 I was paid well to give a 50 minute lectures around Australia in my fields. 15 years later I’m happy to give that information for free as I don’t yearn for extra income.

So I would recommend asking a well phrased question after researching the site. Unfortunately the worst questions are Where should I buy or Should I buy this? Even after 42 years in the industry I have learned substantially by reading the posts of others and I enjoy the humour, wit and comments on this site that you will not find on reddit, Facebook or many other sites where they are less selective with their members.

craigc, spoon, Stoffo and 6 others like this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You can only claim 1 PPOR at a time. IPs can be endless if you have the borrowing capacity….

I started a thread of when we bought our current PPOR, it actually went for many pages, and really, property investing was part of the reason we were able to buy the PPOR cause I felt we were in a financially secure position to be able to do it.
    Link: We bought the house!! :)

We weren’t looking to buy at the time but while on the way to my sister’s place one early December Saturday for a pool/BBQ party, I wanted to check out the local open homes on the way…. Fell in love with this place we saw….

Stoffo likes this.
  5. Sam700

Sam700 Member

yes that’s exactly the thing I’d prefer. Not interested in investment properties and I’m good with shares.

6. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

whirlpool.net.au. You will find very different people there.

balwoges likes this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If you're looking for a building and/or renovation forum then HomeOne is good Home Renovation & Building Forum and it does have a real estate section that is quite geared to the PPOR people

Redwing and Sam700 like this.
  8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

There is the search function near the top right corner :rolleyes:

That way you can read as much as you want on any given topic, you don't even have to contribute ;)

You don't have to just look at the most "recent posts" all the time o_O

The more effort you put in searching for an area or answer you are interested in the better your experience will be, pretty much like everything in life :cool:

Sam700 and wylie like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The few times I've looked at some of the forums suggested, I've thought "never again". They are poorly moderated and seem to me to be like entering a lion's cage wearing a steak singlet.

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My brother in law was asking about buying Brisbane property and he was unaware the boom started there at least 12 months ago. Anyway, I recommended that he read this forum. This was his thoughts (on left) without even looking at it, and you can see mine.... Screenshot_20211004-162034_Messenger.jpg

wylie likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm of an odd mindset - but I've always considered a PPOR purchase to be an investment of my money too, and hence want to make the best choices with that consideration.

I have also been bemused by people saying "it's my forever home" as believe there is no such thing (until you get to old to move again) - so I tend to look at things through a potential-re-sell-one-day lens

craigc, Antoni0, Sackie and 2 others like this.
  12. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Yes. I was a regular 13 years ago when we were building our home.
    After that, I lost interest. Probably because of SS.

momentum26 likes this.
  13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Same ;)
    I stumbled across PC long after purchasing my second IP.
    The PPOR mistakes I made prior, redrawing without a proper split to buy shares :eek:
    Similar with mixing PPOR and IP loans :oops:
    The lost deductability :confused:

If the OP thinks much of the learnings available here don't apply first and foremost to a PPOR they haven't read or searched anywhere near enough :p

If only I'd read 10% of @Terry_w links in the beginning I'd be retired by now o_O
    Debt recycling is #1 on my current list of wealth improvement :D
    (for the OP that's helping me reduce my PPOR non deductible debt :))

craigc, libertyrx, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  14. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

NO

This is THE forum. If you can't find gold nuggets here...

wylie and Simon Hampel like this.
  15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

...you haven't found @fullylucky. :D

16. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

The same people would answer your questions in there than if you asked them in here. I'm sure plenty of people would love to talk about their PPR if there was a section dedicated to that conversation.

Sam700 likes this.
  17. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

You can talk about shares here and get priceless information . What are you buying now? If you are a high growth investor you might want to make a contribution to the 10 Bagger thread or get some tips. If you are in to T/A you might find the Elliot Wave discussion interesting . You are already making one biggest mistakes investors make, not understanding your own bias.

Lizzie likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Not odd at all. It absolutely is an investment. Who drops 1, 2, 300k deposits plus takes on a chunk of debt without wanting their home/asset to also be a good investment? No one I know. Not even the super rich who can afford to buy anything would ignore the investment side of buying a PPOR.

It makes no sense (to me) to buy a PPOR without also wanting to understand the value/investment side of it.

Lizzie and Scott No Mates like this.
  19. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

oh I get it.
    There are plenty of home owners not interested in buying property. There's a few here in the ETF section.
    That would probly be a forum about home expenses, maintanence, problems with council, neibhours, save electricity ie led lighting, man caves, she sheds, granny flats, pools, solar, boat storage...
    Seems there's plenty of topics.

Stoffo likes this.
  20. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

This is a very functional place to participate in all things property (and to an extent shares), although @Sam700 is not entirely wrong in that its also very pro property ownership/investment with few arguments against the majority

That said however this is a property forum, and you will be equally unlikely to find anyone on a Honda forum arguing against Hondas.

To answer the question hower, no I dont know of any other forums, and anyone here would already be there if they did and thought it 'better'.

Sam700 likes this.