How are credit cards assessed?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by spludgey, 28th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I currently have a St George Amplify credit card with a $3k limit, though as I have a package and I don't pay an annual card fee, I thought I might as well get an Amplify Signature card.

Though if you've read my other thread in this sub-forum, you'll see that money is a little bit tight. I would still pay the credit card off in full and I wouldn't max it out, so really my actual situation wouldn't change (other than the fringe benefits that the new card would bring, such as insurance).
    However, I wouldn't want to get rejected as I assume it would show up on my credit report.

So, can I go for it, or am I likely to get knocked back and should just pay for travel insurance separately?

2. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

One thing to note is that the minimum credit for this new card is $15k...

3. spludgey

I know, hence me wanting to know how it's assessed. If it's the same as a mortgage I won't qualify.

mikey7 likes this.
  4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Last time I heard its based on the minimum payment due on the card on a full credit limit basis, circa 3%.Eg on a $10k card, it removes $300pm of servicing

Mick Butterfield likes this.
  5. tommo c

tommo c Well-Known Member

I've been told that they assess the maxed out balance on the card 5 times over.
    So $5,000 card limit, will reduce capacity by $25k

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Generally true, but there are some lenders that use 2.5%. I can't remember which.

A bit of an exaggeration. In practical terms, depending on the lender's policies, it's usually somewhere between 3 to 4 times the limit.

tommo c likes this.
  7. spludgey

So basically, if I don't qualify for a mortgage currently (which I don't think I do), I won't qualify for the credit card, so I'm likely to get knocked back?

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

oddly

cards personal loans and other things linked to depreciating assets are generally easier to get than mortgage backed loans.

can I suggest, dont think you dont qualify for a mortgage ( assuming thats important) and actually confirm yes or no.

THEN choose your weapon of card

ta
    rolf

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I applied for a CommBank low rate recently because they had a $300 cash back offer... I thought awesome, free $300!

Applied, got declined:(

10. spludgey

Normally, I would say this is good advice, given my circumstances at the moment, I don't want to buy in the next three years or so anyway. And once I want to buy again, any credit card can just get cancelled.

11. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Cool, so your current lender and rates and IO/PI mix is happy with you ?

ta
    rolf

12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

CommBank have introduced a new remote brain scanning technology which is now used as part of their credit assessments. It works via your webcam or their branch security cameras. As you say, you're actually using your brain for thinking, which they automatically associate with increased risk. Hence the credit scoring mechanisms declined your application.

The solution is to wait a 3 months for your credit rating to settle down, then as you reapply, focus on food, shopping or sex. These are much more aligned with approved use of credit cards. ;)

DaveM likes this.