Government workers

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Whitecat, 19th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

What are you selling Mike?

2. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Current state employee. Moved up the pay grades pretty quickly but can see a ceiling coming up.
    Looking to make the jump into contracting, doing the same thing back to the same people but for much more money.
    Won't solve the whole "work can be unfulfilling" problem but does at least provide more flexibility and pay (at the expense of security).

However I'm interested in how you go @Whitecat. I'm about to take a VR which will give me a bit of breathing space to finish my home renos and start thinking about a side business.

Whitecat likes this.
  3. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I am in real estate sales on the far south coast of NSW (Bermagui).

Colin Rice and Pumpkin like this.
  4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You could start to set it up once you know what you want to do, then apply for leave without pay or whatever. Then you would know you have your job to go back to if you wanted. 6-12 months.
    Some departments have a "career pause" or something, being there 10 years you would have some options.

JenW likes this.
  5. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

It solves a lot of problems, one of which was not feeling particularly challenged at work. I like my job, my co-workers and my department, but there just weren't any spots likely to open up in terms of promotion. While my day job obviously hasn't changed (ie. become more fulfilling and/or better paid), I now have enough going on outside of work to keep me challenged :)

So - what skill do you have that you can sell? It doesn't have to be teaching or coaching (although that is a really good one - even stuff like maths tutoring etc to primary kids). What about computer type skills? Could be simple fixes, or teaching seniors how to use the latest Office package, or how to access the intermenets.

I've occasionally thought that I should do simple business website set-ups - both of the sites I've set up look really good (in my humble opinion, hah!!) and it's the kind of thing that is easy to do and can be profitable.... it just comes down to time!!

6. Whitecat

I've decided to start a weight loss coaching business.
    I have a 1st class honors in psychology.
    Cert IV training and assessment
    Lots of experience doing yoga and some experience teaching yoga classes to groups
    Will do a course in weight loss coaching

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Hey Whitecat you might be interested in what others are doing in the fitness arena like a friend of mine Drew Manning of fit2fat2fit. He heavily employs social media. Is that something you will move towards at some stage?

Whitecat likes this.
  8. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Been with Govt for 17 years. My Partner has been back in the workforce 2 years with Govt after 14 years at home looking after kids. Both well paid. (well I think we are)
    I am very lucky to have autonomy, and I can plan my own work schedule. My staff do most of the unexciting (but still important) stuff. Farming, Property and investing is my other job. If I took on anything else, I would have no time to shoot clay targets or do the other things with family that give me joy.

Colin Rice and Whitecat like this.
  9. Whitecat

Thank you for the advice. Absolutely social media will be part of my marketing.

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Have you had a look here:
    "Biggest Loser" Week 7 Weigh In.
    Might be able to find some people to help in exchange for a testimonial or something.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Here is my story - hope this helps you think outside the square and perhaps to step outside your comfort zone

I was a public servant for over 20 years, reasonably well paid job, not much to do - so I was bored sh$tless, trying to fill my day with meaning paper shuffling....... and ended up working part time after 10 years.

The problem or the trap I found was that it was a gravy train, easy money, so pretty hard to walk away from this, but at the same time it was not fulfilling and I was brain dead. Most people I worked with never contemplated leaving their jobs. The treadmill to nowhere.

I started researching property during the day at work, eventually it consumed me and became somewhat of an obsession, getting onto forums like SS etc and within 7 years I threw away the cushy government job. It was still hard to take this step but within 1 month I knew I had made the right decision.

The idea was to continue buying and investing in property, flipping, holding, renovating..... just learning from others, no point re-inventing the wheel, just piggy back on the success of others, choose wisely:)

My partner was/has always been massively supportive, and pretty much just signed on the dotted line when required, nice when your partner backs you up, and I certainly would not be able to do what I do without his support.

I then started looking at ways to create income/cash flow in shorter time frames, looked closely at property developing and am now onto to my 5th project so far. Still lots to learn and have made some great friends along the way.

Where from here -- My latest venture is a business I have set up with 2 other developers and I plan to build on my US portfolio and to help others achieve the same, high income and growth, a double whammy....

My advice to you is ... network, network and more networking,, don't stop learning, and of course the key always is Never Give Up.

All the best

MTR:)

Brady, Colin Rice, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  12. Whitecat

Thanks MTR you are awesome

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yes, it is too easy - while draining the life blood from the very marrow of your bones.
    I couldn't imagine working my whole life in the same job.
    Good on you MTR.

14. 733

733 Well-Known Member

I had the same experience as Jamie - after years of study to find myself in a multiple roles (as one moves across departments via secondments to expand your capability profile) feeling frustrated on many occasions given how slow the cogs in government move to bring new innovative ideas in to practice...eventually learnt that moving around does not solve the problem as each department has multiple bureaucratic processes and systems that constrain innovation...one either accepts this as the trade off for a secure, high salary OR do something different that involves taking an informed risk...it is a lot harder to earn a living in the commercial sector however exciting and a positive challenge...whilst in the public service you have good opportunity to think about a future business model and start working towards a new future ...the only seduction is procrastination - make sure you set a start date for the business and a date for saying goodbye to the secure job - this builds a sense of urgency and commitment to the future...

Brady and Whitecat like this.
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's good when you find somewhere that's actually doing something.
    But you're right, over time with so many things not eventuating it becomes demoralising.

733 likes this.
  16. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Subscribe to [email protected] - "The Social Scoop" for awesome free social media training.

17. Concept

Concept Member

Starting a business is awesome. I run a number of online business which originally started as a side business and turned into something I now work on full time.

The five books I recommend people read.
    1. Millionare Fastlane by MJ Demarco (https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Fastlane-Crack-Wealth-Lifetime/dp/0984358102). If you read any book before starting your business make it this one. Excellent insights into how to structure your business, the mindset you will need, and questions you need to ask to figure out what business idea will work for you. Pure gold. Also has a great community forum.
    2. The Personal MBA by Josh Kaufman (https://www.amazon.com/Personal-MBA-Master-Art-Business/dp/1591845572) Everything about everything in business. Will give you a great introduction to the world of business.
    3. Purple Cow By Seth Godin (https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Cow-New-Transform-Remarkable/dp/1591843170). This will help you stand out from the crowd and actually distinguish yourself from the millions of businesses out there.
    4. The E-Myth By Michael Gerber (The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It eBook: Michael E. Gerber: Amazon.com.au: Kindle Store). This is a must read as soon as you start making money with your business. This will ensure that your business is a business and not just a second job.
    5. The Four-Hour Work Week (https://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workweek-Escape-Live-Anywhere/dp/0307465357). This is something you read once you have a business set up and you have started applying what you learnt in the last 3 books. This will show you what is possible when you own your own business. Some of the internet marking stuff is out of date, but the core message of the book is amazing.
    Read #1 Today. Get in action building a business whilst reading #2 & #3. Read #4 when you start making money. Read #5 once you have started to automate your business and use the concepts in #4.

Perthguy and Whitecat like this.
  18. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Just bought this one, thanks for the tip. Hopefully it is a great read. The other titles you mentioned certainly were.

Whitecat likes this.
  19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'm considering writing a book and then making a video game out of it.

Titled "Chased by the Cops". The story of a street wise Druitt kid who gets up to mischief and is constantly running foul of the law.

He one night breaks into a factory in Kurrajong Rd but is caught by the owner! Taking pity on the young rascal, the owner gives him a job in the office.

Life is great for the little ex street urchin. Working his way to accounts he falsifies invoices and diverts money to his own bank account.

But his follies weren't limited to the creditor's ledger! He also has an affair with the owner's wife and knocks up two of his daughters.

One afternoon he's sharing an Orchy with the owner and puts a question to him " Why in the blazes did you ever employ me?" The owner replies " Because you're my lost son. Now get back to work and keep your hands off my misses"

Scott No Mates likes this.
  20. Angel13

Angel13 Well-Known Member

Hey @Whitecat i just wanted to share my story.

I've been in Govt for 15 years and really loved my job until recently. I had my daughter 3 years ago and while on maternity leave (after the first 6 months of sleep deprivation) I just exploded with creativity, maybe some sort of hormone imbalance he he. It literally felt like I would burst if I didn't channel my creative energy into something. So I started my little online business designing and creating things for kids and selling them online. I also source cool stuff from around the world in small quantities and sell it in my shop. I had found my true passion.

My hubby is self employed so one of us needed a stable income especially with a little one so eventually I had to go back to the cubicle. I still have my business but at the moment as much as it pains me I have to look at it as a side hustle. It has a lot of potential only if I had the time to put into it. I design and make product in my living room and sell to customers all over the world. I'd love to do it full time but unfortunately just not in a position to. But I do have plans to scale up around mid next year once our new house is built.

I get a lot of my knowledge and motivation from podcasts. Let me know if you my go to list.

Whitecat likes this.