Downlights install quote

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by San2018, 17th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. San2018

San2018 Well-Known Member

Hello, I just bought a house and looking for renovations.

Speaking with an electrician for downlights quote, he quoted me $75 per light for supply and install for the attached lights (see pic). Are they good from the quality and functionality of point view and is it a reasonable price.

Can someone suggest an electrician to try a second quote or another approach like buying the lights myself and engage an electrician to install?

If I need to buy a light, any specific lights/ brand/ shops?

IMG_9835001.jpg IMG_9834002.jpg

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2020
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are you replacing existing lights? Are they currently hard-wired or plug-in?

If they're simply plug-in, as per the picture, anyone can replace them. You may need to patch the plasterboard.

Beano likes this.
  3. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Budget downlights can be purchased between $5-25, how many will he be doing?
    If its only 1-2 lights then i can understand the high charge if no call out fee. If its 10+ then get another quote.
    Where in Sydney are you based?
    And as mentioned above if they are plug and play you can easily do it yourself.

4. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

Is PHL short for Philips? Lights seem very budget. Are you looking for any downlight, or a Royals Royce downlight like a Brightgreen? Agree with the above posts regarding un-plug and replug.

Do you know what color "temperature" you want? 3K (yellow / warm feeling), 4K (while light), 5K (blue light)?

5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Facebook advertisements about $400 supply and install 10

San2018 likes this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If that's for 2 light's and GST in the price ,then depending if they match the cut-outs then 150 bucks with a receipt is in the range most if not all sparkies want $80-00 call-out plus just to turn up,then ask yourself what's your life worth and pay the 150 ..

7. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

This is a standard issue wholesaler downlight. Exactly the same as the rest of them. Cheapys but standard

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Do you want to see the diffuser flush with the ceiling or choose a downlight that is slightly recessed, so that the light forms more of a "pooling" effect? We have both but it depends on what you like.

The recessed ones were more expensive.

We'd chosen the recessed ones for our townhouse build but decided we aren't living there and this is one compromise we can live with because it really is a matter of taste (and not just budget).

9. San2018

New downlight lights needs to be installed in lounge, kitchen and dining hall.

Looking for some guidance.

~15-20 lights I expect. We are in Castle hill. It's new install so looking for someone reliable with reasonable charges.

It's PPOR but not looking to buy expensive one. It's ~35 years old property. Doing some basic Reno. Paint, flooring etc.

10. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Doesn't answer the questions tho.

What do the existing lights look like? Any downlights to be installed where there arent currently lights? Usually you put in a couple of downlights to replace say one big ceiling light fitting in an older house. Does cost include patching and painting afterwards?

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2020
    San2018 likes this.
  11. San2018

There is one big ceiling light and I need to replace with down lights.

Patching and painting can be done by painter. I have already engaged painter. He is happy to come back and touch up.

12. San2018

We decided to install downlights throughout the house as there is no much price difference between normal and down lights.

I received one more quote over over the weekend to install ~ 30 new down lights( URL attached for the model he is going to install) and ~30 switch/ power socket board replacement. He quoted ~60 per downlight and ~ 20 per boad replacement. Cash price.

Is it reasonable price?

ECOGEM - SAL

13. wylie

Will you be getting a receipt for the cash you pay him (in case something goes wrong)? See this thread...

How to claim electrician liability insurance

Jasmine and San2018 like this.
  14. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

San2018 likes this.
  15. San2018

Finally job finished and he installed for $50 for each downlight plus GST if I don't pay cash. Even if I pay cash, he said I can use his invoice for insurance claim purposes in case something goes wrong with his work. Not sure if i can use his unpaid invoice for insurance purposes..

16. wylie

I’d pay whatever you have to in order to sleep at night knowing there’s nothing to hide if someone comes knocking on your door.

San2018 likes this.