How to claim electrician liability insurance

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jasmine, 17th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Seeking a little advice. Had a recent kitchen renovation via a small builder. This included a total gut of the old kitchen and new cabinets, sink, downlights, etc... for the new kitchen. While the electrician installed the downlights, I had a bright idea to ask him to install two hallway downlights for $100 extra (cash in hand). We supplied the downlights. Unbeknown to me he proceeded to notch two bottom chord of two trusses. I have only recently discovered this and have scheduled a structural engineering report and inspection next week.

What is the best course of action here? Am I legally covered? The extra lights were not in the official kitchen contract. Yes, the electrician was registered and is the builders son.

2. Jasmine

One of the notches. Almost a cut. :(

Attached Files:

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Cash in hand? Hard time proving that one.

Is that the ceiling batten that he has cut or the bottom chord of the truss?

Was there a light in that position originally?

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would be more worried with fire risk the way the light would be installed,one would have thought the person would have went up into the grid and drill 2 holes away from the framework come back down and a simple hole saw finished ,the time to set this up and the end result is not good ..Also i think the ATO has a clear outline on paying cash
    and that 100 bucks could well turn into 1000's if you complain and they scope down on you and the Builders Son..imho..

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2020
  5. Jasmine

No. There was previously only a "builder's" light socket there before.

6. Jasmine

Unsure if batton or bottom chord. I am assuming bottom chord.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The OP title indicates a misunderstanding. An electrician may have insurance but only they can claim on it and that often firstly occurs when you make a legal claim on them...They refer it to their insurer who will likely oppose it first before even considering if they may pay. You must take action under their license for damages etc. Typically a Fair Trading dispute. Have you discussed with the tradesman ? Fair trading require this.

Jasmine likes this.
  8. Jasmine

Thank you for the clarification. Helps a lot. I have not called up the electrician. What is he going to do - un-notch the chord? I also hate confrontation. It can't be undone, and I know the way forward. Hopefully it only costs less that $2k, to get the report and someone to sister in a few members.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What path would you take if you’d asked him for a receipt?

10. Jasmine

Good question and thinking. While having a dedicated invoice would make any official challenge easier, I don't would think I would change my path.

11. Jasmine

The electrician was not our preferred sparky, and we had to use him for the kitchen as he was the builder's son. Who knew someone with the right tools, skills and knowledge could stuff up the installation of two downlights so badly. Really gobsmacked.

12. Scott No Mates

What dictated the position of the downlight eg centre of hallway?

Would you have accepted that the lights were off centre?

What other solution would you have suggested to the sparky?

jimmy and Anthony416 like this.
  13. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Don't stress too much about this,

Easily fixed the hole cutter just needs to get in the roof with a bit of timber and nut and bolt to the exsisting timber which was notched and span it from one top plate to the other. This will replicate the exsisting truss. Back to full strength.

If you want to be double sure and go above and beyond he can also screw another timber spanning across 3 trusses at 90 degrees to the trusses. This will prevent any sag whatsoever acting as a hanging beam.

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2020
    keenas and Jasmine like this.
  14. Jasmine

Yes, the center of the hallway.

No, would not have accepted.

ANY other suggestion. Maybe moving the lights forwards or backwards as the chord ran the width of the hallway and not the length. Hubby actually went out and got a few low profile surface mounted downlights that our preferred sparky installed this week.

Can I gently nudge the convo back to the questions:

What is the best course of action here? Am I legally covered?

15. lightbulbmoment

No fire risk concern whatsoever. Downlights these days are rated to be covered in insulation and touch timber framework.

jimmy and willair like this.
  16. Jasmine

Thanks. We're not. We know the remediation activities. But I don't trust hubby in the roof space to do this. Hence, we plan to get an official engineering report and someone to glue and screw a few sister members to the existing cord.

17. Jasmine

You think we want to invite the hole cutter back into our home? He'd stuff more up.

18. lightbulbmoment

Honestly I wouldn't waste your money on an engineering report. What I have said is exactly what to do. I'm sure if you explain to the hole cutter he fill fix it.

I see large ducted a.c. installs happen in houses everyday and guess how they get in the roof

col col, jimmy and Jasmine like this.
  19. lightbulbmoment

Simple mistake can easily happen when your being lazy and don't check before drilling.

20. Scott No Mates

upload_2020-1-17_15-24-1.png

The red arrow would appear to indicate the bottom chord of the truss, this remains unaffected (but without a better picture, I can't be certain).

The timber underneath is just a batten.

Joynz likes this.