Do you own what you post on a forum?

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by MTR, 30th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone??

I have no idea.

What if I wanted to change or delete content from x years ago from a forum? For whatever reason, is this possible?? If I dont own it

Serveman likes this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You don't own it. It's in the terms and conditions of the site.

You can ask for it to be deleted, and often it will be, but if it's a topic that someone will benefit from in an educational sense in the future then the owner of the site (Simon) can choose to keep it online.

Edit: I used the word "don't own" too simplistically. You still own it and are responsible for your content but the site has a license to use it.

Terms and Conditions which are easily and readily available excerpt
    "We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the Service at any time.

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

These terms may be changed at any time without notice."

If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use this Service. If you wish to close your account, please contact us."

Last edited: 30th Dec, 2021
    skater and MTR like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes you own it, the author has copyright. But you would need to look at the terms of your contract with the site and whether you are assigning copyright.

Even if you own it you would need to get the site to help with removal or modification of content if you don't have the ability to change it.

MTR and Cousinit like this.
  4. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

My post gets deleted by moderators all the time.
    I am the lucky one. :D

skater, Serveman and datto like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Apparently we don’t own it

6. Terry_w

why would that be?

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

As per Westminster post regarding contract?

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Never trust me over Terry!
    I've ammended my post to be more legally correct

MTR likes this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Are you talking about this forum or forums in general?

You also need to be specific about what you mean by "ownership". Does anyone ever "own" something in the digital space? Do you mean copyright? Do you mean something more specific? Having certain rights over the content? You may or may not consider that you own something - but the important question is - what does that actually give you the right to do with the content?

I can only comment about PropertyChat, not about other sites.

As per the Terms & Conditions that you agreed to when you joined PropertyChat:

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.
    So you retain copyright over the content you create, meaning that we cannot republish it claiming it was our work. We can republish it in connection with the forum - for example, if we upgraded the forum software and republished your content as part of the new forum site - but again, you still retain copyright over that content.

We don't claim exclusivity, so you would have the right to take your own content and republish it, for example, in a book form - but you do not have the right to use any other content from the site that you did not create (not without explicit permission from the individual copyright holders).

However, you also grant us (Property Chat Pty Ltd) a permanent and irrevocable license to publish what you create on this site, meaning that by posting here - you are allowing us to publish your content in perpetuity - because that's what a forum does.

PropertyChat is an online community - it works by people posting questions or discussion points and then other people responding. It is an ongoing discussion where later posts in a thread build on earlier posts. It is not a work of individuals - it is a work of a large group of people collaborating together.

Removing an individual's posts in bulk, breaks threads by making later posts less meaningful - it also affects other users who have spent time writing replies. My position is that content in a discussion is not really "owned" by the individual as such (copyright notwithstanding), but rather the thread is "owned" by the community who all contributed to it. This is not a legal position - just trying to explain where I'm coming from.

Unlike other social media platforms or blogs where you create your content and then everyone else makes comments on your content (and you generally have full control over your own content) - the discussions here are a collective work rather than an individual - a thread does not have an "owner", it only has a starter (which in some cases is arbitrary when threads get split) and then the community contributes to make it into something more meaningful.

Think of forum threads more like a collective work of art - where a bunch of people get together to create something bigger than an individual contribution. Removing an individual contribution diminishes the collective work - it is important to preserve the group effort to retain meaning.

That doesn't mean it is impossible to remove content - it just means that we won't remove it just because someone demands we do so. This is an anti-rage-quit measure - if someone dislikes my moderation policy and decides to metaphorically take their bat and ball and go home - then they cannot demand that we remove all of their content. Personal user data can be removed if requested - but content is not personal data.

If you wish to have specific content removed from PropertyChat, report the post and explain why. The moderation team will assess the request and take action we feel is appropriate. To be clear: we will assess content removal requests on a case-by-case basis but will never bulk-remove content.

In general, only content which is against the rules or contains personally identifying information will be removed - or in some cases, if we deem that removing the content will have minimal impact on the forum community, then we may also remove it (for example, a post with no meaningful replies).

10. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Previous T&Cs stated content was "public domain".
    So are all posts in that period "public domain"?

11. Terry_w

I think the Propertychat approach seems fair

12. Simon Hampel

Are you referring to PropertyChat? The T&Cs haven't changed since the site was launched and have never mentioned public domain.

13. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

May have been the old forum. I think I remember seeing it somewhere here :confused:

14. Simon Hampel

As a general approach - I suggest contacting the moderators or administrators about any old content you would like removed and respectfully explain what you would like removed and why.

Policies will differ from site to site - but it never hurts to ask.

15. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

You too?

Gen-Y likes this.
  16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As a general approach-
    Don't post anything that the ATO, Federal Police or any other governing/policing/prosecuting body may find interesting enough to come kicking your door in over !

I've posted details associated with my life experiences that family members or associates wouldn't be happy about (had I used names), sure if they read it they may still take offense but it is unlikely they will be identified or associated with my comments........

My posts about Govco I could only wish those at the top would read and acknowledge :p

Gockie likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Know the feeling;)

Gen-Y and Serveman like this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I get stuff deleted, edited or moved from time to time. Doesn't bother me at all, I figure it's Simon's show and he can do whatever he likes. If I'm not happy or think I'm being treated unfairly I can always PM him to discuss or leave.

wylie, MTR, balwoges and 2 others like this.
  19. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I got threatened with legal action for some posts I made a while ago. I contacted the mods and requested the posts be modified or removed. I had a lot of requests and they were all accommodated. It would depend on what you are asking for though. I don't think they "have" to change the posts but if your requests are reasonable, they probably will.

The Y-man, geoffw and Sackie like this.
  20. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

I'm making NFTs of my highest 'liked' posts. Most of them are about dogs.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.