COVID-19 impact on owner occupied property

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by detags, 13th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Brickbybrick likes this.
  2. Lsquare64

Lsquare64 Active Member

3. Omnidragon

Toilet paper is like the most non essential item I can think of.

Koshy likes this.
  4. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Having seen some of the footage, it should be the case that if you assault another customer or staff member, you're banned from the store for a month, with your pic on display at the entrance as a warning to others.

Brickbybrick likes this.
  5. Citycat88

Citycat88 Well-Known Member

As a landlord, I'm concerned if my tenants lose their jobs and cannot pay the rent.

Brickbybrick and Andrewjh like this.
  6. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

We are going to send staff home unless essential. Client seminars will be via webex.

Bunbury likes this.
  7. Omnidragon

I’ve already had two retail tenants ask for rent reductions or deferments.

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It has started....
    TV adverts about how to wash your hands !
    Soon they will ban international flights
    Within weeks when the voluntary home confinement (turns into mandatory), starting in NSW, followed by other states, and likely to drag out for a month !
    All at the detriment of those who obey, while others flaunting the government's attempts to reduce the strain on our health services !
    The needs of the one will most likely outweigh that of the many (but it's only the flu) o_O

9. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

The real impact of this event depends on landlords and lenders response to tenant/business requests like this. Most certainly you're not the only one with some tough decisions to make!

10. WesternRat

WesternRat Active Member

yes this will be a key factor...I imagine that there will be many in a similar situation as job losses and reduced shifts/hours flows down through the workforce chain.

and similarly, the banks will also be concerned as to whether their mortgage holders can continue paying off their mortgages...

11. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

I have one property not yet rented in brisbane for 3-4 weeks and my agent advised me to reduce rent by $20 as people coming to inspections have drasticaly reduced.
    My mates tenants have asked for $50 rent reduction it seems in brisbane, all happening.

12. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

Wiping your arse with clean toilet paper is the foundation of civilized society. Without it we might as well be animals. :)

Brickbybrick likes this.
  13. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Regards to buying it depends where and what

My friend buying 3m family home Sydney is ecstatic as she won’t be competing with Chinese and the new rules around expats mean even more stock, less competition and solid deadlines

In Italy banks are already negotiating relief for mortgage repayments

I’m not exposed and I work casually but have spare cash lying around and will be buying up shares soon. When it hits rock bottom. Not for a few wks

Brickbybrick and Lions4Eva like this.
  14. Omnidragon

I just had Colliers come present at my office. They said if you have a vacancy now and tenant wants 6-12 month rent free just give it to them.

15. Omnidragon

Can’t you just shower after?

16. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Everywhere else in the world thinks white people are dirty because they wipe and walk but 80% of the world washes very very well. Wiping does NOT clean your ass

17. FredBear

FredBear Well-Known Member

About to put my PPOR on the market, so have been in contact with agents and looking at the market closely.
    While the new rules around expats selling as a non-resident affect me and have prompted other non-resident sales recent events will more than compensate. There is a huge uptick in returning expats wanting to secure a new PPOR to return to.
    First driver is the virus situation in other countries - I wouldn't like to be in Europe, the UK or US at the moment. Luckily I returned a week ago to organize the sale of our PPOR in Sydney. The agents tell me their phones and email are running hot with inquiries coming from returning expats wanting to secure a home to return to.
    Second driver is the exchange rate, look at the change in the rates to AUD from GBP, EUR, USD and CNY in the last month. Expats have 10 - 15% more cash in AUD.

18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Changed the title to keep this thread about the original topic - COVID-19 and owner occupiers. The thread about investment property is here: Coronavirus and property values

The Y-man likes this.
  19. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

You have to give your freckle a bit of a spit and polish too, toilet paper itself only goes so far but it is the preferred medium for this.

Brickbybrick likes this.
  20. Andrewjh

Andrewjh Well-Known Member

One of the most ignorant things I've read on this forum. At least you got the TV adverts bit right.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.