COVID-19 effect on retirees

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by virgo, 19th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

{Note from mods - this thread split from here: Coronavirus and property values}

I think in 6 to 9 months, baby boomers who were planning to retire but had their superannuation whacked hard recently will be very inclined to take offers .. as they may not want to stick around to wait for a long recovery time .

The bigger the size of their super, the harder the fall...

poor thing...those in the 60 and above age group, had to face 2 stock market crashes in their lifetime...

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Mar, 2020
  2. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

The smart ones would have only had minor exposure to equities if they were near retirement age, that's what most financially literate people do.

TAJ, kierank and Brickbybrick like this.
  3. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

You will also see big demand for semi rural locations from older Australians as they try and escape the the heavily populated cities.
    Hopefully they don't all try and sell at the same time, especially those with high blood pressure, respiratory problems and diabetes,which probably accounts for half of the baby boomers or their partners .

4. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

Could not agree with that statement. "Minor exposure" so how much is that? Where else would you put your super? hopefully not cash, financially literate people know that cash doesn't work and hasn't for quite some time, any advisor will tell you that. It is easy to be an expert after the fact. I would like to know the average percentage of super money invested in cash. Maybe 20/30% if so where is the rest being invested? Lets say property and now experts are saying that is going to crash too and the list goes on.

significance, Heinz57 and noomi_nooma like this.
  5. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Do not agree with this at all. Those people that are approaching retirement, or are retired, if financially savvy will be protecting their capital, hence moving their Super into the least riskiest avenue available to them.....Cash! Whilst not getting much of a return on their monies, they are not having it eroded when equity markets go south.
    When younger I had my Super invested initially in equities for the opportunity of high growth, but also knew there were no guarantees. Time was on my side back then. About 2 years out from retirement I switched my holdings across to the Balanced portfolio. Still had exposure to equities, but on a lesser scale. Then just prior to retirement switched 80% of my holdings to Cash, for the reasons outlined above. I didn't want my capital to take a hit when things went pear shaped.
    Glad I did this, as inevitably things always hit the fan at some stage!

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm with you @TAJ as I've never worried about our super until these past couple of years, especially since the US election three years ago. I've moved some of it into cash within the fund several times over the past three years as global shirt-fronting was in full force, and then back into aggressive area as things settled. So it has continued to grow (we are not contributing to it).

More recently with the global shirt fronting ramping up, I moved 50% to cash, then 90% once first chatter of the virus came out. Thankfully, we've not lost any value and I am now relaxed. We will be using it to fund our build, and had I not moved to cash, I believe we may have lost around $70k these past couple of weeks.

That would have possibly forced us into selling a house to finish the build.

Perthguy and WattleIdo like this.
  7. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but at the last election for political advantage the Libs were actively encouraging pensioners to go for high yielding shares with dividend imputation.

For myself, pension age but still working, I moved my super from high growth to balanced in January - my financial adviser's comment at the time was "Thanks for your email. Whilst I share your concern to an extent (in terms of share markets being highly valued at the moment) we always take a long term view and focus on the long term investment outlook. There may very well be a correction on the cards, but that’s been the case for several years now and it hasn’t really eventuated yet. In fact the last 12 months has seen exceptional returns against most expectation (your fund has done 18.2%)." True, but as the small print says, the past is no guarantee of the future!

Brickbybrick likes this.
  8. Patrico1966

Not sure if you guys are the exception to the rule or not. Anyone who has moved their money from super to cash on or about the beginning of this virus would have to be classed as genius. Genius or a fluke , My original query was regarding having nearly all of one's super in cash at retirement which I disagreed with. Not sure how many retirees in Australia would have less than a balanced portfolio at the age of 65 when you have 20 years to live or even more. One of the only ways I could see that happening is if you had a very large amount in your superfund which the average Australian hasn't and that is a fact. I live next to a couple of wealthy people and they didn't touch their super based on historical events and I am in that same boat.
    Based on a suggested loss of $70k I would suggest that it was not a large super fund....cheers

Scott No Mates and Gockie like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing on the loss at $70K. I've no idea really. I'm basing it on losing $35k in a week mid last year, which it regained over the following months. There's no real way of knowing what we would have lost.

And in all the years we've had super, I've never really worried about it go up or down, but as we were close to wanting to use it for our build, it started to become more important that we protect it.

So it was not "genius" but more an assumption and fear that things might turn south. I'm glad I acted quickly as soon as the virus news started trickling out and didn't wait another few weeks though.

Perthguy and kierank like this.
  10. Patrico1966

Well , you never lost it so it was a very good result. I am down a bit more than that but based on advice I pay it will bounce back especially as it was coming off record highs. So basically I made bugger all from my super fund in the past 2.5 years.

moridog likes this.
  11. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

https://www.canstar.com.au/superannuation/super-life-stage/

12. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Not sure why this market fall is different from any other. Gfc, etc what happened after 2008? Corrections happen every 10 years or so. Most people would experience multiple crashes, if they pay attention they would learn from them.

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

The OP should have prefaced the introduction with the assumption retirees will survive the coronavirus and have a need for Super.

As for facing financial crisis, this is not uncommon. In the first half of the 20th Century there was WW1, Spanish flu pandemic, the Great Depression and WW2. The point is, major disruptions are not everyday events but are historically expected.

14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Or a good chunk of their Super in cash, say 30+%

15. kierank

... and regional hospitals, maybe hours away. No thanks.

16. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Smart baby boomers where financially independent 20 years ago, and have high exposure to equities and arent doing anything they want to retire from.

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Poor @kierank, just moved to the retiree hotspot of Australia with its brand new state of the art hospital just up the road. I'm staying right where I am, three suburbs away from Prince Charles and saving myself the hassle of moving.

BuyersAgent and kierank like this.
  18. kierank

I would rather be living in a retiree hotspot than an idiots/bogan hotspot like Bondi Beach :p.

Where is the army when you need them :eek:?

Angel and Melbourne_guy like this.
  19. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Preparing trucks for transport of [insert morbid thought] too........?

kierank likes this.
  20. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

:eek:

Should we set up a Crematorium Joint Venture? Commercial Venture re Funeral Business? Are you suggesting Sydney's Lane Cove property prices are about to crash?