Technology & Social Media Camera help needed

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 29th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm going to buy a camera tomorrow afternoon and need some recommendations. Budget is up to 3k. I'll take lessons with whatever camera I get. Nikon or cannon preferred. Digital camera.

Mostly will be used for my own enjoyment. Taking up a new hobby of photography to fill in some time. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

@Phar Lap @geoffw

@Phar Lap you once said " DSLR Canon 40D with expensive lenses and filters etc"

So should I get similar?

balwoges likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Depends if you intend to travel a lot.

I use a MFT Mirrorless (Olympus OMD) as I am not desperate about RAW format details....and hardware is basically half the size and often half the price

...and as pukey as it sounds, there's a whole generation saying iphones and galaxies do just as good a job for spontaneous and creative photography (I just find them a bugger to hold!! - I can actually deploy my Olympus much quicker than I can my iphone if I hapoen to have it with me)

The Y-man

Sackie likes this.
  3. The Y-man

Sackie likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Is Olympus on par with Nikon and cannon? @The Y-man

5. The Y-man

Mechanically I have had zero issues.

As stated above, comparing a full frame DSLR with a MFT (micro four thirds) mirrorless is a bit like apples and oranges....

Micro Four Thirds system - Wikipedia

Basically, my camera will be at half the brightness / half the detail effectively of a full frame DSLR.
    But it also means I carry roughly half the weight of lenses etc.

The Y-man

P9290002 (2).JPG P6100059 (2).JPG P5060098.JPG P9090005 (2).JPG PB210564 (2).JPG 4P7300083 (3).JPG

Perthguy, chindonly and Sackie like this.
  6. The Y-man

Sackie likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks yman . I get your point now. If you didn't mind to carry extra gear would you still get the Olympus? Those pics are amazing though!

8. The Y-man

I also love the looks of the OM-D E-M10 :D
    I just think it is so perfectly retro! Olympus did awesome work on the dials etc

This is the OM-D EM-10
    [​IMG]

Now compare with the Olympus OM-1 from 1972!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Y-man

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. The Y-man

I tried the Canon D-whatever it was in the same price range - for some reason my finger couldn't find the shutter button (???figure that out?? - it's just strangely placed)

Canon was my first choice as I grew up with a Canon AE-1 SLR - but sadly disappointed with the new Canon DSLR series, I was going to go Nikon, but really couldn't go past the value of the Olympus.

Would I go for the DSLR if the bulk/weight/PRICE wasn't an issue? Probably.....

The Y-man

10. The Y-man

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

12. The Y-man

13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

If the camera was as specified, it would be useless. It states an f45.6 lens, which would be impossible to use. It is actually an f4-5.6 lens, which is different altogether. But it's still a bit limited for night shots. Perhaps a fixed lens with a bigger aperture as an extra lens.

It depends on what you want to use it for. If you are going to use it as a travel camera, I'd be suggesting something without a removable lens. Something like this has a much wider lens, which enables you to shoot in much darker conditions than the one you've linked to- and the zoom range is far bigger, which would be much more useful for distant shots than you would need for general photography. But you lose out in the quality. That might only show if you want to really magnify the shots. The EOS has a 24Megapixel sensor, the Panasonic has just a 12 Megapixel. (This is just a random one I picked out, not one that I know - and the long telephoto lens will probably cause an inferior image in other things).

https://www.amazon.com.au/Panasonic...ocphy=9071944&hvtargid=pla-569421349171&psc=1

If you're going to be shooting around home, you don't need the space saving and convenience of a fixed lens camera, and you can take all your lenses with you. But if you are travelling, you will appreciate being able to just pick up and shoot, and have minimal packing space. My daughter was in Africa - she was able to get off half a dozen telephoto shots before her friends could even change their lens.

Sackie likes this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If i went with the DSLR 200, what lens would you recommend for scenery shots?

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That's got a good lens for scenery shots. If you would like to also take low light shots, you might consider a 49mm f1.8 or even f1.4. But you might want to see how you use it before you spend too much.

Why I chose an 18-55 mm kit lens when I had to choose only one lens - DIY Photography

There's a thread about bicycles which has a similar point. Don't spend too much when you're starting out. Learn everything you can, take heaps of photos. Then if you decide you really want to go in deeper, get some much higher quality more expensive gear. The one you're looking at is reasonable enough with costing a fortune.

Sackie likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks mate. I'll take your advice . See what deals on tomrrow.

geoffw likes this.
  17. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

$3k will get you a sweet set up. That's quite a lot of money to spend if you're starting out.

Lenses can set you back a bit - I started out with a versatile/multi purpose lens. I can't remember the exact specs - but it wasn't long before I was spending money on additional lenses. I started with a 50mm prime (awesome for portraits) and then a wide for landscape shots....and then came the cokin filters, tripods, etc.

Photography is a super fun hobby - you can also learn heaps from youtube tutorials.

Have fun!

Cheers

Jamie

Sackie likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I had the AE1+Program: shutter priority, manual & programmed exposure.

I bought a Canon DSLR many years ago - it uses a CF card (predates SD & USB). Maybe time to upgrade.

I've always liked the Nikon always well optioned but were very pricey.

Likewise Olympus makes outstanding equipment. I'm with @The Y-man and check out the OM-D.

The essential extra is a UV-B filter on each lens (acts to prevent scratches and finger marks on the lens). They're cheap and replaceable.

Last edited: 29th Apr, 2019
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I must be old, this was my favourite tome:

20. The Y-man

That's wierd - must be a common typo or something - as I just noticed the link I provided to my M. Zuiko lens has the same thing! :eek:

The Y-man