QLD Brisbane North Side Investment

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Andrew Best, 22nd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lawrence Barnes

Lawrence Barnes Well-Known Member

Some of the unit market in Brisbane is in over supply mode for sure, but certainly not all of it. Keperra is a great spot and you are on the right track here for sure. I have been watching this area for years and it's doing very well. If you can grab a house here that needs a bit of work this is the way to go. I would target the post war style homes as they have character and and easier to add value through reno's.

Andrew Best likes this.
  2. Lawrence Barnes

Starting point for investment all depends on where you are buying, you cannot compare Sydney and Brisbane for example. I think you need to focus on the first property for the moment as you are speading yourself to thin. BTW using LMI is a useful trick don't be so quick to write it off. If i had not used LMI i would not be sitting on a decent portfolio now.

Andrew Best likes this.
  3. Lawrence Barnes

No, not all suburbs. Be careful what you hear on the news as they tend to tarnish the whole unit market in Brisbane on the decline and it's not the case.

Andrew Best likes this.
  4. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

I bought in this pocket

upload_2018-1-23_14-12-50.png

We've had it since 2015. We used a buyers agent, as we live interstate. I had a desktop valuation done from our mortgage broker mid-last year, 3 bedroom @ 457K. So, that makes it 12% increase ( 2015 - 2016 ).

It was vacant for a few weeks when we owned it, had to get carpets done plus re-paint. I think had to drop the rental as well.

Andrew Best and Sackie like this.
  5. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

5 years ago i looked at buying a unit in Bris, ended up with a house. Now the prices are less than that which i looked at 5 years ago for good units close to Brisbane. It is pretty basic maths, but that looks like no growth to me. If we could guarantee that they had bottomed it might be OK, but i just see more building going up, and fewer buyers .......................... so where on earth are safe places to invest in Units in Bris?

Houses, on the other hand seem safe as ....... well ....... houses.

Andrew Best likes this.
  6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I would stay away from units in the whole SEQ. I would avoid them like wildfire. The prices, yields and rents have been steadily declining regardless of where I look.

Andrew Best likes this.
  7. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Thats weird where i bought has gone up in 4 years although admittedly plateaued the last couple.

A big part of an investment is getting the entry price right. So actually i think thats a positive for units.

I dont know anyone who would live more than 20k out of brisbane unless at the coast. The schools are crap and theres nothing to do.

8. Noobieboy

The peak of the supply supposed to eventuate end 2018. So the fact that it “plateaued” might be only an indication of things to come.

9. James90

James90 Well-Known Member

Just the 375 000 people in Mbrc and 320 000 or so in Logan council....

Toon, Noobieboy and eletronic_exp0430 like this.
  10. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Hahaha yep. People think there is no life outside of 15kms of any major CBD - naive, uneducated and simplistic thinking at its best.

I've made the most money out of suburbs that are further out than the ones I have within the 15km ring. I own places close and far out from major CBDs - both can be very very good investments.

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2018
    Andrew Best likes this.
  11. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Some of these are within 20k or coastal.

Too much land and no desirability. I would take the unit in a desirable area for a good entry price.

12. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I did see a fantastic unit in CBD 2 bed and in albert hotel ....... I would loooove one of them. Sold sight unseen for cash - only asking 325K. So I would say that there are bargains which you get in a bloodbath. So it looks completely unsafe. The price for which a great unit goes is rock bottom, and there are years of over supply. That purchaser is braver than me.

On the other hand buying in the burbs with 900m land (or more) seems like a no brainer, it can't crash too far cos it's cheap enough, it is actually nice to live in (or for someone to rent) and can access the madding CBD crowd on the odd occasional insane moment when one desires drunken debauchery, long lines, sweaty people wearing suits, and w$%#kers driving madly.

For me I like bogans, and having nothing to do is like a hobby for me.

Icarus and James90 like this.
  13. Andrew Best

Andrew Best Active Member

Here are a couple of examples I've been looking at.

10 Springer Place Bracken Ridge Qld 4017 - House for Sale #127334590 - realestate.com.au this one I think is priced just about right, not cheap, not overpriced. In a good location a short walk from the woolworths / park / bus. Much better value than this one for example at the same price 2 Cater Street Bracken Ridge Qld 4017 - House for Sale #127406406 - realestate.com.au

On the cheaper side of the suburb, there is 362 Bracken Ridge Road Bracken Ridge Qld 4017 - House for Sale #127385342 - realestate.com.au certainly a cheaper entry point, but by far the worst side of the suburb.

@BB5 I've always lived around 20k from town, both when I lived in SA and in QLD, so I'm reasonably comfortable with investing in that band. I'll go closer if I can find the right price and good indicators.

ndpjai likes this.
  14. fat cactus

fat cactus Well-Known Member

15. Noobieboy

Is that a sewage plant south of the property?

fat cactus likes this.
  16. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

Many/most areas of Logan are 20km+ from CBD and heaps of people are living there.. decent vacancy rates too. We aren't even talking of coast.

Last edited: 28th Jan, 2018
    Andrew Best likes this.
  17. James90

James90 Well-Known Member

fat cactus likes this.
  18. ZeeZeeTops

ZeeZeeTops Member