QLD Brisbane Property Q1 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Property Twins, 1st Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

{Note - thread continued from here: QLD - Brisbane Property 2017}

Happy 2018... Here is hoping 2018 will be the year for Brissy.

Though hope is not a strategy. Hence whilst many regions of SEQ are discussed extensively, it's essential to look at the fundamentals along with the supply and the vacancy rates.

Our Pick: Moreton Bay region
    Suburbs: Between Strathpine and Kallangur / Murrumba Downs
    Price Point: $375k to $450k
    Rental Yield: Aim for 5.5% plus.12 months ago you could do 7% on even the well located properties
    Preferred property type: Highest built downstairs (helps cashflow), though flexible given the upside the properties in the region offer

Essentials:
    * Property to have an upside as several blocks in the areas are Urban Neighbourhood (high density) and Next Gen station Neighbourhood (medium density) zoned. Check out PD online
    * Within proximity to train and shopping malls (Strathpine centre was purchased by a Hong Kong family in the last 18 months and will be redeveloped; Westfield Northlakes, IKEA and Costco are relatively new, new train stations in Kallangur and Murrumba Downs, upcoming University in Petrie)
    * Must be a rectangular, flat block on the high side

Watch Out For:
    * Flood Zones
    * Overland Flowpath
    * Bushfire Hazard
    * Vacancy Rates - Suburbia have high vacancy rates and hence it's important to buy something well located with a future upside

Capital growth observed in the last 12 months: 10%

What's your pick in Brisbane for 2018?

Last edited by a moderator: 13th May, 2018
  2. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

You were up late last night to start this thread! Did you party hard? Wow, your type of property just about lines up with what I’ve got. I’m not sure whether I should base my rental return on market value (about 450k) or purchase cost (330k).

Did the suburbs you mention all achieve a 10% capital growth? Surely not all these suburbs have a high vacancy rate. What do you define as a high vacancy rate?

Brooke Colledge and Tom Rivera like this.
  3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

So do you guys own anything there...i.e. Strathpine and surrounds..personally Redlcliffe offers much better value at the moment...

I thought you were fans of Logan lower socio and land banking? What has changed?

4. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

2018 WILL be the year for Brisbane. Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Gold Coast and even flipping Hobart have all had their days in the sun. Perth and Darwin are still basket cases.

Since 2015 we have been waiting for the overflow effect of the Southern boom to reach us. Felt like some good traction being made in the latter half of 2017, most media predicting Brisbane for biggest growth in 2018, Infrastructure being built, jobs growth, positive net migration. Surely 2018 is the year.

Now probably Adelaide will do 15%! :mad:

Property Twins and kierank like this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

From where I sit positive growth for Melbourne, Canberra, Hobart, Brisbane, Gold Coast, and Adelaide. The top performing areas will be Hobart and Canberra.

Sydney will experience neutral or negative growth for the first time in 7 years.

I feel Perth will not go backwards...it might be slightly negative or neutral.

adam duckworth and Pentanol like this.
  6. Matt87

Matt87 Well-Known Member

I own in Wellington Point. Not a bad area, seen big growth in the last few years.

7. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Nothing to add. I'm posting on this thread to hype it to where the 2017 thread was and the Brisbane looks good thread before it.

8. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

The Brisbane northside CG sprawl continues... now seeing houses in Bald Hills go for $400-$500k+ let it grow... let it grow... let it grow

Brooke Colledge likes this.
  9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

It will mate..it will keep going for another couple years....lots of FHBers and Sydney people migrating buying up in the North.

Taku Ekanayake and jchan86 like this.
  10. Matt87

Matt87 Well-Known Member

Looking for a lot of growth in 5 years would be nice ;-) wishful thinking

11. jchan86

Thought I'd re-post an older post of mine (with some updates) in this thread:

The reasons why I like Brisbane / Brisbane Northside:

Brisbane In General: Employment Growth + Interstate Migration surging to their highest levels since the GFC

Brisbane-Northside: Good commercial infrastructure/employment nodes (and forecasted future employment nodes):
    • Brisbane Airport (2nd largest employment hub in SEQ by 2020)
      • Increasing number of flights to/from Asia
    • Eagle Farm Area ("Australian Trade Coast" / Trade Area + NBN extending from Eagle Farm to Eatons Hill). The Eagle Farm area is the highest density area of employment within the ATC, with a diverse industrial base and in a strategic location to the Brisbane Airport / Brisbane River / CBD
    • Westfield Chermside ($355 million re-development almost complete) - Chermside is gentrifying well. Westfield Chermside was a family hub for NYE Fireworks at 7:00pm and 9:00pm last night.
    • Eagle Farm Racecourse (redevelopment - BRC | Brisbane Racing Club)
    • Hamilton/Portside precinct development
    • Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade Project (increasing road capacity and expected to be complete by 2019)
    • University of Sunshine Coast being built in Petrie by 2020
    • Transport links extending further through the Northside
    • Costco/Ikea/Westfield already at North Lakes
    Essentially suburbs in between all these major nodes have started to trend upwards, especially areas with good access (e.g., motorways; Gympie Rd, Sandgate Rd too) as this also bridges good access to Westfield Chermside, the Brisbane Airport, hospitals etc.

Essentially this area is becoming like a satellite city. Think about the above hubs and draw concentric circles away and look for the suburbs that haven't moved yet to capitalise on the opportunistic capital gains.... some suburbs have already moved (e.g., Carseldine/Aspley) and have reached an artificial ceiling (so investing in those areas.... money will just tracking sideways - probably similar to Chermside West)

I essentially drew concentric circles away from core hubs and locations of significant interest are:
    • Bracken Ridge
    • Boondall / Zillmere
    • Virginia (price already moved)
    • Eatons Hill (if you can get in at the right price - great o/o suburb)
    • Bray Park / Lawnton / Petrie / Strathpine
    *Bullish on the above* - leaving the below in purely as it was a copy/paste

Why I'm a fan of Bracken Ridge especially
    • Opportunistic buying
    • Good Owner-Occupier interest (ultimately, the people that push the prices up); very strong family-oriented suburb and low-middle income earners breaking into the middle-middle or high-middle income bracket) - some even extending into the lower-high with houses in the $600-$750k mark; my recommendation is that if you pick something up between $450k-$550k you've got opportunities to further manufacture equity too
    • In comparison to nearby suburbs (e.g., when compared to neighbouring Fitzgibbon), you can get blocks of land and houses in an area with a tonne of great family-friendly facilities
      • Good public transport system (i.e., bus route - 330/331 - express to Chermside, Royal Brisbane Women's Hospital, CBD; train stations in adjacent suburbs which are a 5-10min drive away - Bald Hills, Carseldine, Zillmere Railway Stations)
      • Schools - great schools especially in comparison to adjacent suburbs (St. Joseph's Primary School in Bracken Ridge has an excellent rating)
      • A tonne of child care facilities (note owner-occupier above and safe neighbourhood)
      • A Coles and Woolworths anchoring a shopping plaza in opposite "corners" of Bracken Ridge
      • Refurbished library
      • New recreation facilities (Emily Seebhom Aquatic Centre) and a range of sporting facilities
      • 4 petrol stations
      • Telegraph Rd extending to 4 lanes (a helpful access route to bridge two of the main roads/arteries into Brisbane - Gympie Rd and Sandgate Rd)
      • Might sound very silly, but the McDonalds in Bracken Ridge is one of the largest grossing McDonalds in Australia (circa pre-Sandgate McDonalds)... again purely by location and a very smart businessman
    • Large Tafe facility - interesting to hear tradies who've become established have started to settle back into Bracken Ridge (e.g., especially when you have a good trade hub - like Brendale/Carseldine for great access and a lot of further growth happening further north)
    • House proud owners towards the Phillips St side of Bracken Ridge and in the Enbrook estate; next time I've got a map, happy to share with you where I think the ideal catchment area is
    Jump on Realestate.com.au and look at the Sold houses in Bracken Ridge and just trawl through the last 24 months.... you'll certainly see a trend. The ripples of capital gains of the likes of Nundah/Wavell Heights/Northgate/Banyo etc have already happened so in terms of opportunity cost, I think there's certainly great opportunities further north (but not too far north)... follow the ripple effect

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I'm really really really liking this thread.

13. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I'd like it even more if my IP wasn't in the Ipswich region :(

Brooke Colledge and Heinz57 like this.
  14. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Doesn't this tell you about the demographics of the area more than anything?

15. Matt87

Matt87 Well-Known Member

Go bayside it’s great

16. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Inala. After the Struggle S doco, Mount Druitt shot up.. most recent season had Inala..therefore cert :p

Patrick Bateman and Angel like this.
  17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I thought thought I saw a putty cat...weally....why? :D

Matt87 likes this.
  18. jchan86

What this tells me is opportunity... Disposable income willing to be spent even if it is just for fast food.

There's certainly a demand for more restaurants or more fast food locations within this area which has occurred over recent years. FYI another McDonalds was built in Sandgate/Shorncliffe in 2014 which did reduce the Bracken Ridge McDonalds customer-base... in other words, people were willing to travel within this general catchment area

Last edited: 1st Jan, 2018
  19. Matt87

Matt87 Well-Known Member

How much % do you think bris will grow this year?

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I think those who bought over the last 3 years will be happiest over the next 3 years. Not saying recent buys can't do well though.

{Note - thread continues here: QLD - Brisbane Property Q2 2018}

Last edited by a moderator: 13th May, 2018
    Matt87 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.