Best Robot Vac?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by The Y-man, 9th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm not really happy with the performance of my robot vac. I don't think it's the brand, I just don't think that something that size can really do the job.

I've got a Ronorock S6 Pure -$600. It supposedly is good for cleaning hard floors, carpets and for light mopping. It doesn't really do a good job on anything. Certain types of first doesn't appear to get swept up from a hard floor. Vacuuming doesn't really do a deep vacuum. The mop is like using a very lightly dry wet cloth on the floor.

A big waste of money imo.

Lizzie and The Y-man like this.
  3. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

We have had iRobot for more than 10 years on timber floors and very happy.

The Y-man likes this.
  4. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Oh to me, it’s one of the best investments- maybe because we both hates vacuuming. It does it’s job but you need to be very patient. We use it mainly on hardwood floors. We didnt go for mop option as we heard negative views. Our brand is Xiaomi.

The Y-man likes this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Takes a while but it gets the job done - eventually.

Robot cleaner.gif

Coffee and The Y-man like this.
  6. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

I have a roborox S5 max. Love it. We have a townhouse with open plan living and the main room gets slammed with traffic and mess (5 people in house with 2 of them young).

I tidy up before I do the kids bedtime routine and run it while I am up there takes 40 minutes to do the entire room it usually manages to half fill the hopper. I agree to mop is more a damp cloth than a mop but it grabs more dust the vac left behind.

We have a cleaner once a fortnight and use it every second or third a night inbetween for that one space. It's like a vigorous sweep rather than a vac.

Haven't used it on carpet as our carpet areas are shoes off and get done by the cleaner which seems enough. If they get cheaper would love on that does the outside deck and or garage as both those area track in a lot of dust and dirt into the house.

The Y-man likes this.
  7. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

upload_2021-5-10_7-10-15.png
    Rosie

The Y-man likes this.
  8. willister

willister Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely convinced robot vacs especially given it's size as @geoffw pointed out can seriously do a decent job. My wife is a bit of a clean freak so we do the whole vacuum/mop every night after dinner. This means our living, kitchen and dining areas - all tiled.

I'd guess those robot vacs may be used like every other day rather than every day.

The Y-man likes this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I have the Roborock S5 and I have never tried using the mopping feature as I knew it would be hopeless but I only bought it for the vaccuum. We have tiles everywhere so whilst it doesn't suck as well as my Dyson it does a pretty good job for in between a proper vacuum which is all I ask of it.

For me the pros are:
    - can go under all my furniture and beds
    - vacuums by itself
    - can pick up our dog hair
    - I can tell it to clean just one zone
    - I can set no-go areas on the map (ie we have hobless showers so we have told her not to go into them)

Cons
    - the dustbin is not that big however I find it can hold 2-3 house cleans so it's sufficient
    - the humans in this house all have long hair and seem to shed an insane amount so I have to cut hair off the wheels etc every few weeks (not the vacuums fault but due it's little wheels does cause issues)
    - sometimes gets lost or trapped but not a huge issue as I can find her on the map and sort her out

geoffw and The Y-man like this.
  10. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

Also a fan of the s5 max, curiously tho, the naming convention does not make sense, as the s5 max is better than the s6.

they have a new one again, which is supposed to rid you of the issue of running over animal crap and spreading it throughout the house

The Y-man likes this.
  11. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

12. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

My wife bought a Deebot 600, and it did a pretty good job of vacuuming, but it is a "dumb" robot, so basically bounces around trying to make sure it vacuums everywhere.
    Then Aldi had the Deebot OZMO 920 for sale, so I bought one of them too. I am very happy with it. It can scan a room and store the layout so it is much quicker, and it can "mop" as well as vacuum. You can also set up virtual boundaries, and it aparently can handle different floor surfaces (so it doesnt mop a rug, for example).

We run the 920 every day in the back room, and every few days in the rest of the downstairs area. The 600 now lives upstairs and vacuums the carpet every few days.

It is amazing how much crap they pick up - even vacuuming every day.

Redwing and The Y-man like this.
  13. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've got an iRobot in the office. It's the model with the bag in the docking station that empties the robot. In 6 months I've yet to empty the bag, but the office floors are generaly fairly clean.

My only problem with it is it sometimes doesn't align the charging points in the docking station and the battery will go flat until I give it a kick.

My 18 month old nephew also likes to pull out brooms and mops whenever he can. He's getting reasonable at it too!

craigc and The Y-man like this.
  14. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I bought the xiaomi robot vacuum for about $300 few years ago. I only use it clean the bed room carpet. It can easily go under the bed and clean it. It works well to remove dust from the floor.
    I wouldn't use it as a replacement for the big vacuum cleaners.
    When it get stuck, it think it curses me because it only talks in one of the Chinese dialogue :)

samiam and The Y-man like this.
  15. The Y-man

Thank you to all who posted on this thread.

Ended up with a iRobot e6 - while it didn't look very effective, the amount of stuff it picked up is quite an eye opener.

Very impressed - although on it's very first job, I got the very message @Redwing showed above while out. Very puzzled as we left it sweeping the downstairs area, we discovered our little machine had found a carpet offcut, rolled it up under it, so it thought it was going over a cliff :)

The Y-man

Last edited: 15th May, 2021
    Lizzie and Redwing like this.
  16. The Y-man

Update - so the little robot has been doing the rounds pretty much every second day - and still picks up a decent amount of dust and whatnot.... rather amazed at how much it finds! Or does it somehow synthesize it's own fluff and stuff????

The Y-man

Islay likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice