Stick vacuum recommendations

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 5th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Waaaaay to much dog hair with a double coated Retriever cross and a long haired Border cross

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Last edited: 5th May, 2021
    Westminster likes this.
  3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Why are people not happy with Dyson? I think mine just died, V6, keeps turning off but it’s been 5 years. I’ve got a spare new battery so I’ll have to test it out. I guess that not a long lifespan though? I haven’t had to vacuum my kids rooms since I got it and I use the old barrel one when I do a full house vacuum. It’s 8.5 years old now.

Last edited: 5th May, 2021
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've just bought a robot-vac. While it's nice that you don't have to push anything around, it does a barely satisfactory job of picking up. It can replace sweeping of hard floors - but the mopping function is almost useless. It picks up loose dirt from carpets but it doesn't do a good carpet clean.

I spent half the money on the Xiaomi stick vacuum, and got far more value.

Lizzie likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've had mixed success with Kogan products - some excellent, some useless.

I don't trust Kogan reviews though - they ask for them too soon after the product has been received, so no chance to see about reliability issues. I prefer Productreview - though they didn't have any reviews of the T10. The T8 rated poorly.

Price.

They tend to be more expensive than other similar products which perform well.

Propin likes this.
  6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks, I can’t remember what I paid for my last one, maybe $250-350 when they sold cheap when new model arriving. Big w have two V7 available for $400 and $450 which is supposed to be 30% and about 40% off, although the other brands people have showed are still half the price again.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The old ones are good, new ones are rubbish. My $800 Dyson had pathetic suction on floorboards and rugs (compared to what is owned before) and was happy when it finally died at 3 years old

Propin likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I had a Dyson upright. Everyone raves about this brand. Wouldn't pick anything up. Put it in for repair. They fixed it, warranty job. Still didn't pick up. Didn't improve anything, and they admitted they'd not actually tried to vacuum anything, just got it going. Doh! Took it back, showed them that it didn't pick anything up. Had it replaced with a new one. Exact same problem with second one. Starting to think something is wrong with me.

Have had two Dyson sticks now. They work ok, but I don't think they are worth the money. Son has the latest, larger head, bigger motor, holds much more battery life and works with their cat hair issues. But I'm not paying over $1k to take another chance on this brand.

Antoni0, Lizzie, Propin and 1 other person like this.
  9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks, that’s right, I remember hearing the older ones were better!

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

For us, we bought a Dyson Animal as we have an animal and she has fur (as many animals do). The suction was decent enough but the quality was dreadful. For a vac near on a thousand bucks you expect better.

about 3 weeks after the warranty ran out the little clip you pull to take the chamber off broke (cheap crappy quality plastic). We rang Dyson and you can't get just the clip, you need to replace the entire barrel and of course, they wanted a couple of hundred bucks for that.

I did a retro fix and managed to make it work I mean we only needed the clip to empty the thing. Over the course of the next few months more and more started to go wrong with it.

I threw it in the bin a couple of months later and bough a cheap cordless one. It wasn't great but it was more convenient than plugging the dyson in and lugging it up and down the stairs.

When we moved to QLD, we threw that one away too and were going out to buy a new plugin one as we don't have stairs here. We went to a big harvey norman clearance at the convention centre and got into looking at this LG battery poweered thing.

I have not owned anything LG in the past so I had no predisposition to them.

Other than us thinking there was an issue when the tube was blocked (not a fault with the Vac) and even LG support not thinking to tell us to check that, we have had no problems. Occasionally I might need to clean the heads and whatever but considering it is 4 years old and used more frequently than vacuums should be. It's awesome.

Fur, Sand, Broken Glass, Food crumbs (both Animal and Human), grass, dirt and dust have all had their butt kicked in our house because of this vac.

To be honest, this is the quality I expected from the Dyson, it's just not what we got from the Dyson.

Propin, Lizzie and bmc like this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Crikey... today in my junk emails is an email for Dyson. Talk about being tracked! :eek::eek::eek:

Propin and Shogun like this.
  12. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

I have a 3 year old Dyson cordless. It was hanging on the bracket on the wall and the dog ran past, knocked it over and it exploded into a few dozen pieces.
    But i managed to put it back together. (with a little bit of duct tape) - thanks Macgyver.

it worked great from new. You only get about 10mins run time on high but i accepted that for the convenience.
    the initial price is a little harder to accept, as with most Dyson products. (great marketing Dyson)

it probably needs a good clean out and filter replacement by now.
    the battery is now gone and only getting about 2 mins before it stops.
    a new battery is ($80) / filter ($15)

although newer models have longer run times, bigger bins, I don't know if I would buy another Dyson.
    They cost a premium and there are other brands on the market now that seem to have good reviews

Propin, wylie and jghum like this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

My current constant pop up ads are for Hello Fresh and Marley Spoon ... :D

14. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

We had a dc59 paid 150 second hand. Used it for 3 years on hardwood. Worked fine.

Brushes wore out and battery dropped a cell so sold it for $50 and used the credit card points on a v11. Having the fluffy roller has been brilliant.

Lg is great and lots cheaper but wasn't available at Myer so no cc points could be used. I think the v11 should be $500 not 1000+ to be decent value.

Recently bought a Milwaukee stick vac for work and it's as powerful as the Dyson and sucks up gyprock dust and excess copper offcuts, has a longer warranty and cost under $400 without a battery. It's noisy but it does have a switch so you don't have to press the trigger which is so much better than the stupid Dyson. Dont mind the trashed floorboards
    IMG20210329171326.jpg

15. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

OH MY GOD Would you look at that thing, I would be scared my cat would dissapear if she got too close, just a little tail poking out the end of the thing.

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It looks like it should also drill, jackhammer and be able to ride it to work

Dan Donoghue and Piston_Broke like this.
  17. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

A drone with a brochure is on it's way. It will ring the door bell soon.

18. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

IMG20210427082802.jpg
    Unfortunately not but have what you're looking for

spludgey and Lizzie like this.
  19. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I'm into cordless tools like some women are into shoes. When I see something I don't have yet, I always have to convince myself why I don't absolutely need it.
    Good thing my tastes are a little cheaper than yours though. :)

IMG_20210420_142248.jpg

20. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Never again have Dyson. Quality was really bad. I was more than happy to retire our 5 year old Dyson to the hubby's garage.

Also, my friend have problems with 1 year old Dyson stick vac. Suction not good apparently.

Personally really happy with Tineco stick vac. from Godfreys. Excellant results even in carpets and we have cats and dogs :eek:

Propin, wylie and Lizzie like this.