Zoning/development question

Discussion in 'Development' started by dan2101, 6th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just a question in regards to a block I'm considering purchasing. It currently a single dwelling on 4acres of land. Currently zoned RU2 - rural landscapes. Im already aware of what this zoning means.

Down the hill below (on flatter land) is a large new housing development. These housing developments have gradually been sprawling further out as land becomes more scarce (up towards the block I'm thinking of buying).

I guess my question is does anyone know how common it is for blocks zoned RU2 to be changed to suit future sub divisions? When councils are looking at changing zoning do they take into account topography or is it merely a decision based on land size and current community demand?

It's a fair purchase price so I'm slightly nervous but the future rewards could be significant.

Cheers

Dan

2. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Hi Dan.

Usually that's a state-based planning system in conjunction with your local authority.

It's a tiered system whereby land might be zoned 'rural' (with a definitive natural or linear boundary like a property boundary or road etc) and then there is the 'urban' or 'town' zoning closer to a population centre.

In the middle is sometimes a 'development' area, possibly even an 'urban deferred' zone (like in WA) - usually an area earmarked for future development in a forward strategic planning document - that requires working with a local authority and the state to deliver a structure plan or similar; like an approved map designed in line with your relevant state planning regulations for road widths, open space reqs, lot sizes, neighbourhood connectivity etc.

What you might be seeing is this expansion of your local population centre into this area. These areas often aren't widely advertised as having this underlying possibility; and even if they are, they're often ignored because it can often mean nothing to owners at the time.

Just because it's next to this area doesn't mean it is likely to benefit from this allowance or zoning.

3. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply @Aaron Sice much appreciated.

Is there any way of getting your hands on the forward strategic planning document or similar? All we've been able to ascertain is that there is a 'possibility' for future development. Obviously it's a risk and there are no guarantees when it is currently zoned RU2 but I guess we would at least like to think we are taking an educated risk rather than straight up gambling!

I'm not sure how true this is but one of the local agents said that if it was a possibility for future development in the next 5-10 years developers would already be onto it and offering big money. Not sure how true this is? Do they often get an inside tip from someone in council?

Thanks
    Dan

4. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

The document(s) you refer to should be part of the state's planning maps. Your local authority should be able to point you to a zoning map for your area or even just email you one.