Sports & Fitness Your worst sporting injuries and mishaps

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 6th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Thought I'd start a thread.

I restarted aerial silks/lyra/trapeze classes again a few weeks back, I usually end up with bruises everywhere, but what is painful is I have strained my neck twice in about 3 weeks... no fun at all to live with, particularly for sleeping.

I stuffed my right shoulder about a year ago, I think I just took it beyond its limit, lost all my power to spike and serve in volleyball. It's getting better though (the pole/aerial classes helped!).
    And I stuffed my right knee around 7 years back, I was playing volleyball on a dirt patch in Laos and my knee scraped with some of that dirt and some bacteria got in and it got infected.... just never been quite the same since.
    And then I've had quite a few sprains for fingers and ankles over the years, little finger on the left no longer straightens at the last joint.

And while going for a social mountain bike ride, there was this time about 10 years ago in wet conditions I slid through a corner (on road!) on my pushbike, fell off, ended up with a hugely sore tailbone for months... sitting on a bus was painful, could not sit in a movie theatre and watch it comfortably. Saw a chiropractor later... a huge difference! But still felt the pain recently when sitting on a really long plane flight.

Anyway, wondering about your worst injuries and mishaps....
    And my best general words of wisdom I can give is to seek medical attention/physio/chiro asap after it happens.

Oh, what is interesting... I've had no unicycle stacks thus far! But I'm not quite brave enough yet to ride without some assistance. A unicyclist said to me, if you are falling to one side you should turn to ride into that direction, but I haven't really tried to ride properly without support so I haven't tried that theory out yet...

The worst I've seen, is I saw a netball player have bone sticking through a lower limb above an ankle... that was totally not pretty.

I also saw one time when a girl broke her forearm playing volleyball because she received a spike from a male opponent the wrong way with her upper limb. (It was a mixed tournament).
    Stuff happens...

Gladys likes this.
  2. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Geez, where do I start!

Probably worse bike crash would be when travelling 50+ someone clipped my wheel and I came off and dislocated my shoulder. Same crash I had probably 10-15% body coverage of road rash of whuch I had to have bits of bitumin scrubbed out of my hip, thigh and knees!

Ive had a few other cool crashes but walked away relatively uninjured except more bark off and a broken scaphoid.

My most recent injury was a rolled ankle and dislocated finger after a fall playing Netball. I couldnt put my finger back in aand had to go to hospital where it took a doctor, orthpedic surgeon and myself to put it back in as it was so stiff.

received_10155780683859515.jpeg

pinkboy

Last edited: 6th Sep, 2017
    Redwing, Perthguy and The Y-man like this.
  3. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Fractured spine - L4& L5 - Playing Aussie Rules in the annual grudge match between the Melbourne. University Table Tennis club and the Monash Uni Table Tennis club .

4. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I've had my share.

Some highlights:
    • Hockey stick to the jaw, clean break - overly eager guy in high school wound up to belt the ball into orbit, missed and followed through into my face
    • Two broken teeth - racing bikes with friends in street, was in lead and was rammed from behind. Face first into the road. I lost the race and half of my face.
    • Right foot + 3 toes - my fault. Free weights and bare feet don't mix
    • Cricket ball to face - my fault. Top edged a ball which found its way under my helmet grill
    • "Exertion headache" - weightlifting, my fault. Last rep of leg extension, held breath when should have exhaled. Huge "POP" (like an explosion in my brain) then the most excruciating headache I've experienced in my life. Headache lingered for a couple of weeks. Went back to gym after a month and first rep on the bench with correct breathing and low weight, "POP". Again. So took about 3 months off then all good.

Renorookie likes this.
  5. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

here's a few of mine, not as scary as yours. me being in fight sport when i was younger there will be a few less common injury.

when protection between the legs was considered "pussy" i was kick in the nuts, he went for my head, miss me head but his leg on the way down caught my other "head". just a cut no long term injury but a scar to tell.. still kicked his arse, got the bronze medal. but coach and my parents say no to the final match as they rush me to the hospital to protect the crown jewel.
    i have another cut on my left shoulder.. similar thing happen just this time was some dude's elbow.. he missed my head but cut my shoulder.. freak accident this one.. i keep telling people i was in a street fight and it was a knife that caught my shoulder.. but really it was just some dude's elbow.
    both cuts are just superficial no long term damage was done.

got T boned while racing 3 friends on my push bike, my shin went into the point stuff on the gears. still have 3 dots to remind me of this accident every day.. i tell kids, it was a snake bite when i was camping. (i've never gone camping in my life)

i pull my hamstring once in soccer, and roll my ankle on basketball ( i guess both are pretty common in any sports)

thats all the memorable onces. i stop playing sports now. was in hospital 4 years ago on an illness. for 10 days waist down i cant move, never fully recovered. i think if i wasnt in australia at that point i would have died (if i was in a country without free medical/hospital as i was a student at that time.)

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I slipped my bike on wet train tracks and come down hard on my knee. It was swollen and sore but I hobbled around on it anyway. I tried cycling again 2 weeks later but it was still too sore. I ended up having a few weeks off then back on the bike. Painful as hell!

Months later I had an MRI for something else but it showed up my knee was broken. Lucky I didn't see anyone about it though because I got full use of my knee back but people who have treatment for the same injury never do. I started running after it healed, which felt very strange, but now that is my good knee and other other knee is the dodgy one :D

7. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

School indoor soccer - dislocation of left thumb
    Hockey - broken thumb and ruptured ligament. Surgery including pin/wire - had my cast made up around my hockey stick so I could still train as was going away for nations in 8 weeks
    Hockey - broken ankle ruptured ligaments. Last game of tournament, didn't go to hospital - found out years later that I had broken it as still had floating chip fractures. This has resulted in ongoing issues, I now just wear an ankle brace.
    Hockey - stick to head/eyebrow 12 stitches
    Hockey - osteitis pubis, played through this at nationals, was getting dry needling and treatment daily. Not enjoyable. Stopped playing at this level after, body couldn't take it.

8. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Freediving
    Worst one I have seen (wasnt me) was a deep black out at about 10-12m. Trying to recover an unconcious (limp) friend from that depth isnt easy, or fun. Got him back and he regained consiousness on the surface. No scares except the mental ones.

My worst injury - Got hit in the eye by a baseball. No blood - but the couldnt see out of my eye for 3-4days.

My biggest loss is the sinking (numberous) boat(s) when out diving.

Blacky

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I broke a leg last year skiing through elephant snot. Then just after being allowed to ride again with the orthopaedic surgeon's OK cane off by bike and broke my collar bone. 3 bones in one year. :eek:

At least they were bones not my AC ligament or rotator cuff. :D

158 likes this.
  10. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

Have played soccer all my life both indoor and outdoor since 5 years old...no major injuries the whole time...snap my meniscus in half mowing the lawn!

11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

A few years back I was playing in a Dart comp at the local and ended up with a dart to the back of the head.

jim1964 likes this.
  12. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Coulnt help myself! :p

images.jpg

pinkboy

13. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

Just needs another image below of dangerous lawn mowing ;)

158 likes this.
  14. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I used to fence competitively for about 10 years. I used to have a bad habit of parrying downwards and one time a weapon penetrated the protective gear into my thigh.

Sounds dramatic but it was a tiny cut with barely any blood, let alone any stitches or hospital time.

Unfortunately for this thread, modern fencing is ridiculously safe these days.

15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm either very lucky, or very resilient. Most of my injuries have been skating related, but nothing too serious.

Skating backwards at fast speed preparing for a jump. All weight to the rear of my right foot & left leg ready to jump, when I hit a grate in the floor & fly backwards, straight onto the back of my head. It didn't even knock me out, but boy did it hurt & I had an 'egg' there for a couple of weeks.

Speed skating & as I put my foot onto the floor, the rivets in the bottom of my skate gave way. Chin first onto the cement hurts like hell. This gave me a lovely dislocated jaw & a nickname of "blue beard", for the blue stitches holding my chin together.

About a year later I was ice skating & fell back onto my chin & reopened the wound. It was nowhere near as dramatic as the first one & only a very gentle fall by comparison, but it still needed stitching up.

Playing roller hockey I skidded into the corner of brick wall at high speed. It 'corked' the side of my calf & was painful for weeks afterward. I had an indentation right in the side of the calf for weeks & it hurt to even walk on it.

Back in my 20's I did 'pairs freeskating' which is when the man lifts the woman above his head while travelling at speed & twirling down the floor. He will also lift & 'throw' the lady where she will rotate & land backwards on one foot. Too many falls to mention, where I'd jump straight back up & do it all again. No major injuries.....until 10 years ago, when I had osteoarthritis & they tied the age of the multiple stress fractures in my hip, to the years when I had all the nasty falls. After having a full hip replacement, I'm back on my skates again.

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You shouldn't block the Maori who's turn it is to be throwing the dart.

datto likes this.
  17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Many serious injuries all around PC :eek:

Never got serious injury (and hopefully never ever)
    I fell from a bike when learning and ended up with big bruises that lasted for 2 weeks (and can't still ride a bike properly).
    Cramped my neck a couple of time getting toppled by waves, but all managable with massage and osteo.

The rat race gave me chronic shoulder and neck pain, and increasing dislike of human interaction

18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No. There was a fight near the bar and the dart came from that direction. I was collateral damage.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  19. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Not serious but the other night at my HIIT class we were supposed to pick up a slam ball (weighted ball that doesn't bounce) and squat and slam it into the ground. I was standing in the wrong spot and picked up a basketball type medicine ball instead of the slam ball and slammed it into the ground, it then bounced back and smacked me in the chest! Was a bit embarrassing