Your weekend projects

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jess Peletier, 11th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Started a deck before winter set in too, still need to do fascia and steps;

Before (excuse my brother in the photo)

image.png

Some bearers
    image.png
    Laying out the decking:
    image.png
    image.jpeg
    Result;
    image.jpeg

Will attend to the finishing touches come spring time.

Currently getting the fences done as well.

Kassy, Redwing, Phase2 and 5 others like this.
  2. scienceman

scienceman Well-Known Member

I did a bit on my boat project (more exciting than working on the house). I am fitting an underfloor fuel tank and have to modify the compartment as it is not custom made (plastic tank). I had previously finished making my own vinyl clears after the tradesman failed to turn up twice and saved about $250 out of the $300 he quoted.

3. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Sanded, painted stain blocker, sanded, painted undercoat, sanded and painted semi-gloss topcoat, together with my missus, over the whole last weekend, starting Friday night till Sunday night:

Overall satisfied, but not much with the range hood. It's a bit outdated. Will look at replacing all the appliances when the current tenant moves out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kassy, chindonly, PJ1 and 7 others like this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

@cherubym that looks amazing! So fresh and lovely!

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good stuff! Busy busy busy.
    How long did it take to knock up the deck?

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Looks great! :)

Looks really good. With the colour of the cabinets the benches actually look great now. That's an impressive effort.

7. dmo

dmo Active Member

Spent the a couple weekends recently repainting two rooms and dropping in some ikea storage in my PPOR. One of the bedrooms repainted is now my study/office. Bedroom/wardrobe photo shows the skirting still needs to be refitted. Got a little trigger happy on the pics.

Also, painting a dark jarrah door frame and skiting boards white took a good 4 coats to make sure it was spotless too! Sarge the companion was a great help as always.

Attached Files:

Kassy, Perthguy and WattleIdo like this.
  8. Perthguy

New stairs. I love them!

20160722_120932_resized.jpg

Kassy and bob shovel like this.
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

They'll take you to high places! :D

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Perthguy

Unfortunately, they are not a stairway to heaven. The back of the house (low part) is the good part. I could fix the rest with a bulldozer ;)

dmo and bob shovel like this.
  11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It turns out that we needed to get a different axle and wheels so we can mount power-assisted brakes. We collect the axle in the morning. Last week we collected the steel and built the chassis.

I started to remove the last remnants of the vegie patch (which drowned during the summer storms) and the space it took up in the back yard will become a fire pit over the next few week ends. Should be completed after Winter ends, but it's never too hot to light fires.

Attached Files:

Kassy and bob shovel like this.
  12. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Too many projects, and paving! Received a quince tree during the week and a mulberry yesterday in exchange for a donation so this weekends project will be the planting of both! And returning the brick pallets for return of deposit!

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  13. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Was in Sydney last weekend for a project which got cancelled last minute, so I grabbed a ute and headed to a regional NSW IP that had just become vacant for some tidy up work before reletting. 3.5 hours drive from Sydney.

- Removed climbing ivy from front verandah, removed rotted section of pergola and repaired remaining. Poor weather prevented painting or fence repair work
    - Re-tiled bath and shower recess, re-adhered drummy tiles. Fortunately found a box of old tiles under house to use.
    - Repainted window frames in bedrooms due to flaking paint
    - Repainted entrance door exterior frame
    - Removed dated lacework curtains and installed more modern sheer privacy curtains in bedrooms
    - New curtains in meals area
    - Old items disposed of from cupboards etc
    - Door stoppers on all doors
    - Reattached laundry tub to wall firmly

And a few other bits and pieces. Easy to knock over in a day and a half

Balman likes this.
  14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

@DaveM what do you do for tools? Locked up in Sydney? Good productive trip by the sounds :)

15. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Yeah at my sydney office and also in garage at my former ppor (rented to friends so easy access)

bob shovel likes this.
  16. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

That looks amazing! If the appliances are still working fine I wouldn't bother replacing them. If they're a bit discoloured you might find that a cut and polish will bring them back.

17. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

They are working fine. I have no experience in dealing with steel/metal cut and polish. I guess we will need to spray paint. Need to learn how to do that without taking them out.

18. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Cork Tiles are back in, weekend job #231 cancelled :cool:

WattleIdo likes this.
  19. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Cut and polish is normally a 2-step process. "Cutting" is basically removing the dirty oxidised layer of paint/enamel, it will leave the surface looking clean but dull. Polish makes it shiny again!
    I've never done this on appliances before, but I'd try something like ArmourAll Liquid Cut and Polish, it's an all in one and should be pretty easy to use. I think you can get it at Woolies/Coles , it costs less than $20 and only needs some elbow grease and a decent cloth to make it work. Test a small area first, and use small amounts at a time.

Painting might be ok for your oven, but I wouldn't do it on the gas hob. Even the "heat-proof" enamel paints you buy aren't really made for direct flame temperatures.

If none of that works, I'd only look to replace the appliances if tenants in the area were demanding the best and were prepared to pay for it.. even if you replaced on the cheap you'd be looking at ~$1200 + installation + removal and disposal of the old ones.. are you likely to get an extra $10/wk for new appliances?

Last edited: 29th Jul, 2016
  20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hehe, cool. You need the big dogs for the big jobs.

dmo likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice