your timepiece!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 380, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yep, we get it. Nobody needs a watch anymore.

Jog on :)

MTR, hobo and mrdobalina like this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I always find it easier when doing a lecture or presentation to quickly look at my (analogue) watch than a phone (the rooms are not always decked out with clocks - or when they are, they are usually behind you!)

The Y-man

hobo likes this.
  3. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Since I stopped working in the corporate environment, I have found I rarely wear my watches. The missus has been planning to buy me a special watch when I turn the big 4-0 in a few years. Been checking out Pateks.... But now I'm inclined to say no! o_O

4. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

5. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

I was keeping an eye out for a gold watch (gold plate, not real) while in Europe in 2008 on my honeymoon. I naively walked into a shop in Milan that sold Rolex and Cartier and asked to see one of the yellow gold Cartier watches on display. They sat me down and presented the watch in a fancy black felt box and let me put it on. It was nice but the face was a bit bigger than I wanted. I asked how much, they said 22,000 Euros (exchange rate at the time was 1 AUD = 0.5 Euros). I somehow managed to not react to the price at all and asked if there was a smaller version. So they brought out a smaller version but it was a bit too small and happened to be rose gold whereas I wanted yellow gold. How much? 13,000 Euros. I asked about an in-between size but they didn't have one. And with that I politely left. My budget walking there was a laughable $1000 AUD.

I ended up buying a Citizen Ecodrive for 250 Euros that hadn't been released in Australia at the time. When I got back to Australia I had to wait 6 months before I could order links for it. Turned out to be worth the wait vs buying here as the release price here was over $650. Score!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I only wear it on weekends (usually use my phone, don't like wearing watches with a long sleeve shirt), but I picked up one of these classic timepieces off ebay for around $35 earlier in the year.

casio.jpg

Scott No Mates likes this.
  7. The Y-man

Oh man, my first digital watch! (was done in plain s/s though)

Awesome unit - lasted many years until the LCD drivers eventually gave way.

The Y-man

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I heard it was a mystery buyer... Sources told me the initials of the buyer were MM... Hmmm..that wouldn't be @Bran would it???

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Not many watches have a long sleeve shirt.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

You give away all my secrets.

JDP1 likes this.
  11. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Never been into this stuff before, but need to start appreciating some finer things after being cheap for so long...
    Still far away from some of the high rollers here, but anybody know anything about EBEL watches?
    Was browsing online and this model and it's close variants appeal to my style:
    Ebel Sport Wave Herren Uhr Stahl/gold 38mm Papiere for AU$ 818 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24
    Ebel SportWave Herrenuhr Stahl/Gold 18 Karat for AU$ 1,061 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24
    Seems like an older model and a few are getting sold by online traders in mint or near mint condition.
    Is there anything to be weary of if buying one of these online from overseas?

12. The Y-man

"Time" to resurrect this thread :D

Well rather surprisingly the WS220 died!!! :(

So using this as an excuse, went to get my "dream watch"

upload_2021-4-6_13-3-8.png

Because I wanted an digital/analogue, solar power, with light and this had the bonus of bluetooth connect to automatically adjust to local time through your mobile. And of course it is a real G-shock so if you are unfortunate enough to be in a plane crash, as long as the plane does not burn, your watch will likely outlive you.... (hmmm...)

Anyway, I discovered
    • I don't like big watches - I just couldn't get used to the weight of it
    • Maybe I didn't need the analogue hands after all.... (could be becasue I don't do a lot of face to face classes these days!!)
    • and worst of all - it doesn't have a SNZ function!!!!! (nooooooo!)
    Anyway, while I was regretting my purchase, my friend was saying how great the watch was, and how he wanted a g-shock for his collection, so I said I'll swap with him for a cheaper watch, which was going to be better suited for me.

Enter the GW-B5600......

upload_2021-4-6_13-10-25.png

It's retro, all resin, but it is LIGHT and has a SNZ alarm!! :D:D:D
    ..and still has the bluetooth connect too (didn't even have to touch the watch with the change in daylight savings last week - automatically did it)

It's so light that I forgot I was wearing it while doing some reno work (uh oh) and got paint onto it (damn rollers), but this one is a glass face unlike my WS series so no prob :) (lucky I wasn't doing oil based!!)

The Y-man