your timepiece!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 380, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

TAG, still looks good after 15 years.
    Suunto for outdoors.

Dont forget to wind your clocks forward 1 second tonight folks, leap second at midnight.

2. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Am in the market for a watch since my Swiss Army one ( gift for our engagement ) stopped ticking a few months ago. Had the Swiss Army watch for 10 years. Very sentimental but, I do miss wearing a watch.

I had my eyes on a Tag H, was in a watch store over the weekend and, the sales person made a comment about how he gets a lot of repairs for Tags.

I am a little fussy I suppose, I have a preference for one that is Swiss made/built and, could last me a while.

Any suggestions in terms of good brands, apart from Tag H. Price range around 1200 - 1500 A$ mark.

Thanks.

3. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@trinity168

I can tell you I never had issue with Tag H.

trinity168 likes this.
  4. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

How long have you had your Tag for?

Thanks!

5. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

My Maurice Lacroix watch has been in the cabinet since the battery run out about 5 years ago... Since then always relying on mobile phone

6. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Around 8 years!!

trinity168 likes this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

A ZTE :)

ta
    rolf

8. MoneyMan

MoneyMan Well-Known Member

I have a couple vintage Russian Soviet era watches

inertia, Genia and Tillie like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So what do you wear now/today, care to share:)

MTR

10. MoneyMan

MoneyMan Well-Known Member

never heard of that name, what model is that Rolf?

11. Genia

Genia Member

Wearing Tag. The tough one, as I am clumsy and make many scratches and forget to take them off before going for a swim. Also had bought as a gifts Longines and Tissot for the ppl who turned out did not deserve it.

When it is time to change a battery (which I did 2 weeks ago) it is a big headache. The option is to drive to city to service centre to drop off and pick up. Or to send by mail and get it shipped back with courier (and then chase the courier with missed delivery). Or to drop it off in jewelry shop where I bought this watch and wait 10 weeks.

It makes me think, that when we buy and posses expensive fine items, it takes our freedom away. We are becaming the slaves of those things

The same thing is with the holidays. You can be locked-in in expencive hotel with tour guides taking you places or you can explore more in depth the place you are visiting with $100 in your pocket.

There is a TV show, where a guy and a girl travel overseas. One has unlimited credit card, another has $100 in cash. So they have to feed, accommodate, and entertain themselves on this budget. Somehow the person with $100 in her/his pocket has more interesting experience.

WattleIdo and Westminster like this.
  12. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

My trusty old Citizen 100m water resistant SS watch died a cpl of months ago (after 15 years). I need a replacement and would like something a bit fancier, but am struggling to find anything that fits all my criteria.

Not even really sure how much I am willing to spend. Am open to suggestions?

Must haves:
    - stainless steel or duo-tone, but if duo then not TOO much yellow gold
    - water resistant to 100m
    - safety catch
    - date on face

Preferences:
    - white face
    - diamond accents?

13. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I think I know the TV show..
    they say that necessity is the mother of all invention..
    With 100 bucks in your pocket in a foreign land, they need get creative quickly..which often results in authentic, rich, and interesting experiences.

14. Genia

Genia Member

The one I am talking about is in Russian Language. My mum told me about this one when they had an episode about Melbourne.

15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Oh ok..they have another show with a seemingly similar context: one party with lots of cash, and the other with v.little and cameras follow how each group lives/manages.

Genia likes this.
  16. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

I like watches, but I tend to be very hard on them.

I have a Rolex Datejust Steel / 14ct gold on a jubilee bracelet that my wedding ring was made to match (the watch was a wedding present from Mrs B). It is in a drawer in need of a repair (I temporarily killed it).

For daily watches I always go for diver's rated watches. Over the past 20 yrs I have had a succession of Seiko's (6309, 7002, 7S26), and a couple of citizens (Aqualand Duplex, a 1970's auto citizen cal 6001).

Current watch is an Invicta 1542 Pro Reserve Diver. It's large (47mm) and rated to 500m. It is a quartz (meh), but I was looking for a no-nonsense watch I could just ignore knowing it would keep the time and after 6 months it is still within 10 seconds of perfect time.

Steinhart do some nice watches.

Or a vintage Tudor or Omega.

Or keep saving and buy the greatest watch of all time (imo).

17. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

I went to the Apple store today to get a iPhone repaired. The guy who served me was wearing a Patek Nautilus. Holy crap! (For those not aware... They cost about $35k)

18. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I got a Tag (yes genuine) for my 21st within a couple of years the gold coloured parts of the dial (diving watch) were wearing. Had it stolen and replaced it with a Gucci one - has worked fine and still looks new after more than a decade.

19. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

20. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

A friend recently bought an Audemars Piguet for a touch over 30k. Beautiful watch but the price does make my eyes water a bit!