Your Favourite Suburb(s)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by febstyle, 14th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I love Northmead where I live currently, I have also loved some of the other suburbs I have lived in. Not sure I have a top 5 though

1) Northmead
    2) Wattle Grove

I moved 14 times in 9 years, I lived in lots of suburbs but those two were the ones I liked. My least fave was probably Randwick back in the 90's

2. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

I live, work and play in Paradise
    #1-5 = Cairns, Qld

Been too many places with previous defence job, and decided to settle here at the ripe age of 23 lol. I like wearing summer clothes all year round and the cold kills me, southern cities dont even get a look in

bob shovel and juzzy like this.
  3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Strange how preferences differ.
    Can't understand how you'd take Northmead & Wattle Grove over Randwick.
    We are both 40 years old and I lived in Randwick until early 2000's, so have seen it well.

I guess the question is, what is it about your chosen suburbs you like?

CK_Invest and Dan Donoghue like this.
  4. Dan Donoghue

Well it wasn't so much to place but the people, My GF at the time and I would go to the pub and get chatting to people, when the topic of where we grew up / went to school came up, they tended to shy away from me because I was from the west, there was a big us and them complex back then as far as I could see. Further to this, I was paying all this money yet the bus trip was not really much faster than my train from out west, I never ever got a seat as opposed to the trains from out west where I always got one. These are all little things but there was nothing about Randwick that made me say "Wow, what a place", a real shame in my eyes because I went there with every expectation that the place would take my breath away compared to where I grew up, beach close by, close to the big smoke etc etc etc.

I also found that I was paying ludicrous amounts of rent to live in a sub standard 2br unit when I knew I could live somewhere much nicer (but out west) for less money.

Northmead for me is home, I feel at home, I feel safe, I have a great friend network having lived here for 9 years now (I say friend network but I really just mean the regulars and staff at the bowlo lol). I love the local shops and how they still feel "local" as opposed to Winston Hills shopping centre which is huge (but we do go there when we need).

Wattle Grove I loved because I thought it was just a very nice, well maintained suburb. The trip to work on the train was super fast (being the airport line)

5. juzzy

juzzy Well-Known Member

What do you do in the defence force?

6. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I know what you mean.
    Some places you just feel like you belong/fit in compared to others.
    I wouldn't live in a suburb like Double Bay, even though we can afford a nice house/lifestyle there, would just feel weird due to the high level of snobbery.

bob shovel and Dan Donoghue like this.
  7. Dan Donoghue

You can take Dan out of the west mate but you can't take the West out of Dan ;)

8. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

Nothing, i left defence to live in paradise.

Bran likes this.
  9. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Really depends on if I like them to visit or if I like it to live in. To visit would be anywhere near the beach probably
    1 - Portsea
    2 - Sorrento
    3 - Ocean Grove
    4 - Barwon Heads
    5 - Cowes
    (Not biased which side, I enjoy them all for different reasons)

To live though I would not want to live in any of theose suburbs (miles from work, not a heap to do, which is fun whilst on holidays but ...)so in that regard:
    1 - Moonee Ponds
    2 - South Melbourne
    3 - Richmond
    4 - Maribyrnong
    5 - Yarravile

Gary_Melb likes this.
  10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Sydney is a great place to visit! It's so much more enjoyable as a holiday.
    When was the last time sydneysiders jumped on the ferry from circular quay to Watson's Bay then headed down to Bondi?or went to the zoo or walked the harbour bridge? It's one thing to be able to say you live there, but it's another to actually enjoy it!
    (im sure there are peoplethat do enjoy it)

ellejay, Sannie and Dan Donoghue like this.
  11. Bentley

Bentley Well-Known Member

Rose Bay or Vaucluse. Hoping to buy a house and move there in the near future.

12. Dan Donoghue

Originally being from the UK, I am still blown away by Australia, I spent over 10 years driving across the bridge to work and not a trip went by without me looking across to my left on the way in and seeing the opera house and just thinking to myself, I am one lucky SOB to be able to see this every morning.

I also have been known to take tourist holidays in my own town, I have visited loads of restaurants, museums and even done the bridge climb :).

I know I will eventually leave Sydney, I want to make sure I have seen the best it has to offer before that happens :).

I also love when we have family visit from overseas, it's a great opportunity to get out there and see it all again but even without family visiting, Wife and I like to hop in the car and head up the mountains for a day or out to Manly or Collaroy / Narrabeen. So many amazing places around Sydney to see :).

ellejay, EN710, Sannie and 3 others like this.
  13. Cia

Cia Well-Known Member

Greenwich
    Kirribilli
    Balmain East
    Clovelly/Cremorne
    Woolwich

In no particular order but all arguably blue chip suburbs. I move alot as I like to explore the suburbs and be somewhere I can get to the city in less than 15 mins, without the tourists, where I can see and swim in the ocean or ocean baths or both. Need plenty of services, great schools, good restaurants, shops and gelato. I also crave the "Sydney" uniqueness which is colonial heritage and buildings, that great harbour and ocean and food. Transport is a concern because it's inadequate too and those ferrys present the nicest way to get to work I've found yet.

While I love Clovelly and used to live there, I find the number of tourists now unbearable along with the parking issues, cost and time to the city and cabfare to the CBD is ridiculous. I can see why Crows Nest is popular but places like Greenwich and Wollstonecraft are just lovely to live in and closeby 10 mins walk to either St Leonards or Wollstonecraft station, quick to go to anywhere north or south or west on the ferry, with nice views and walks along the harbour/river - the Lane Cove National Park is adjacent to Greenwich and you could be in the bush (I lived in Greenwich). Ultimately I think Balmain East is pretty cool, the ferry is 9 mins to city, north sydney, darling harbour, great views, great NYE fireworks, Dawn Fraser pool, great amenities, restaurants, facilities, shopping, schools and genuine Sydney colonial heritage is everywhere. Getting a bit busy in Balmain itself but the east end is lovely.

I find the peninsula suburbs are nicest to live in - they're not "through" suburbs so for that reason, so traffic is light, they're seriously quiet and "out of the city" living feeling. Kirribilli is a bit busy but for convenience and closeness to the city, that amazing North Sydney salt water pool, Milsons Point station, Luna Park, great views and a true Sydney heritage, outstanding schools and feeling it makes the list.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  14. jc007

jc007 Member

I don't see the point of this thread, people will just list the area they grew up from and areas around it

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  15. Blue Cat

Blue Cat Member

In Sydney -

1. Bella Vista (Big, beautiful houses, nice lakes, commercial business park, major train station coming, easy access to fast T-Way bus to work in the CBD, most upmarket suburb in Sydney's Hills)

2. Concord (Best suburb in Sydney's Inner West IMHO, mostly owner occupiers and retirees, nice heritage houses, <10km from CBD, close to employment & shopping hubs like Parramatta, Strathfield, Macquarie Park)

3. North Epping (Love the national parks and bush, wildlife in your backyard, peaceful streets, friendly family orientated people. No medium/high density dwellings and not as busy as Epping and Beecroft yet close enough for convenience.

16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Whereabouts do you live now? Curious.

17. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

In Perth

- Subiaco/Shenton Park
    - Claremont
    - Dalkeith
    - Cottesloe
    - Nedlands

18. Blue Cat

Blue Cat Member

We recently bought a new PPOR in Winston Hills as we were priced out of the actual Hills District for what we were searching for, a 4-2-2 under 15 years old, <$1.2m. Hoping our IPs perform well enough over the next few years for us to use the equity to upgrade to a similar home in a more desirable suburb in the Northern Suburbs or Inner West.

19. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Expensive taste

Cia likes this.
  20. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Not a suburb but still Australian territory.

Lord Howe Island, no where else compares and daylight second.